User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Newbie gear purchasing question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie gear purchasing question.

Yello !

I'm a newbie and taking my first baby step into photography: buying my first gear.
    I've read a lot of review but I think the first problem is lack of actual experience.

I've researched and decided Canon EOS 550D is the way to go (Sorry Nikon enthusiast) because I am interested with astrophotography and Canon gear can integrate easier - unless i'm mistaken

OK.

Now the real question.
    I have the option to get the kit lens 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS lens or squeez more a little more blood and get Tamron AF 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di-II LD

So should I just squeeze it or get the kit lens?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can afford it, get the better glass.

If not, then there is nothing wrong with the kit lens, they will certainly help you learn.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with Scotty. But first up we need to know where your interests lie. What do you think you might like to photograph. For instance if you have a love for the small (insects, plants etc), then you need to probably consider that in your lens choice. But if you just want to start out and take photos of everything, then the kit lenses will allow you to learn, whilst producing some very sound quality photos. However, if this hobby becomes an obsession (and it does), then your kit lenses will most likely need replacing down the track for more 'pro' level lenses.

Considering the two lenses you are looking at, the Tamron will produce better results, BUT, this is a reflection of the photographers skills at this stage in your learning, chances are you will not see any difference at all, until you start to understand how to use you gear to force the photographic result out of the camera. Lenses are a very important component of a photographers gear, but a newbie with a $10K lens is not going to take a great photo until they learn about all the other aspects of photography and understand how to make the camera and lens work to their limits.

Confused now? Buy the best lens you can, and over time, you will learn to appreciate it.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or, just buy a Nikon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Or, just buy a Nikon!
    But, I am sure he wants a good camera instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zhen, i agree with the other comments (nikon's), but at this stage you just need any camera that allows manual selection of its functions, as this is the best way to learn what the camera is doing, once you understand how to manipulate what the camera is doing instead of shooting autoeverything then you will begin to take better photos as you will select the settings you want to produce a desired result. in some ways shooting digital it is too easy to just fire off 1000 shots and then pick out a good photo but not really understand how you got the result.
    richie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not sure on purchasing a DSLR and all that goes with it you could look at a Canon G12. I know it's not quite the same as DSLR but covers all the bases and you can even add an off-camera flash and use a remote. Good idea for those just wanting to learn and not blow the budget.

If you definitely know you want a DSLR then the Canon 550d is a great choice. I'd look at the Tamron over the kit lens but I'd also go for the VC version, it will be worth it in the end. This is a great starting lens and because it can be used at f2.8 throughout the zoom range it may be all you need for some time.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Tamron gets great reviews. Also it is light and would be a great travel lens. The fixed f2.8 is a good option.

I liked this about your photo.......To improve on it you could........Well done and keep posting

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roshoto/