User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  11
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a light meter worth it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I'm now enlightened, I must say that I'm a light meter convert.

While I'm able to 'chimp' my way along, William was able to demonstrate just how fast it was to measure exposure for the highlights and shadows, then balance with ambient light. Considerably faster than i was able to 'chimp' over the line.

And that's not to mention the fact that if you have a model who's either being paid, or paying for the session, to me nothing looks more amateurish than the photographer fumbling around the back of a camera.

So I'll be buying a light meter this week I think, it just makes everything so darn easy...
    Living the dream...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amd thats what my point is. not trying to prove anyone is right or wrong, but simply what works and what is "useful".
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been wanting to buy one for a while. Anyone want to save me the research and fuel my laziness with a recommendation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sekonic L-758DR is a pretty amazing piece of gear! You can calibrate it to your camera/lens combination, and it has a built in wireless trigger compatible with pocket wizard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how would I use light meter if i'm only using small strobes? I usually trigger my flashes using the Nikon internal commander mode.

do you think the light meter can trigger my flashes? (sb-600 and sb-900)

thanks for the awesome tips so far

Nikon D80 | Nikon D700 | 18-135mm | 35mm f2.0 | 50mm f1.4 | 80-200mm f2.8 | Heaps of lights and modifiers
    Visit My PhotoBlog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Tony,
    I have a Seconic L358 and I think it is well worth having, you are welcome to try it any time.
    Pop in on the way home from work and have a nice espresso when you pick it up.
    Cheers
    Darey

Nikon user, Thick skinned and wanting to improve, genuine C & C welcomed.

Photographs don't lie ! - Anonymous Liar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darey View Post
    Hey Tony,
    I have a Seconic L358 and I think it is well worth having, you are welcome to try it any time.
    Pop in on the way home from work and have a nice espresso when you pick it up.
    There you go Tony... How can you knock that back??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by viscountvics View Post

The light meters have a sync cord jack, you could hook up to your master unit, or try using a cheap wireless triggering system like the cactus IV, plugging the trigger into the light meter via a small sync cord may work?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some light meters can also be set for studio and will take a reading from the 'flash' as well. Mine sits there waiting and when the flash occurs it takes the reading. Nice and easy.
    Last edited by ricktas; 11-02-2011 at 8:11am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by viscountvics View Post
    how would I use light meter if i'm only using small strobes? I usually trigger my flashes using the Nikon internal commander mode.

thanks for the awesome tips so far
    Huh? You ask this when your website describes you "professional photographer currently based in Melbourne, Australia. I am specializing in fashion and portrait photography." If you do not know the answer to this already, I would be very surprised, as I would think any fashion photographer would need to be very able in the use of lighting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Huh? You ask this when your website describes you "professional photographer currently based in Melbourne, Australia. I am specializing in fashion and portrait photography." If you do not know the answer to this already, I would be very surprised, as I would think any fashion photographer would need to be very able in the use of lighting.
    Well, perhaps he has mastered the process of 'chimping' we've been discussing? If so, I don't see why being a professional means he should be already proficient in the use of a light meter. The discussion above demonstrates that there are a couple of options to managing studio lights, with the conclusion being that use of a light meter is a more efficient way to balance flash and ambient light... but not necessarily the only correct method.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was sceptical for the longest while, but when consistancy is the key I've discovered (the hard way) that a light meter is essential.

I use mine primarily in studio to set a ratio and exposure on key, fill and background lights quickly. Also use it to measure light consistancy across full length portraits (lookbooks typically) - if it's important to have even lighting then it is a big help.

If I'm outdoors, I chimp away. If I'm shooting a personal project that isn't a set of images (i.e. I'm playing around with lighting ideas) then I usually just chimp and note what I think worked.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after talking to a professional photographer by the name of frank doorhof i went and got a sekonic and im really glad i did it amade things quick adn easy for me. now i just set up, click the meter, get a reading, adjust setting on the ranger r if i need to and start shooting so im happy and it makes things spot on accurate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    given im doing portable studio sessions with multiple flashes and balancing with other lighting, i definitely like using a meter to at least begin with.
    Shooting in RAW also seems a little more forgiving though.
    Pentax K7, MZ-30 (film), ME-Super (film), Diana mini, Holga Sterographic (3D)
    Pentax FA31/1.8 Ltd, FA 50/1.4, FA 77/1.8 Ltd, DFA 100/2.8 Macro WR, DA*16-50/2.8, DA*50-135/2.8, DA 18-250, FA 100-300, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-35, Tamron 18-200, Photix 35mm Tilt-shift, Samyang 8mm Fisheye, Lensbaby, 2x Pentax AF 540GZ, various other bits of flash accessories + more enthusiasm than skill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an interesting topic, I think it just comes down to personal preference now. Works better for some than others, and it can depend on what you're shooting. If you cant afford one though, i wouldnt be worried about one.

I wrote a little article why I dont use one, and included a couple links to other professionals who have written short articles on the topic as well. They are worth a read. Find it HERE.
    Last edited by Brodie; 22-03-2011 at 2:59pm.
    Brodie Butler (Perth, WA)
    Photographer / Filmmaker / Retoucher
    Canon & Elinchrom user

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12