Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Mac OS X Lion

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mac OS X Lion

Have any Mac OS X users taken the plunge and upgraded to Lion?

Lion was released to the public on 20/07/2011.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has done so and experienced any issues with Adobe CS4.

Adobe has released a list of known issues with Adobe products on Mac OS 10.7 Lion, which can be viewed here:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/905/cpsid_90508.html

I have not upgraded yet, but I'd advise any Adobe product users to read that article before upgrading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no issues from colleagues so far since they have been using it on the launch day.

I'll wait a few more weeks in case any issues come out with CS5 and Lightroom 3 which are my work-horses, cant afford any stuff ups or irregularities with work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using Lion since the launch and I am only experiencing minor issues. Sorry, i can't comment on Adobe CS4 or any other Adobe products as I don't have them. One of my workers also upgraded but has just spent the day reverting back to Snow Leopard. He was having difficulties getting his external monitor to work and could not get time machine to work automatically with his external hard drive.
    I am loving Lion though it does take a bit of getting used to. I use a Macbook Pro so utilise the gestures to navigate and Apple have taken it a step further with Lion. It is so easy to open mail on one desktop, safari on the next, Aperture on the 3rd and iTunes on the fourth and navigate quickly between them all with finger swipes. The new mail format is great as it displays all the conversation more like SMS messages on the phone. Auto word completion and spell check across applications is long overdue.
    Sorry if I have gone a bit off topic, let me know if there is anything I can help with.
    Andrew

Mostly Canon gear

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting re gestures... I cannot stand gestures. I disabled that feature on my MacBook Pro very early on. :-)

Jackie:

Yeah, good call to wait in your case if your machines are business-critical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand that it took me a while to get used to but love them now. Very quick navigation and I struggle when I go back to a mouse. My worker can't get used to gestures either and hardly uses the trackpad on his Macbook.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post
    I can understand that it took me a while to get used to but love them now. Very quick navigation and I struggle when I go back to a mouse. My worker can't get used to gestures either and hardly uses the trackpad on his Macbook.
    I use the trackpad and don't even own a mouse, but I just found gestures very annoying and disruptive, so it had to go.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the plunge and upgraded to Lion tonight.

Bridge and Photoshop are working fine.

However, annoyingly, Bridge seemed to forget all of its cached/indexed data, meaning I need to manually re-generate the previews of all of the images in all of my image directories (some 641 of them).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Issues are being sorted out pretty quickly. Spyder3 Utility was not working correctly for my calibrator but data colour have already released an update which has fixed all the problems. I currently don't have any issues that I am aware of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had it for three weeks already (had the Last developers issue "Golden Master" that in the end came to be the official version ) and I love it...specially the gestures in macbook, the launch pad is really good and feel everything works faster.

Used LR3 and works well as do Nikon View NX2, Office 2011, Plex, XLD and Picasa (my usual software)

What doesen´t work is Front Row (some users already released a patch but have not tried it) and also Parallels Desktop 6 that says "cannot find driver" when I open it, haven´t tried to tackle the problem yet.
    Also I know software made for Powerbooks have no support in Lion anymore, a friend of mine is having probems with he drivers of and old printer because of this.

regards
    From the end of the World with a Nikon D90, Nikon 16/85 3.5-5.6 and Sigma 30 1.4
    Come and visit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anybody using Aperture with Lion? i'm working on a bunch of photos next week and don't want to break Aperture just before I need to use it!

Regards,
    Calx
    Calxoddity
    Concert Pianist, Test Pilot, Pathological Liar

Nikon D40, Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 HSM, Nikkor AF-D 50mm f1.8
    Post Processing: Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Calx, I am using Aperture with Lion, no problems at all so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,
    I updated to Lion yesterday and it all went without a hitch - or so I thought.

Upon opening Safari after the upgrade, all my automated login settings for various websites were gone. Took me a while to remember passwords or have a new passwords sent to me. I suspect the cookies got wiped in the upgrade.

Otherwise, very nice and smooth. The one major thing I changed in the system preferences was to revert the scrolling back to the normal way.

Applications known to work so far:
    Aperture
    Thunderbird
    Firefox
    Garmin Basecamp
    Ms Word 2011
    Photoshop Elements
    Corel Painter Essentials 4
    Evernote
    Shades
    Growl

Not working
    Onyx - opens but an update is in beta
    Dropbox???

Regards,
    Calx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Calx, the beta version of Onyx appears to be working with no glitches. After upgrading to Lion I wanted to make sure everything was cleaned up pretty well and found, as you did, that Onyx required an upgrade. Having performed the cleanup it seems to have worked with no issues.

I am glad I didn't have your issues with passwords, that would be my nightmare!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Xenedis,

Will check out that Adobe link as I've recently changed over form Aperture 3 to LightRoom 3.
    I've been holding off the change to Lion till Apple bring out the 10.7.1 update.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All working properly (except my Windows mouse scrolling back to front and scanner no longer supported).

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nikabuz View Post
    Thanks Xenedis,

Will check out that Adobe link as I've recently changed over form Aperture 3 to LightRoom 3.
    I've been holding off the change to Lion till Apple bring out the 10.7.1 update.
    I'm running 10.7.1 here.

Ironically, I didn't have a problem with the dot-zero release, but I did encounter the dreaded error 150: 30 problem when I launched CS4 after restoring my system from a Time Machine backup.

Having said that, the problem I encountered isn't Lion-specific.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junqbox View Post
    All working properly (except my Windows mouse scrolling back to front and scanner no longer supported).
    The scrolling thingy is a preferences change, so easy peasy. What scanner are you using?