Thread: Q: Adding Coordinates from GPS Logs EXIF Data

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Q: Adding Coordinates from GPS Logs EXIF Data

Hi All,

I have a Garmin GPS and while on a recent holiday kept it turned on for most of the time I was taking photos.

I'd like to now enter the Coordinates from the saved Track Log into the image EXIF data. This has been a want for me for some years, however I've only pretty much just gotten started on the project.

Any recommendations on which software to use?
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day,

I use a program called GPicSync It was last updated on 2009-04-13 but i find it does its job well and haven't found the need to look elsewhere.

You can find some more information on the program here

Does anyone know if Lightroom 3 can do this with an extension? or what do you use?
    DSLR: Sony Alpha 200 - 3.5-5.6/18-70, 4.5-5.6/75-300 Sony lens
    SLR: Minolta X-300 - 35-70, 70-200 Sigma Lenses, 28-200 PROMURA Lens (interchangeable)
    Gear: Lowepro - Rover AW, 2x LC 1 - Tripod - Fancier FT-6662A

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a couple of questions first:
    - do you shoot raw or jpeg and do you need the coordinates to be available in the source file?
    - what format are the files from the Garmin in?
    - where do you need to connect the software in the workflow? Will stand-alone software do?
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are using Lightroom, the easiest way us with Jeffrey Friedl's Geotagging plugin. Just select your photos, go to File -> Plugin Extras -> Geotagging, then load your GPX file and enter the time offset that your camera was out by and voila, geotagged photos.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be careful if your entering them manually, and what coordinates are being used. Hopefully they'l be a World UTM but some GPS's will work on a local map grid or on different projections.

Havn't actually delt with geocoding photos myself but I know a thing or two about maps being a geographer :P