Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice......SIGMA APO 150-500 F5-6.3 DG OS HSM

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using the 50-500 non OS - works a treat.
    trublubiker - I think we are in agreement.
    I would price check both lenses and see it they will give you more

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trublubiker View Post
    doppelganger, irrespective of Kym's opinion, which I respect, I feel you have to make your own mind up about this.

Consider the facts.

1. Your K20D has inbuilt image stabilisation. It works like it should. You don't need the OS version of the 150-500.

2. The specs on the pre and post OS models appear identical, other than a drop in weight in the OS model, maybe due to some more plastic.

3. From memory, there was negligible price difference.

4. The newer OS versions had focusing issues (see my post above). Do you need the hassle of getting a dud and having to get it 'serviced', and if you bought from o/seas that means sending it back to the o/seas retailer.

5. With the offered $200 discount you have a pretty damn good telephoto lens for probably less than $800.

Mate, for mine it's a no-brainer.

Cheers
    Thanks trublubiker,understand where your coming from,hard to ask someone there opinion when cash is being paid out, even without Kyms opinion,just the fact of now knowing that he owns the non OS sister lens(so to speak) 50-150 and is happy with it, is enough to seal my opinion. Fact 4 also tipped it to the keep it side, just had a play and working fine at the mo

Thanks
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pentax K20,Pentax K5,,Pentax DA 12-24, Pentax DA 18-55mm,Tamron sp DI 90mm Macro Sigma 70-300mm 1:4-5:6 with macro, ,Sigma 150-500mm 1:5-6.3 APO HSM, Kenko 2X Teleplus MC7, Pentax AF160FC ring flash,Pentax AF 540 FGZ flash, Yongnuo yn460 Flash

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think the 150-500 ever came with out IS ?? Could be wrong

What I can say for 100 percent certainty is that the one I sourced for my dad about 6 weeks ago HAS got OS, and he uses a K100 super
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The notes in the specs about 1/4 the way down in this review indicate that the Pentax and Sony versions did not come with OS (at least initially); although we know they do now.

http://www.stockholmviews.com/sigma_...igmapage1.html

As you have in-body IS which should be quite effective, I think the $200 refund would be reasonable.

My 150-500 is in Nikon mount and I mostly use it on a tripod so IS is normally turned off anyway. Ultimately, it is your choice.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 150-500 did not have a Pentax mount at all until recently.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    The 150-500 did not have a Pentax mount at all until recently.
    This thread from the Pentax User's Forum indicates that the 150-500 was available in Pentax mount in early 2009 without OS...

Pentax User

The new version with OS seems to have been announced around March 2010 or more than a year later.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for your comments,advise and links, I'm keeping the lens and the seller will be refunding a discount of $200.00 after Christmas. Hopefully I can post some pics soon

Steve

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure you will be pleased with it. It is a ripper of a lens and mine will be getting further feedback mid-week when I go bird hunting with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12