Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    300 f/4 af-s good lens, but not a zoom
    Kiwi, Mongo knows this is not a zoom. Super duper already has a zoom. What Mongo is saying is - maybe he does not need a zoom for what he wants to do. If Mongo is not mistaken, you use a prime 400 for a very similar purpose ( and no doubt your 70-200 at other times).

For the most part, super duper can use the 18-200 zoom he has if he is positioned where the zoom would be best AND use the fixed 300mm if he further away from the action. If he is lucky enough to have 2 camera bodies , he can use both at the same time

So Mongo's advice was intentional and remains unchanged. Just because the question is "which zoom" does not mean the answer has to be a zoom; particularly when it seems fairly general advice is sought to solve a problem or need. In any event, super duper can ignore Mongo's 2 cents worth if he does not like it.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, I quite agree with you. If you are buying a lens for length then usually you're usually always at that end anyhow and a prime makes sense

I haven't seen any comparisons between iq of 70-300 vr vs 300 f/4 either

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Indeed, I quite agree with you. If you are buying a lens for length then usually you're usually always at that end anyhow and a prime makes sense

True Kiwi. But Mongo thinks the figures on the f4 are pretty hard to beat with the zoom even though this zoom may give reasonably good quality images and hopefully so at the long end which is where he wants this lens primarily for.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sigma 50-500 (bigma) is a great lens as well
    I looked into this, but the reviews seem to be very hit-n-miss (some people love it, but just as many hate it).

very good used 300mm f4
    Buying a used lens scares me. I'm certainly going to pick up a crusty old lens that is only being sold because it's been damaged. Interesting suggestion of lens though.

If he is lucky enough to have 2 camera bodies , he can use both at the same time
    Unfortantely, she doesn't have two camera bodies But I still like the lens suggestion.

This I will be keen to see for sure.

So, as soon as I rule one lens out (55-300mm), another one enters the debate......I've got til Mother's Day to make my mind up.
    Last edited by super duper; 05-02-2011 at 11:37am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there SupaDupa, I think what Mongo means is that the 300mm f4 is faster and can still be used for with a 1.4 or 1.7 teleconverter. Because we can't use a teleconverter with the 18-200 zoom, not sure if the same applies with the other zoom lens (other than the Expensive ones).

Andy Rouse, the wildlife photographer who writes for Amateur Photographer magzine says the 28-300 is a really good lens for general use.

Peace & Happiness

Please refer to site rules regarding copyright infringement
    [4] Information regarding copyright infringement may neither be requested nor discussed. This relates specifically to requests for software copyright infringement, discussion or promotion of software copyright infringement, or requesting/providing access to serial number generation software, or download information regarding potential copyright infringement of software, but is not limited to these.

[10] Members are not to discuss/promote or otherwise disseminate information regarding any illegal activity. Discussion of any illegal activities – be they criminal or civil – is unacceptable.
    Last edited by MarkChap; 06-02-2011 at 11:10pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my two bobs worth:
    I think the best lens to complement the 18-200mm lens is a "Sigma 100-300mm f4 APO DG HSM" and later on add a sigma 1.4xTC for more reach.
    The Sigma 100-300 f4 is almost distortion free, gives excellent IQ through the full focal range and the AF is super fast. Add the 1.4xTC and you have a very good, fast AF, 140 - 420 f 5.6 sport and wildlife lens. (P.S. I am biased because I love my Sigma 100-300mm f4)
    The only issue is that the lens is a little heavy but that's the price you pay for good glass. With the 1.4xTC on I use a monopod and get very pleasing results.
    The other drawback is my poor little Nikon 80-200 f2.8 hardly gets used now unless I'm shooting indoors without flash.

I hope I haven't confused your thoughts and hope you are happy with whatever you select.
    Cheers
    Darey

Nikon user, Thick skinned and wanting to improve, genuine C & C welcomed.

Photographs don't lie ! - Anonymous Liar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12