User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikon speedlight advice, please?

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    want to save money? you dont even need to buy a nikon flash... I use a sigma one for my macro shots (browse macro forum for my work) and it works fine for me. 1/2 the price of the nikon equivalent too. there are other brands out there that will work too... just some food for thought.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info,guys..sometimes I wish there weren't quite so many alternatives I will continue to investigate using the info you have given me..at least I have a starting point!!
    D610 and D90 with a 16-35mm f/4,a 70-200mm f/4 ,a 300mm f/4 +TC11 convertor, 18-200mmDX and 85mm micro Dx.

Sally...CC always appreciated

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/salnel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a SB600 with one of the knock off ring flash attachments (about $35) and am very happy with them. Other than the ring flash attachment being a little insecure on the head of the 600 - but none of my velcro/hang on flash attachments are great. Disadvantage of chinese cheapie accessories I guess.
    Have: Nikon D90; Tamron 17-50mm 2.8; Tokina 50-135mm 2.8; Tamron 18-270 'alphabet' lens; Nikkor 50mm 1.8; 1x Nikon SB-600; 3x Yongnuo YN560 flash, 1x Yongnuo YN465 flash.

Want: Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro;

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info..Leigh suggested the 400 as a dedicated flash for macro so I did some more research and found a lot of people were using this with success..any thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sb400 is a neat little unit and quite useful. get a short off camera cord and it would be quite capable for macro.

i bought one for my dad and his photos improved dramatically.
    Thanks,
    Nam

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sb-r200 is pretty cheap and is designed with macro in mind... might have to get a couple next purchase

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Choices, choices..I guess I want to keep it simple as this is my first foray into flash..will keep looking..thanks for the help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its all about choices these days - its easier to buy a house

I use an SB-800 and a couple of SB-600s and in all honesty 'whilst they arent studio lights' I am happy with the results.
    The 800 came out in 2004/5 if Irecall correctly and (thats when I bought my D70 which still works well) the manual was not user frendly so that made using the unit difficult.
    The 600's are used in 'remote' mode as they cant do "master' like the 800 but I also sometimes use all three as 'remotes' and triggered from the camera.
    My D90 & D300S work really well with Nikons CLS and I just set them as 'Command" and use the popup to trigger the slaves.
    There are other times when I use the 800 camera mounted in command mode and trigger the 600's, bouncing the light etc.
    The SB-900 was apparently prone to over heating and the SB-700 designed to overcome that problem .. I havent used either unit so cant say they are better or worse than what I use.
    As has been said there are other brands that work with the Nikon and yes the SB-400 although its head doesnt swivel left or right just up and down.

Like it's been said "lots of choices" ....

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think buying a house is easier...thanks for the info..have to see what the finances can do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salnel,
    Just to give you an idea of size;

L to R - SB900,800 and 600...approximately 200mm down to 160mm.
    The 900 is massive compared to the others, but does so much more than the little 600 - cant find much difference in function with the 800 (yet).
    Cheers.

3 x Speedlights (resized).JPG

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee the 900 is huge! Thanks for that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though your D90 like all cameras these days gets replaced by a 'newer better' model every five minutes, dont be tempted to upgrade just yet.
    What you have is a very capable unit that didnt cost you a fortune; practice using the manual modes (M.A.S.P) leaving the Auto ones for the times when nothing seems to want to go right.
    As for flash, an SB 600 would be my suggestion as a starter because you can use it off camera as a remote slave triggered by the camera. Then as you feel the need you can add an SB 900 or SB 700 later (even consider a 2nd hand SB 800) all can be used as 'Master" which with a couple of slaves would be a highly portable lighting system.
    Cheers ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a flash similer to the SB-600 and i am still learning how to use it has anyone got any technique tips they can share on how to use it or learn which way to aim the light etc. would love some help as i am just learning how to use it.
    xxxxx
    take care
    Bilz
    Nikon D3000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the Strobist

http://strobist.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are any of the newer speedlights compatible in TTL with older bodies like the F100?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey people,
    I am new ausphotography and I am also looking for a flash unit for my D90. I find all your contribution very informative!
    I am thinking whether I should get a brand new SB600 or SB700, or a second hand unit...
    Mostly taking portrait, macro and indoor shootings.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sb700......I have the sb600 and sb900 and the user interface is way better on the sb900 (which I understand is similar to the sb700)
    thermal cutout can also be a problem with the sb900 depending on how it is used/abused!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nightbringer,

my F100 has TTL with option of BL for SB600 and SB800, but not SB700 and SB900, which come up with A mode on the flash
    HTH

but it saved by SB600 from being upgraded to a second SB700, even though the SB700 is way better!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm definitely hanging onto that SB600 then, maybe even a second one if I can after I pick up a 700 for CLS fun with my D3100.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12