Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What scanner?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive got the v700 which i think does a good job. It isnt cheap but can do medium format as well. I think the cheaper v500 can only do 35mm and medium format (?) so this might be an option if you have no large format to scan.

I have seen a contraption where someone used a dslr to 'scan' slides/negatives. From what I recall they use a tele lens with extension tubes, but i think a macro lens like the 60mm macro would work very well due to the purposely built flat image it produces. If you could get a good system going it would be much faster than scanning.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you just want 35mm go straight for a Plustek. Don't mess with the Epsons coz they are crap for 35mm.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom J McDonald View Post
    If you just want 35mm go straight for a Plustek. Don't mess with the Epsons coz they are crap for 35mm.
    (Preface: Gee, this is an old thread, but I guess people still read it.)

Tom, I might be feeling your pain a bit as I have a V700 and found the scanning of 35mm negs a bit fiddly with the carriers. But some expansion of your particular gripe would probably be of some use in this thread.

And Fabian, your...
    ...v700 which i think does a good job. It isnt cheap but can do medium format as well...
    can go better: it does 8x10 inch
    CC, Image editing OK.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no experience with them, but just to let you know there are a few other Epson models: http://www.epson.com.au/products/scanner/

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GAWRSH! This is a bitter va shock!! The price of
    $949 RRP inc GST.
    Five years ago I paid only $700 for the V700.

(Hey, what about that A3 scanner for a cool $6265!!??!!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best price so far is $795 Bing Lee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CPL Computers are the cheapest
    V500 = 325
    V700 = 725

I've done a lot of research and I'm still lost, I've heard bad things about flatbeds and 35mm, and I've had some well respected people tell me that an old Canon/Nikon/Minolta/Kodak dedicated film scanner will still blow any flatbed out of the game.

My problem is most of those cheaper old dedicated scanners run only on Windows 98, I haven't used win98 since 2001! I do have a PC set up with XP, but then I'm told you have all sorts of problems with drivers and software incompatibility issues...

I'm at a point where I'm willing to part with about $1k, but when I look you can't find much apart from a flatbed for $1k, the Plustek come in under $1k but then they only do slides and 35mm, I'm not yet into medium or large format, but I am planning on getting there at some stage, and when I do that will make the Plustek all but pointless.

the Nikons that everyone raves about still go for stupid amounts on Ebay, but thats what I would like, as I can then future proof my photo scanning...

So in short I'm stuck, not willing to go over $1k, can't get much for less (that doesn't require an old PC anyway) want something that does large format, brings me back to spending over $1k...

I'm too impatient to wait for one to come up on ebay as well, since I've been looking (2 months) only 3 options have come up, all selling for more than what I was willing to pay, apart from a CanoScan that I forgot to bid on.
    "A beginner worries about gear, a pro worries about skill, a master worries about light" what am I if I worry about all those?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, while the world waits, take a leaf out of Chimbu's book. Look at his thread here. And he's only using a P+S camera.

Do you have one that does RAW? Knock up a rig, use some macro lenses, and bingo... (maybe).
    Am.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12