User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Is Australia the dumping ground for old models?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Australia the dumping ground for old models?

We had a German couple stay with us for a few days and he had bought an Asus eepc in Germany for his travels to store photos and keep in touch with family and friends ( facebook, email, etc. ) and having read reviews of the earlier versions of these pocketable machines I was left a little underwhelemed by them considering their price.
    it was with some surprise that I saw how very well his machine performed so I did a search for it in consideration of buying one as a travel computer.

Guess what, there is no mention of his model on the Australian Asus site and only a couple of people selling them through ( what I presume to be ) parallel imports.

It is truly sad when I can buy one direct from ( site sponsor ) B&H or a few European websites but can't buy one from a legit Aussie dealer because the presumably need to dump all the old stock on us here before they release the new version that is readily available overseas.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another great reason to send some money offshore. The retailers and distributors get no sympathy for lost sales from me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has long been the case for a whole variety of products. Very often, I look at product websites and see items that are either unavailable in Oz or available at a very steep premium.

This is especially true of electronics / software that can be locked into particular regions. The same for the fashion industry (so my fashionista friends tell me) where we are often the dumping ground for out of fashion European stock.

Look at many car ads on the idiot box: very often a car is shown but, with the fine print, "Overseas model shown. Not all styles and features may be available locally." that is often because they won't release it here for many months.

Increasingly, I compare local stuff to what is available OS. If I can't get it within a reasonable margin of what I could have it posted to me, I dodge the locals and I know more and more people who do - at my work, there is a small but growing group who pool to buy clothes and electronics from eBay and combine postage to save.

Man, Australian importers/retailers really need to lift their game. The Internet age has exposed how we have been overcharged and given the mushroom treatment.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    Man, Australian importers/retailers really need to lift their game. The Internet age has exposed how we have been overcharged and given the mushroom treatment.

Scotty
    Unfortunately, Gerry Harvey and friends who have already made mega squillions out of us just want to lift our taxes rather than lift their game. Never mind the bollocks, its the great retail swindle.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a sore point with me.

It really annoys me how Aussie distributors mark up products so much, then put an embargo on the items being sold to Australian addresses.

So either we are forced to pay exorbitant Aussie prices or go grey market or ebay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know! Why does a song from iTunes cost up to 40% more if you sign in with an Aussie account (if it is available at all?)? It is often worse at the Kindle (etc) e—store.

That is why I've created US accounts and find ways around geographic restrictions - I really resent being ripped off and treated like an idiot.

Scotty

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    I know! Why does a song from iTunes cost up to 40% more if you sign in with an Aussie account (if it is available at all?)? It is often worse at the Kindle (etc) e—store.

That is why I've created US accounts and find ways around geographic restrictions - I really resent being ripped off and treated like an idiot.

Scotty
    This I did not know.....esp as I am a massive Kindle user....so would it be better for me to use my UK account or is it IP based?
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I've given up on Kindle. Since my darling wife bought me an iPad, I've used Kobo instead. So far, I've not come across a book I've not been able to buy from Australia.
    However, the last time I tried Kindle (in Nov), I had to use an account with a US address and an IP blocker. I'm not convinced about the safety of these for transmitting credit card details so, I used a prepaid US card (just top up b4 you purchase - so you can't lose any $$$ if the details are stolen).

It is really a pain to do (ESP the credit card thing) so, I am glad I don't have to use kindle anymore.

Scotty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never thought about setting up US accounts...im assuming you need a US address?

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gerry Harvey & Myers & co-conspirators have taken us to the cleaners with the rising dollar & not correspondingly reduced prices. They are now screaming about personal OS imports (much of which can't be got here anyway) & want the Gov to collect a non feasible GST.
    When they pay their required company & personal taxes at the same rates as the average working Jack & Jill, then they may have a right to ask the Gov for help !
    This has only come about because of the rising Aust dollar. When the dollar goes down then the prices will rise further.
    Col

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry whilst I normally would agree with your sentiments but it appears to be available in Australia.

See below link - $535.00.

http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/p/11...tbook-red.html

............Added to post - sorry I did not see your last comments about possible Grey Market imports. I rechecked ASUS and the model is not listed as you stated.
    Last edited by KevPride; 12-01-2011 at 11:08pm.
    Regards
    Kevin

Nikon D500 D7200. nikkor 200-500 f5.6, Tamron 100-400, Nikkor 70-200 f4 plus other glass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevpride/