As I find myself doing more landscape type shots - the question has risen on what to do about balancing sky and land. At the moment I only have two kinds of filter which can't really be replaced by PP - a polariser and ND grads (ND8 and NDX400).

So am I wondering what the advantages are of getting ND grad filters as opposed to say- exposure blending. Not HDR style tone mapping - but just exposing a shot for the sky and one for the foreground and using masks etc to blend them?

Obviously one advantage is less time spent on PP.
The second I can think of is where you want a long sky exposure to capture cloud movement - or situations where you have moving objects in the scene that won't blend well.

Advantages I can see for exposure blending are your irregular horizons and other unusual scenes like canyons and such. Also being able to control the amount of exposure applied in PP.

Is the appeal just trying to get as much as possible right in camera to minimise PP time - or do they have other advantages I am over looking?

I'm not really sure which is the best approach - either save a couple hundred $$ and carry around less stuff ( a plus) - or buy the filters, carry them and cut down on time in PP (also a plus).

So, landscape 'togs - what is your preference - ND grads, blend exposures in post - or somewhere in between? Please share your thoughts