User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Has anyone upgraded to Photoshop Elements 9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone upgraded to Photoshop Elements 9

I currently run Photoshop Elements 7, and have been reading about version 9 and am trying to decide to upgrade now or wait a while

There seems to be a lot of new features from version 7, and some
    would be useful/fun but only if I use them!

I did read in a UK Magazine that version 9 lets you use Layer Masks like Photoshop
    which would be useful.

Can anyone offer further info or their opinion on the value of upgrading to Version 9 of Photoshop Elements.
    Chris

- Constructive Feedback Appreciated

My stuff: Nikon D90: 35mm f1.8, 55-200mm f4-5.6G
    Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and a growing collection of other stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris

I can't answer your question, but am curious myself.

I use CS5 at home and the office, but when I'm on holidays, etc; I use pse7 on my netbook & have wondered whether its worth upgrading to pse9.

Perhaps this just snuck through when everyone was having a boxing day nap and we might get and answer now

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have PSE8 (upgraded from PSE5). I will be upgrading to PSE9 at some time (I need d7000 support in ACR - only available in PSE9 , and currently use a DNG converter) - but would like to hear what others think before I do.

(The "features" in 8 over 5 are not that great - but I am hoping the proper layers in 9 will be worth it.)
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also watching this thread with interest. I use Elements 5 at the moment and one thing I will miss when I build my new computer is the text transparency settings in the old Ulead Photo Express 3 (not compatible with win7) for watermarking, I'm not sure whether the later versions of Elements have this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Just got Elements 9 but have not used the previous versions other than PSE4 - its a lot different to that.

Seems great but I cannot say i am a fan of the organiser, i used ACDsee before and it's much more intuitive than PSE9 for organising, I find my self importing with PSE9 and then culling and viewing in Canon Zoom Browser. PSE9 organiser will not let you have a copy of a file in a separate location with the same name - It just says "Image already in catalogue" and that really bugs me I have to rename the file in the other folder.

Maybe i will get used to the organiser, but the editor seems great so far and that's what I got it for after all. So I'm certainly happy with it. I got the version with Premeir elements included as the 7D takes video, have not yet tried PE9 though.
    My Goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jbee

I agree

I don't like or use organiser in PSE7,from what you saying PSE9 version still has
    Image already in catalogue message , Which put me off using it.

Some of the info about PSE9 on the Web, made me think the organiser had
    improved!

But I remember getting the same message in PSE7 Organiser when I tried
    to use it.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    I am also watching this thread with interest. I use Elements 5 at the moment and one thing I will miss when I build my new computer is the text transparency settings in the old Ulead Photo Express 3 (not compatible with win7) for watermarking, I'm not sure whether the later versions of Elements have this either.
    Speedway

Have a look at this website, has lots of free actions etc for PSE - May well have a watermark action for you
    http://www.thecoffeeshopblog.com/

Chris

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still using version 4 of Elements, although I do raw conversion and most basic processing in Capture NX2. I use some free plugins that add layer masks and curves adjustments, so haven't really found a compelling reason to upgrade. Some resources here.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Is this what you mean ?

Just go open new, set background as Transparent, Add text or whatever ( i use the Copyright symbol a letter J and a clipart bee), then click edit/define brush and save it - it appears as a resizable brush you can just stamp on your image.

In PSE9 I click on the add new layer icon, set the blending as soft light and then adjust the opacity to taste.

[IMG][/IMG]

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chris and jbee, sorry for the slow reply, my computer was out of action for a while. Attached is what I do for my web site using Photo Express 3.

IMG_7691W.jpg

Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recently upgraded to PS9, one of my fav things in it is the filling in of the outer parts in panoramic shots, instead of having to crop. Mostly it does a brilliant job,.....Paul