User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Under water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under water

We are going to Fiji in September, and the trip will present many great photo opportunities! One thing I would like to do while there is try some under water photography.

Thing is, I'm pretty sure salt water isn't great for your camera!! :|

I have looked at getting a water-proof housing for my 50D, but can't really justify the expense for what will most likely be a single use item. The other option I guess would be to hire one, but I think the cost for a fortnight's hire will probably get close to buying one outright.

The other option is to buy a waterproof camera, al beit a P&S. Again, I already have a P&S so would be putting cash into a rarely used item.

So, where to from here? Does anyone know of a decent quality, relatively low cost alternative? Perhaps a cheap but functional waterproof method for DSLRs <10m?

Cheers,
    Pat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea what they cost these days but a product called EWA Marine: www.ewa-marine.com.au/start.htm Mr Google just told me might be the answer to your problem. When we used to sell them years ago the were hugely expensive but they do work and would be worth checking out. Enjoy your trip.
    pcbermagui
    pcbermagui - a camera between my ears
    A560, 18-70(kit), Tamron SP90 2.8 Macro, Sony 70-300G, PS CS5 -My photos are at pcbermagui.zenfolio.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy relatively cheap 'bag' style underwater housings.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice guys. The U-B seems to be the way to go, although there are other things I could put $300 towards... And it is a little scary to consider putting a camera, lens and speedlight in a bag under water!! :|

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't do it personally in anything less than a proper housing
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Previously mentioned the bag type try here http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/...terhousing.htm I am not recommending this to anybody just pointing to it. To see what others have said on this forum http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...Would-you-dare

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pat, i just made the same choice and bought a ikelite housing for my canon g11, and a external flash, it took care of my holiday pay$1100, but gave me some great shots ( i'll post a few later), i looked at the bag options but was not keen on them for obvious reasons. the other thing to helo in your decision is at what depth do you want to shot? anything below about 4m will require a flash to help return some colours to the image, and surprisingly the flashes cost more than the housings.

have a look at digital divers in cairns - chris- great service and quick to post, more than willing to provide you with ideas.

regards richie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 and was quite happy with my first attempt.

I learn't alot from my first outing with it so hopefully when I hit the islands in June the keeper rate will improve.
    AKA Sean

Canon 5D MKII - 24-105L - 70-200 F4L IS - 70-300 IS USM - 28 1.8 - 35L 1.4 - 50 1.4 - 85 1.8 - 100L Macro - 200L 2.8II - Tamron 17-35 2.8 - Sigma 150-500 - 430EX - and a stack of other bits and pieces.