User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: P&S with RAW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P&S with RAW

Has anyone ever seen a P&S that shoots RAW? I'm doing the overland trek next month and want to take a camera. Since I'm going solo there is no room for my DSLR - not to mention the extra weight it would add. For that same reason I don't really want to get into a m4/3 with exchangeable lenses.

Thanks ahead for your help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davros View Post
    Has anyone ever seen a P&S that shoots RAW? I'm doing the overland trek next month and want to take a camera. Since I'm going solo there is no room for my DSLR - not to mention the extra weight it would add. For that same reason I don't really want to get into a m4/3 with exchangeable lenses.

Thanks ahead for your help!
    the canon g11 and g12 can be set to shot raw+jpeg which gives the best of both worlds as while you are travelling you can quickly email the jpegs and when you have more time play with the raw shots to refine them, my only comment is the instructions to set raw is not clear and seems to drop the settings if you are not careful.

regards richie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of the higher quality P&S have the raw feature, i have the Canon G11 and i'm very pleased with it ..
    Julie

Canon 6D,Fuji X100
    l Canon 50mm f1.8 MK l l Canon 85mm f1.8 l Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro l Canon 24-70IS f4L l LR4/CS6

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response guys. I just found a feature on dpreview that I've been looking for. It brought every compact camera that shoots RAW -- very useful. I didn't realize there are so many compact using RAW now.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Davros - It might only suggest the big-market Brands like Canon and Nikon... Seems not to include Fuji. I put in the details - and:

Release Status: Not discontinued (current or upcoming)
    Effective pixels: 10 million to 12 million
    Zoom wide (W): 24 mm or less
    Zoom tele (T): 320 mm or more
    Digital zoom: Yes
    Image stabilization: Yes
    Manual Focus: Yes
    Aperture range: F2.8 or less
    Min shutter: 30 sec or more
    Max shutter: 1/4000 sec or less
    Built-in Flash: Yes
    Aperture priority: Yes
    Shutter priority: Yes
    Storage types: SD
    Uncompressed format: RAW
    Your search produced no results, please go back and try being slightly less specific.

They don't mention a Fast Continuous speed / speeds, or Full Manual operation - which can be "of interest" to keener hobbyists...

There's at least one camera - available for about a year - that's "Yes" to all of the above - including the points they don't mention - the Fuji HS10.

For an "all-in-one" travel camera, the HS10 has 30x optical zoom, 10+, 7, 5, 3fps Continuous (5 and 3fps RAW and RAW+JPEG), and an EVF as well as 3" LCD.

It has barrel-twist zoom, very fast for still-images, too "abrupt" for smooth zooming the 1920 x 1080, 1280 x 720, 640 x 480 H264/MOV video. Use a tripod or zoom between clips, it's okay.

it uses 4 x AAs for power. I get 450 stills (no flash or video) from Eneloops. For travel use, it can use AA-Alkalines, available just about anywhere, or the more expensive Lithiums.

It's being replaced in March with the HS20 - possibly the first P&S to put 16Mpix (not a typo...) - on a tiny 1/2" sensor.... The Noise-Reduction setup for the JPEGs should be quite something....

Dave.
    Last edited by exwintech; 06-01-2011 at 4:54pm.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Davros, something that might be worth keeping in mind is that raw files from newer cameras may not be compatible with your current raw conversion software and consequently may impact on your PP workflow. For example the Nikon P7000 requires Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) v6.3 which doesn't work with PS versions before PS5. You can work around this by using the software that comes with the camera, or by converting to DNG before processing. Might not be an issue for you but I thought it worth mentioning.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exwintech: strange that you had that problem. I was doing a much narrower search (compact, IS, MF, RAW) and it came up with the HS10! It looks like a good camera, but for my application (backpacking) it's way too heavy and bulky. I need something sub 500g. Of course that means I'll have a smaller zoom, but weight and size really are an issue. This is to complement a broader system including a D90, which I don't want to hike with.

Fillum: you raise a VERY valid point. The RAW compatibility has come to mind, but I haven't actually looked into it to great extent. I'll have to keep that in mind as I'm researching cameras.