Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stolen/borrowed pics ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stolen/borrowed pics ?

I am struggling with a conscience decision.......If you knew a photographer was claiming someone else's pictures what would you do?
    cheers
    Jan

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jan, if it involves AP in any way send a pm to Rick first up.

If it doesn't involve AP then the answer is perfectly clear to me, tell the "photographer" that you know exactly what they are doing either face to face or via the ether.
    If you know the person/s that the "photographer" is stealing the photos from, tell them as well.
    If it is a "friend" that is stealing the photos, do you really want them as a friend.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on circumstances, you, legally, may have no choice - accessory after the fact.

But, that is probably a little extreme :P

But, I suppose if you knew someone who was robbing banks, would you report the person? Just because the crime is of less monetary value, doesn't mean it is less bad.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's about as low as it gets in the photography/arts world. hmm, do you know either of them ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricstew View Post
    I am struggling with a conscience decision.......If you knew a photographer was claiming someone else's pictures what would you do?
    cheers
    Jan
    I take it you know some one is taking credit for photos that weren't taken by him ? Is this on a forum? commercially been used ? Used on a home page? probably we need more information as all would need a different approach.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phooey no its not on a forum.......I followed a link to a link on FB.....and there they were " my first wedding ".........but I was at that wedding......it was my niece......I helped mum design and sew that wedding dress The gentleman who photographed that wedding is no longer around here. I am 98.99999 % there was no second shooter. I have looked at the printed album! I have tried to find a website for who I think is the owner of the pics but no luck so far Craploa.... I know the person was mentored by him at one stage but I don't recall them attending this wedding at all.......however I will check with the brides mum. I know who videoed it and it wasn't this person either.
    However the person has quite a following locally........do I be pi#$$ed of discretely? I can see that I would be the royal " bi#$$^" if I am not careful.......phooey phooey phooey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly dose it relay matter life is too short

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My thoughts. Be 110% sure before you say anything to anyone, on the above information. If you are wrong, you could end up in court for defamation or more. Remember this is someone's business and livelihood. If you accuse them, you need to be VERY sure!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    see if they are in the aipp too
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I hadn't seen them ...
    I know the pro guy is >> in the aipp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry guys im sitting in the BG just reading.
    What is aipp
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aust int of pro photography. If you could prove it I'd take to them. They'd have a very dim view I'd expect. Maybe pm William longshots for some advice

I personally wouldnt let it go as it's deplorable if true

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up Darren
    Last edited by Duane Pipe; 17-01-2011 at 8:03pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Rick. Unless you can provide solid evidence, leave it.

On the other hand, if you can provide the evidence, I think you should inform the owner and the aipp. Then, it's outta your hands and you can clear you conscious.

Scotty

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Pipe View Post
    Sorry guys im sitting in the BG just reading.
    What is aipp
    Australian Institute of Professional Photography

http://www.aipp.com.au
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mic
    So if they are on face book only what has he/she to gain, a wow look at me or can something more come of it like marketing and ultimately sales if so I would consider letting the cat out,
    I have so many times taken images off the net in the past without any respect to the photographer but now after joining AP I have learnt to respect other photogs images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not uncommon for pro photographers to even use stock photos to showcase their skills. I'm sure William if he pops in will attest to that

It's simply misleading and I would say darn close to breaching the fair practice act

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After much soul searching and discussions with hubby I am gonna leave it alone......unless I have positive proof and then I will send it to the owner. I found his website. Stuff like this really puts me off although I know it happens in other industries too. I dislike dishonesty Thanks for the advice guys.
    cheers
    Jan

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was contacted by another photographer about someone that had stolen one of my images and was using it in her portfolio (mine and alot of others). I am very appreciative to the photographer and was able to take appropriate action.

Personally,in this situation I would either a) contact the photographer and ask how they got the photo of your nieces wedding as you know they were not the pro photographer and/or b) have your niece contact the photographer to find out how that person has her wedding photo as they were not the hired tog - apart from copyright issues, I think their may be privacy issues for wedding photos (unless the photog has a signed agreement stating they own the copyright and can display the photo).

Either way, if this photographer has a legitimate claim to use the photo they will let you know without you having to outright call them a thief - which is important, they may have just been a guest at the wedding taking photos and now have gone into business (something your niece probably can confirm as she would know the names of her wedding guests).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh I could not let this go. I think about how much time, effort planning etc that has gone into producing those photographs. Would it be any different to pinching someones, painting, picture or other artwork?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast