Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to DSLR

Hi all

This is my first post, so please be kind to me.

I'm looking at getting a Nikon D7000 as my first DSLR, I also have a Nikon 90X film SLR. So I've done alot of research, played with alot of SLR and have come up with the D7000.

OK the D7000 wasn't my first choice, it was the Canon 7D and at $1,899 from *removed - members with under 30 days membership and 50 posts are not allowed to promote commercial sites: Admin* I thought why not, I won't have to upgrade the body for a long time. Then my wife had a play and said no way, camera is too heavy and big for her hands. Anyway, the 7D was too complex in the menu department.

Looking at pairing the Nikon D7000 with the 18-105mm kit. I'm also looking at the Tamron 70-300mm VC USD lens which is cheaper than the same Nikon lens. I will be mainly shooting travel portraits with children (under 5) and some family photos (purely amateur stuff liking going to the zoo) but would like to get into DSLR photography as an enthusiast. Also want reasonably good bokeh.

Looking at getting the Nikon D7000 as I want to claim back the GST when going on our cruise soon. So is the Tamron fast in AF and quality (having read the image quality is good but can't find anything about how fast AF is), or wait till I can afford the Nikon 70-300mm lens or buy a grey import. I'm on a budget too but I've read the 55-300mm isn't fast for AF.

Sorry, I don't ask for much. Your comments will be appreciated.

Cheers
    Daniel
    Last edited by ricktas; 31-12-2010 at 10:56am.