User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Autofocus motors in cameras and lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Autofocus motors in cameras and lenses

I have a D3000. As I understand it, this camera doesn't have an autofocus motor and I must buy lenses with AF-S in the tittle (the "S" meaning the lens has an autofocus motor).

I am noticing there is a massive price difference between AF lenses and AF-S lenses.

I am assuming the fastest autofocas would be if you have a motor in both the lens and the camera?

Is this true, and is there anything else I am not taking into account?
    Last edited by I @ M; 13-01-2011 at 4:27pm. Reason: Fixed typo in thread title.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In point form.

The D3000 must have AF-S lenses in order for autofocus to work. The camera will work perfectly fine with manual focus lenses that have a CPU chip also. The camera will not acheive autofocus with AF-D lenses.

The price differences have factors other than just the difference between AF and AF-S. There are some very expensive AF lenses and some very inexpensive AF-S lenses.

Only one type of focus is working at any one time. A camera body with an inbuilt focus motor will only operate an AF-S lens by the motor built into the lens.

There are a few things that you are not taking into account and you will probably need to d a little study initially to get it clear in your own mind as to which lens is which and does what but there are a few people on here that will happily help you with your queries.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)