User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: (NTP) : Aperture Challenge : 2011

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The f22 was slower. It was one while the 4.5 was 1 / 25 which I assume means one 25th of a second. Is that right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daggert View Post
    1 / 25 which I assume means one 25th of a second. Is that right?

yep
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] K100d super 18-50mm sigma kit lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
    Thank you for explaining

I think I'm confusing myself with not being able to understand the 'terminology'.
    My thinking was that: smaller f stop means a smaller number e.g. f2.8 = a large 'hole' or aperture opening
    and larger f stop means a larger number e.g. f22 = a small 'hole' or aperture opening.

So, if I understand your explanation correctly then the term f stop actually describes the size of the 'hole' i.e. aperture opening and not the f number.
    Aperture numbers are actually fractions - but people tend to leave off the numerator. So an f2.8 is actually an f1/2.8, and f22 is actually f1/22. If you remember this then it makes more sense that f2.8 is a bigger hole than f22 - because one 2.8th is much bigger than one 22th. Sometimes you will see f numbers written as fractions or ratios, eg f1:2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AAAAAAH!!!!!
    They're FRACTIONS!!!!

That makes SOOOOO much more sense to me now!
    I REALLY wanted to kill the guy who decided that "2.8 was a bigger hole than 22"... it confused the hell out of me always thinking "now.... with F-stops I have to think backwards, right? hang on....."

But NOW I'm just going to think of the F as a fraction, 1/2.8 or 1/22... which is smaller? 1/22 - so that's the smaller apeture!

It's probably elsewhere on the forums, but this is a GREAT thread to bring up that point - thanks macrocephalic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I had a blinding flash of learning when I recently went through the New To Photography section on this website, and realised the F-stop is the RATIO between the full lens diameter and the aperture diameter (how big is the opening of the aperture 'leaves'). For some reason that had never 'clicked' in my head.

Also, I think it partly explains why low F-stop lenses are more expensive, as they require the aperture to be very open. So the lens glass needs to be super-accurate, and the leaves of the aperture need to be able to open up very wide. Tricky design, I dare say.
    Last edited by cfm; 07-03-2011 at 11:04am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DSC_0627.JPGDSC_0628.JPG
    SPINY LEAF INSECT
    I took this photos with my Nikon D90, using the Tamron Macro 90mm lens. The first image was taken with an aperture of 3.5 and the second image 40.
    I really liked this challenge, I have learnt something new today!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love your photo - I'm off to google your Tamron lens now to see the price of it.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great work everyone. Hope you have learnt from this challenge and it allows your photography to improve along with your knowledge. Keep practising and the more you do, the more you will understand about how cameras work. Another challenge will be coming soon.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Artylady,
    Thank you for your comment. * removed. members with under 30 days membership and 50 posts cannot discuss, promote commercial companies on AP *
    I am very happy with the lens so far, however, I initially wanted to buy the Nikon AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED Lens, which is reviewed as a much better lens. The reason why I went with the Tamron is because my budget is limited, and of course the Nikon lens is a lot more expensive.
    Good luck with your lens hunting.
    Noema
    Last edited by ricktas; 08-03-2011 at 8:23pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided the stick with the theme of 'just the plants out the back' to start with.
    I used my 18-55mmVR kit lens

1st photo f/22, 1/60

The smaller aperture produced a greater depth of field, with most of the shot in focus. Shutter speed was slower - obviously to let more light in.

2nd photo f/5.6, 1/1000

The larger aperture created a shallower depth of field, with the flowers in the foreground in focus, but the background out of focus. Shutter speed was faster - to let in less light and not overexpose the image?
    I also experimented with taking some photos inside and noticed that at the same apertures, the shutter speeds were slower. I'm assuming this was to do with the low lighting indoors, therefore shutter opens for longer to compensate for low light? I guess this could be changed by adding flash or adjusting the ISO, and if so then would this then make the shutter speed faster?
    Also, I was wondering why my lens says f/3.5-5.6 but the lowest aperture I could set it to was 5.6?
    Last edited by Briar; 03-05-2011 at 4:38pm.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good photos there Briar, they have hopefully taught you how to use aperture to creatively change the results of future photos. Understanding which aperture blurs the background, gives you a starting point to getting some great portraits.

Quote Originally Posted by Briar View Post
    Also, I was wondering why my lens says f/3.5-5.6 but the lowest aperture I could set it to was 5.6?
    Your lens is an 18-55 f3.5 - f5.6. What this means is that at 18mm the largest aperture you can use is f3.5 and at 55mm the largest is f5.6. In between those, say at 30mm you might find f4.5 is the limit. Hope that help you understand the nomenclature and how it relates to your lens
    Last edited by ricktas; 03-05-2011 at 7:56pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok here is my effort. I was having a bit of a play with my new Sigma 17-70 and taking really random pics. These photos of the creek behind my house showed up the big difference when the aperture is changed. Great seeing these results to help me learn.

f4

f32

I see the exposure slow down as the aperture gets smaller, I assume it's trying to get more light in. Great lessons!

EDIT: Standby, can't get the attachments to work haha!

EDIT: Thanks ricktas!
    Last edited by Dizzle; 19-05-2011 at 11:31pm.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle View Post
    Ok here is my effort. I was having a bit of a play with my new Sigma 17-70 and taking really random pics. These photos of the creek behind my house showed up the big difference when the aperture is changed. Great seeing these results to help me learn.

f4

f32

I see the exposure slow down as the aperture gets smaller, I assume it's trying to get more light in. Great lessons!
    Your links do not comply with Flickr's required standard. Please see the Flickr Linking thread in the How Do I, Library section

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey ricktas, I haven't posted for a while so I am locked out from a lot of pages. Have researched as much as I possibly can but am restricted.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle View Post
    Hey ricktas, I haven't posted for a while so I am locked out from a lot of pages. Have researched as much as I possibly can but am restricted.
    Yep. your inactive status left you with a lot less site access, but now you are posting again it will come back shortly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep all good....thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123