User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EOS 5D Mark II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a great camera and you won't be disappointed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of good advice, maybe it's time to hear from sugarcourt (the OP) and see if any of this helped!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe the op just wants a full frame ???

i agree with previous comments though.. esp cookie99.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5D mkII replacement (5D mk III ?)

I've been thinking of making the plunge for some time now, but having a look at my nephews copy, I think it's feeling a little bit outdated compared to latest releases (this is not a critisism of its considerable capabilities) I will definitely be waiting for the next iteration, I'm hoping for at least a flip out screen as a minimum improvement. I took some great fly on the wall mood shots at a new years party the other night with my 500D/50mm 1.8 that are spoilt by noise, or avoiding that by reducing ISO,blur. Does anybody know when it might be coming? Guy in the camera shop last year thought later this year.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all the feedback. I havent had a chance to respond sooner with the hecticness of xmas and new year. I hope everyone had a good one.

As I have previously said the photos that are linked are older photos - I have previously had a break from photography due to a bad car accident. I havent got my heart set on anything yet. im not in any hurry and dont want to rush into it.

I dont expect the camera to magically improve my photos. The best photographer can use any camera and get a good photo. The camera doesnt make the photographer the person does.

I am currently working a day a week for a photography company. I am now able to get out more and practice my photography. I am looking at starting from scratch with my photography since having such a long break from it. Getting to know my camera better, techniques and going through the new to photography set by set.
    I have always been interested in photography (more as a hobby). Now I want to be more than just an amateur photographer, improve my skills and start my own business when the time is right. To help me do this, I would be greatful for any feedback positive or negative so I can improve my skills and knowledge

“To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them.” - Elliot Erwitt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarcourt View Post
    Thank you for all the feedback. I havent had a chance to respond sooner with the hecticness of xmas and new year. I hope everyone had a good one.

As I have previously said the photos that are linked are older photos - I have previously had a break from photography due to a bad car accident. I havent got my heart set on anything yet. im not in any hurry and dont want to rush into it.

I dont expect the camera to magically improve my photos. The best photographer can use any camera and get a good photo. The camera doesnt make the photographer the person does.

I am currently working a day a week for a photography company. I am now able to get out more and practice my photography. I am looking at starting from scratch with my photography since having such a long break from it. Getting to know my camera better, techniques and going through the new to photography set by set.
    Good for you! Like a lot of things in life, there is no substitute for practice.
    Hang in there, and the rewards will come.
    Canon 6D
    Canon 40D
    16-35 L 2.8 11 USM
    24-105 L IS USM
    70-200 2.8 L IS USM 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are in no hurry I can only recommend you wait for the next one to be released. Even if you don't get the latest and greatest camera, the current version will drop even further in price. And remember, getting the mk2 will mean you are up for pro lenses too, so will be costly, but oh so worth it. I have not looked back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsiefromtant View Post
    ... I will definitely be waiting for the next iteration ... Does anybody know when it might be coming? Guy in the camera shop last year thought later this year.
    This site http://www.canonrumors.com/category/...n-5d-mark-iii/ seems to be close to the pulse. Predictions are 2nd half of 2011.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrade

Not sure if it has been touched on yet as there are a few replies I skimmed, but upgrading due to hitting the wall with your current kit is one reason. So is replacing old/broken kit.
    Why replace a 50d with another 50d if you are close to the step up? Why make two purchases in a couple of months if you can group the replacement and upgrade into one?
    I think the 5d is on a lot of wishlists but agreeing with a lot of others it may well be more camera than most need, at least for the time being.

IMHO

Brandz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tanks trOj, good link

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 5D Mark II is the best camera I have ever used (and I have a 1D2N and 1D3 as well!)

I would fault it in only 3 areas
    - Major: ISO 100-400 is beseiged by shadow banding/pattern noise. This is the noisiest ISO 100 camera I have ever used.
    - Major: Autofocus performance is serviceable but leaves a lot to be desired.
    - Minor: Squeeky battery grip

Other than these issues, it is an excellent camera

I would get the 5D2 and start learning using this camera, as it will make a drastic improvement to your photos. Remember, better gear = better photos (once you learn how to use it properly!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pollen View Post
    I would fault it in only 3 areas - Major: ISO 100-400 is beseiged by shadow banding/pattern noise. This is the noisiest ISO 100 camera I have ever used.
    Um, could you post some examples of this? I have a 5D2 and think noise wise it's one of canon's best performers especially in the 100-400 range. I am happy to take it to 6400 if needed as well. When it gets dark the 1D3 is put down and the 5D2 takes over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with you with respect to it being better than the 1D Mark III in low light (particularly detail retention), but I and many other users of the camera often run into problems like this at ISO 100:

This is actually not a 100% crop as I can't post larger images here, but it actually is worse than it looks below (since the below image is downsized)

In my mind this is completely unacceptable at ISO 100 and worse than what a $500 Canon 1000D does, but the camera is otherwise great
    Last edited by pollen; 06-01-2011 at 11:53am.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given you have a Pentax K10D and I'm guessing some lenses a much lower cost upgrade that will give you great results is the new Pentax K-5.
    The K-5 price is already dropping (normal after a few months).
    It has one of the best sensors ever produced.

Changing camera systems is VERY expensive. For the price of the changeover you can get a K-5 and maybe a couple of brilliant 'limited' prime lenses.

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with you with respect to it being better than the 1D Mark III in low light (particularly detail retention), but I and many other users of the camera often run into problems like this at ISO 100:

This is actually not a 100% crop as I can't post larger images here, but it actually is worse than it looks below (since the below image is downsized)

In my mind this is completely unacceptable at ISO 100 and worse than what a $500 Canon 1000D does, but the camera is otherwise great

What noise? I don't see anything wrong with these images?
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pollen
    You might like to try changing your colour space to adobe rgb, instead of srgb. You might just find that helps.

Cheers

Cris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion Cris, sounds interesting I'll investigate

Hi wideangle, have you calibrated your monitor? I find I can't see a thing on my work laptop which is so devoid of contrast it is almost a monotone screen, but it is very obvious on the back of the camera, as well as on my calibrated monitor at home, and also on my friend's hardware calibrated Eizo

It'll be inappropriate for me to link to other forums however there are multipage discussions about this issue all over the web which confirms the issue exists and is a problem for many people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @pollen, thanks for the examples and info, did a bit of research on the problem and though it exists, I have not had much of an issue with it. I normally expose to the highlights and try to keep the shadows as bright as possible, reducing the exposure in the shadows in processing therefore reducing the apparent issue. Did a couple of tests and it mainly seems to occur at -3 stops. it was interesting to see the comparisons between the high end Nikons and the 5D2, Nikon definitely have a much nicer image result. Would love to try them side by side in a real comparison, Kiwi, you up for a small experiment?

However, even after the research today, there is no way I'd give it away, it produces some exceptional results and as long as you shoot to it's strengths, and honestly, I don't see low light shooting being a weakness.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting back to OP Go for it. I bought a 7d way way above my capablilities but I am slowly learning where to turn it on. If you buy it now the equivalent in 2-3 years maybe more in dollar terms. Buying top end gear you won't lose as much should you decide to sell at a later date. cheers Brian

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion Cris, sounds interesting I'll investigate

Hi wideangle, have you calibrated your monitor? I find I can't see a thing on my work laptop which is so devoid of contrast it is almost a monotone screen, but it is very obvious on the back of the camera, as well as on my calibrated monitor at home, and also on my friend's hardware calibrated Eizo

It'll be inappropriate for me to link to other forums however there are multipage discussions about this issue all over the web which confirms the issue exists and is a problem for many people
    Yes, my screen is calibrated, if what you mean are a kind of "graininess" in your example, then I think it's so small in this example not to be an issue. Have you tried doing prints from these examples and see how they come out?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast