I'm actually rather cheesed off right now... At a few things! After going through a fairly lengthy process of identifying my fixed costs, sale costs, allowance for expenditure etc etc, I'm finding that I'm far more comfortable in quoting people my standard prices, even people I know... But I'm also finding myself increasingly frustrated when potential clients suggest what they consider a fair price!

For example, I had a plus sized model approach me for a shoot to supply images for a piece in an online magazine... In lead up to a talk she's been asked to deliver in the US. Her reply to my quote was that it was much higher than she expected. So I ask what her budget was, to which she replied "around $50". I asked her to reconsider her budget, and she came back with $200, which was to include hair and makeup, with unrestricted use of 50 high res images.

Another was a request for a quote from a friend of my brothers, for their wedding. After sending a formal quote detailing apotheosis particulars, including a modest discount, I received a reply stating that they were shocked that they weren't getting mates rates since they know my brother...

Another recent one was a query which was referred to me via another 'photographer' whom I know, asking how much I would charge for a portrait session with her family, and supply of all images on disc. After replying with my price, the client went back to the other 'photographer' and booked a session for $80, and was supplied with 200 images on CD a week after the shoot...

I know it's been discussed time and time again, and it comes down to the fact that most people cant see the value in photography these days, but I just wanted to rant and vent my frustration! I accept that some people won't believe my services aren't worth what I'm asking for, this seems to be a common theme among many photographers I speak to... but seriously, to be asked to work for peanuts, even after you explain that you actually have costs is just plain rude IMO.

So how do you handle these types of queries?