Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EOS 5D Mark II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EOS 5D Mark II

Im looking at getting a new camera. Maybe a EOS 5D Mark II.
    What do you think?
    I have always been interested in photography (more as a hobby). Now I want to be more than just an amateur photographer, improve my skills and start my own business when the time is right. To help me do this, I would be greatful for any feedback positive or negative so I can improve my skills and knowledge

β€œTo me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them.” - Elliot Erwitt

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Honestly?

Looking at your photo threads on AP, I think you should work on your photographic skills more first

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...few-zoo-photos
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...62-Yellow-Rose

Buying a new camera will NOT make you a better photographer. Start work on improving your photography skills and then when you have those down pat, then consider an upgrade
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much help , But I'd say good choice , It's on my wish list , I just need a body , As I already have a couple of EF lenses , I say go for it PS: But Rick is right, Get your Photographic skills up a bit on what your using now, A new camera is not going to improve the shots you take , It's the driver that counts
    Last edited by William; 23-12-2010 at 2:06pm. Reason: Put in PS:
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first question is why ?

People buy new kit all the time in the search for something that will improve their photography, but this is not the reason to upgrade. My view (and you can take this with a pinch of salt, or a bucket full if you like), is that you should only upgrade when you are hitting the wall with your current camera. i.e. you are using it to the maximum of its capabilities and the upgrade will allow you to do something that your current camera just isn't capable of doing.

Generally, work with your existing kit until you have mastered it. Analyse what style of photography you are most frequently doing and you may find, if you do feel the need to spend money, that a new lens might provide greater capabilities than a new body.

The 5DII is an excellent camera, but it's also a lot more camera than most people need.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Rick/Dave on this, Why do you need the 5D? and what do you hope to get from it that your current body can't achieve. More features could lead to more confusion rather than better shots.

What's your current set up? What are you trying to get with it? What is it it's lacking for you? The more specific you are here, the more people are likely to help you. If its say Portraites you shoot, there are some togs here that have spent years doing it and ironing out their mistakes, most will gladly help you, same same for landscapes, and so on. Let us know.

5D 11 is a sh@t hot camera by the way.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want the sweet sweet camera(and can afford it) don't let anyone talk you out of it

But........ The boys have shared some wise words in regards to skill level. The camera will only improve the IQ of the image. It won't make the photograph itself any better. Practice, practice, practice. Take photos!!!!

I had a 400D and bought a 5DMKII half thinking it would make my photos better. It didn't But I didn't regret buying it either Some might disagree but I've come along way from my entry into photography. Could I have stuck with my 400D for longer?....... Of course. I didn't even make use of the exceptional high ISO capabilities of the 5DII for probably close to year.

What do I think? If you can afford it.... get it. One thing to consider is that to make use of a 5DII you will need to spend more money of good glass. There is no point getting it if you don't have the best glass. You simply won't be using the camera to it's fullest. EF lenses only and preferably L.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with mrDooba, if you can afford it get it!!, and as he said if you do, do get good glass for it otherwise wait till you can. I purchased it and still have two other DSLR's and dont for one minute regret the purchase and you WILL see the difference as well as it will give you the incentive to further your skills. You will have to put some reading time as well as practic etime to work your way around some of its features but in the end its all worth the effort..
    One feature i would have liked in this camera which isnt there is only a three image bracketing, would have liked to see 5.
    I'm still learning this new toy and enjoying every minute of it. have the $$?? go buy it .
    One thing i will aslo add is not to be in a rush tobuy from the first store you walk into.. Deal & wheel and you may get it close enough to a grey market price with the benefits of Australian Local warrenty.
    What i mean by this is that i hassled with every outlet i could and showed quotes of other store prices till i got the camera to a price which justified leaving my$$ in the country and if i end up unfortunate enough to have a problem with the camera , well then i take it to the retail outlet i purchased it from and say please & thank you very much..
    At days end i as well as the retailer came aaway happy or at least i think so lol.
    If you dont haggle they wont go out of their way to do you a favour.
    Cheers
    PS hope your nexp post sez "guess what i just bought??..
    We didnt inherit this land, we merely borrow it from our Children

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wise words here already. Can I add another view-point? The 5D2 has been around for a while now, and if your only upgrading because you can, when I think wait till it's replacement comes out, I don't think it will be more than a year away. But thats only a guess. But if you really need a new camera NOW, and you have lenses that fit the 5D2, doesn't like EF-S lenses, then yes go for it, it's a great tool.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not yet asked, and I ask only due to curiosity value, but that link Rick posted to the yellow rose image indicates that you have a Pentax K10D.

This would also imply that you have Pentax lenses to play with.
    Pentax lenses don't fit Canon lenses without adapters.

Ask the correct questions before expecting the correct answers.

Why do you want the new camera? is it for any specific purpose?
    Do you want more reach, or shallower DOF in certain image types you choose to capture. Do you want lower noise or greater dynamic range form a particular scene?

etc, etc.

5DmkII is certainly a great camera, of that there is no doubt, but then again so is the Pentax K5 as well.
    Problem with the 5D route is that the lenses you may want to begin producing good images will probably cost you at least 2 x as much as the camera body itself does.

What current gear do you have? Your profile only lists the K10D, but no lenses. It also says you are a uni student.. $4-5K or so for at least two high quality lenses to go with your 5D is probably a good starting point. $4-5K is probably a lot of money for a uni student tho!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to agree with Dave's and Rick's comments.

As a 5D/5D II owner since 2006, I can tell you it's a great camera and won't leave you wanting unless you require a very fast frame rate and very accurate AF.

However, a new camera or lens is not the key to great images, and unless gear is your limiting factor, an upgrade will result in little more than a very nice camera, a much lighter wallet and images much like you're shooting how.

Definitely work on technique and improving your photography before worrying about major equipment upgrades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the 5D2 is a good camera. What camera are you using now? What lenses do you have?

If i personally were starting from scratch, i would go used 50D, 17-55 f/2.8 and maybe a 85mm f/1.8 or 100mm f/2. The 50D is also a very good all round camera and selling quite cheap for what it is.The lenses I mentioned are good quality but not too expensive. A high quality body with low quality lenses is pointless
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with the others, If you already have a DSLR, work on your technique first.

If you have a need for the facilities offered by the 5DII or just like owning one of the best cameras produced then why not, sometimes a big part of the enjoyment in any hobby is knowing you have good equipment.

For me buying the best I can possibly afford in any purchase is a must; I can't recall ever saying I wished I'd bought a cheaper item.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile 5D Mark II & current cheap price

The 5D Mark II is a great camera. And yes, a replacement for it will probably come out in 2011. However, don't forget, the Mark II can be bought for a great price at the moment. The next version of the 5D (whatever it is) will come out at full retail price and won't drop to a reasonable street price for quite some time afterwards.

For example, here in Australia, the 5D Mark II can be had for less than $3,000 (or even $2,600 if you buy a "grey import"). When it first came out, it retailed for over $4,000 and didn't drop down in price significantly for many months.

Unless you need many of the "possible" features that the new 5D *might* include (better auto focus points, for example), you might want to think about this.

Just something to keep in mind. Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarcourt View Post
    Im looking at getting a new camera. Maybe a EOS 5D Mark II.
    What do you think?
    The 5D Mk2 is a very capable camera. Paired with a Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens, at reasonable cost (~$470) it will deliver true pro-quality images. For low light photography very, very few setups will do a better job.

The 5D Mk2 is a very easy camera to use. Forget about automation- just learn how to set the camera manually. It's simple to do. And the ISO capabilities of this camera allow a lot headroom. Make a quality tripod an early priority and learn the importance of depth of field. Learn how to get the best out of your 50mm f/1.4 before you think about additional lenses - L lenses are expensive.

If buying very high quality gear aligns with your priorities, there's no reason at all why a 5D Mk2 wouldn't give you a great deal of photographic pleasure.

Ted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A second hand 5D mkI can be bought for about $800 these days, that's lots of bang for your buck, although I'd happily upgrade to a mkII if I could justify it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, joined just to see the pics that ricktas links to, that are apparently evidence of the need for skill-development. Any chance of hearing some of the constructive criticisms on how they could have been improved?
    TIA
    Last edited by tr0j; 27-12-2010 at 9:43pm.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tr0j View Post
    Hi, joined just to see the pics that ricktas links to, that are apparently evidence of the need for skill-development. Any chance of hearing some of the constructive criticisms on how they could have been improved?
    TIA
    We are all learning.
    If people want 'nice foto' go to Flickr. In this case feedback was given in each thread.
    In the examples the basics of composition and exposure need work.
    That's +ve feedback, which when taken on board helps us learn.

We back it up with a stack of resources for the how-to side of things.
    I.e. have a look at the New to Photography forum and the Learning Plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Kym. now realise my newbie hour had to pass by so I could access the thread. the feedback was useful, especially about ISO.

I don't really understand your comment about flickr, but thanks for responding!
    Last edited by Kym; 27-12-2010 at 10:33pm. Reason: fixed smile

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All ok! We encourage good Constructive Critique (CC) on AP. Not perfect, but much better than a whole lot of 'nice photo' which is what tends to happen a lot on Flickr.
    If you can handle the feedback you will learn, we are very strict about personal attack, so its safe to give and received CC.

Photography has a lot of elements that must all work together to make a great image.
    It can be daunting so we try and break it down into simple steps in the NTP forum.
    We have members who started a year or two ago knowing nothing who now win competitions (or at least make the final).

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's on my wish list , I just need a body , As I already have a couple of EF lenses
    I use 4 5D MKIIs (Underwater 1, Movies 2, Stills 1) and a word of warning, it will not accept anything but the finest glass you can throw at it as do all Full Frame cameras.

If you wish to entertain a heap of dissapointment buy the MK II and put mediocre lenses on it, this is a professional camera and consequently it insists on being treated as such.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast