Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying From B&H Photo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying From B&H Photo

My partner sold her camera today and she wants a Canon SX20is, I can get it from B&H for $443au posted which beats it by nearly $70-$80 locally.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on buying from overseas in particular B&H, I've heard that they are a good store but was wondering about warranty etc.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I moved your thread, cause B&H are Ausphotography site advertisers.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive bought lots from there... no troubles ever. Shipping can be a bit pricey however so often pays to grab a few things at once.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B&H are good.

Factor US$ conversion (credit cards slug a small %), shipping, and GST if over $1000.
    If it's only <5% or 10% different buy local.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Kym.

Unless it has a warranty valid in Australia, I would steer clear of importing something with a saving as small as that. If the warranty is only valid in the USA and a repair is required you will have to bear the cost of shipping two ways, which would certainly eat the potential saving in this case.

B&H as a trader is as safe as houses if you decide to purchase anything from them in future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've bought from B&H a few times now, Delivery is amazingly quick considering the distance.

I can not recommend highly enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're an excellent firm to deal with, but postage etc is getting to be a killer.
    Alive and still clicking - apologies to PSQ.
    Living and working in the Roaring Forties
    Assorted cameras of all sizes and shapes including Pentax K (the original), MX, Z1,K20D; 50mm 1.2, 35mm 2.0, 85mm 1.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use them all the time when AUD is good. Particular for Canon lens as they have international warranty - unfortunately this does not apply to Canon bodies.
    1D MkIII | 5D | 17-40 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4 L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 70-200 f/4L IS | 35 f/1.4L | 135 f/2L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've bout a few things from them, postage is a little hefty for single items. Really quick delivery, and no problems.
    Word of the day
    Flickr
    http://nob.au.com
    Canon 5d, Canon 20d, Canon 30d, and a whole lotta Canon glass
    For Geeky Tshirts check out
    http://www.gtee.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought a 60mm from them last night. Local camera shop has them for $729. Bought from B&H for $537 AUD [$485 USD] including the $63 [USD] postage to get it here is 3-5 business days.

Should be here either tomorrow or Thursday judging by the tracking.

Canon 400D | 60mm f2.8 | 18-55mm | 75-300mm| 50mm f1.8 | 430EXII | Photoshop CS4
    Helpful & Honest Critique/Advice appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking for some clarification as I'm thinking of purchasing a lens from B&H (good aussie dollar atm) - and whethere they ship with the warranty cards included, since they are the official distribution channel in the USA? Was fine with the cheapies from grey importers not having them, but looking for some added peace of mind (and wallet) if I'll be able to take the lens direct to the Nikon repair centre here rather than shipping it back overseas.

Anyone with first hand experience?
    Last edited by Watchamacallit; 28-07-2010 at 4:45pm.
    Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they're good but the postage is a killer for small items...a few of the other big american shops also suffer the same problem...

when i wanted a $15USD cable for my memory kick device (that you can only get in the US), i managed to find someone who was doing a big order and we split postage.

$60US is way too expensive for shipping on $10 items...it's a shame these big companies can't offer cheaper postage for low value items...

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can confirm all my experiences have been 100% positive. Have purchased a number of items that retail in Aus in the $300 - $500 range. In all cases I saved 20% after postage. Can recommend their used section too. Ratings are accurate and gear has been as described or better. Highly recommended as an alternative to buying in Oz if you are prepared not to have warranty available a phone call away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyK View Post
    Bought a 60mm from them last night. Local camera shop has them for $729. Bought from B&H for $537 AUD [$485 USD] including the $63 [USD] postage to get it here is 3-5 business days.

Should be here either tomorrow or Thursday judging by the tracking.
    Well now it's going to be next Wednesday.

Australia post/courier/whatever the hell the UPS use in Australia is hopeless. Lens arrived in Melbourne on Wednesday. Since then, it's been through customs in Melbourne, been flown to Sydney, been flown back to Melbourne, sat around in Melbourne for nearly 24 hours and now it reckons it's 'in transit' to Hobart...with an estimated deliver date of Wednesday the 4th of August. Bugger the 3-5 days that I paid for!! Yet it took just over 24 hours to go through two cities in New York state, Louisville Kentucky and Honolulu Hawaii. Go figure.

Anyhow, this is not a rant about the service of B&H. They were excellent and had it shipped off very promptly! It's just now that it's arrived in Australia it's been stuffed around considerably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also thinking about buying a Canon 24-70L from B&H within the next week or so, but can someone tell me, do I also have to pay an import tax on this as well? I was told that if its worth over a thousand $ I have to pay extra. Is this true?
    Thanks in advance
    Cheers Peter
    Canon 7D...Canon 40D...Canon 24-70L 2.8...Canon 70-200L 2.8...Canon 17-85...Canon 50mm...Speedlights....Tripods...Filters... Battery grips.... And heaps of other stuff

There are always two people in every picture.. the photographer and the viewer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbikes View Post
    I am also thinking about buying a Canon 24-70L from B&H within the next week or so, but can someone tell me, do I also have to pay an import tax on this as well? I was told that if its worth over a thousand $ I have to pay extra. Is this true?
    Thanks in advance

Yes. Import Duty + GST.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ BigBikes

If it is over $1000 you have a very good chance (or is that bad?) of it getting picked up by customs. Best to assume it will get picked up..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best thing is just to ring customs & ask them what fees are due on an item worth $X.XXs . I’ve done it before, as I recall it’s only GST applicable on items over $1000. Then work out if it’s still a worthwhile saving.

That being said one friend of mine has never been picked up for duty on several orders he’s placed. Yet another has been slugged 2 times out of 3…
    Looks like it’s a bit of a lucky dip
    Dave

NIKON D200, 24-85G, 80-200 2.8D, 50mm 1.8G, Kenko PRO 300DG 1.4X TC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then in that case its not worth buying from overseas. I mean its going to cost me $1495 for the lens and another $69 shipping. Total $1563............ then they slug me with importing taxes and gst.
    I mean I can buy the lens in Oz for just over $1600........
    I think I will buy it from here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

badger

there is also Badger photographics, they are sometimes cheaper than B&H, I have never had an issue with either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast