Hi

My brother owns a Canon EOS 550D with the 18-55mm IS and 55-250mm IS lens and the 50mm f/1.8 lens. I am just about to purchase my own camera which will be either the 500D or 550D and need some advice on lens choices. Now I have mentioned what lenses my brother has so who ever wants to advise me what lenses I should purchase will realise what lenses I can currently borrow if I require. But I do have to purchase my own lenses as I can not borrow my brothers lenses on a permanent basis, but only when and if I should require.

As I can borrow the above lenses but would like to own my own 1 or 2 lenses, maybe 3 at the most what do the members of this forum recommend I purchase in the way of lenses? I do not have any particular direction on what I will be taking photos of so can't really offer more suggestions on what my requirements will be other than I will be taking photos for some websites I have made in the past, bringing the camera on a 5 week holiday to the US in around 12 months time plus photos of as many other things I find I want to take a photo of! I don't ever think I will take photos of nature, insects or birds etc.

regards,

alicudi