Hi Guys,

I am an active participant in the bird section of this forum and would like some advice on what to do in the following situation.

Firstly, I am paying a mortgage off one income and I don't have much spare cash to throw around so my options are limited as far as budget.

I purchased a SIGMA 120-400 DG F4-5.6 APO OS TELEPHOTO ZOOM from a leading Camera shop in Perth, who I might add have been very understanding and have done the right thing the whole time,

I immediately ran into issues with it throwing up errors on the camera. It was unsusable so I returned it.

It was replaced as DOA and the new lens had no issues with camera errors.

The new lens lasted 2 weeks before autofocus just stopped. Manual focus was fine and the lens still took pictures. So a 2 week old lens went away to be fixed.

3 weeks later a "new" lens was returned, but the lens was actually a refurb which was not only soft, but have large flecks of white stuff inside the glass.

The tripod mount was chipped and had obviously been used. So my 2 week old lens turned into a second hand one.

I returned that and they gave me a new 400mm which lasted a week or so before the autofocus died again.

I decided, instead of waiting for it to be fixed I would upgrade to the SIGMA 150-500MM DG F5-6.3 APO OS TELEPHOTO ZOOM as it wasn't a lot more.

This lens was great and lasted about 3 weeks before once again autofocus died.

The shop promptly replaced the lens with another 500. I went to my local birding haunt and took some photos. None of which were any good. The lens was so soft that even tripod and prone ground supported shots were all ruined.

I have taken this lens back and the shop is now giving it a focus test.

They told me they thought my d90 body had a back focus issue to which I replied that all of my other lenses focused fine and not one of them has had the auto focus die. (all Nikon lenses) These lenses still take sharp pictures.

So my dilemma is now what happens if they replace the lens again and it dies.

I thought about taking the body back to were I purchased it and getting it replaced but what could I say to them? All the Nikon lenses are fine.
and have no issues.

Nikon have the Nikon AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR Lens which is an old lens but might be an option. However I have heard it is not much cop for birding.

So yeah I dont know what to do in this situation and would like some advice please

Cheers

Glen