User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: My first L lens and loving it :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first L lens and loving it :)

Just got my 17-40 today and it's awesome.
    I'm currently using it on an aps-c body so i'm not truly getting the 17mm.
    Saying that though, i went out to Kurnell last night taking shots of the moon and generaly playing round with my failing 17-85 realised that there weren't as many shots shot at 17.
    I've read issues about vignetting at 17mm on FF but I guess i'll deal with that when i do go FF.
    For the moment, equivalent range of 27-64 i'm quite happy with. I still am quite novice and really can't believe the clarity that i'm getting out of these lens.
    (Mind you i've got nothing to compare it too )
    Loving life

But my wallet don't like me much these days lol.

Jay.
    Have recently discovered that I have been taking photos a lot longer than I thought I have ever been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The start of a very expensive love affair.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great lens is the 17-40, I have had one for a while and consider it one of my sharper lenses and probably the easiest to handle, by that I mean I make less mistakes with it than any of the others. Vignetting shouldn't be a big problem with FF, just keep away from 17mm and you will still get great captures. Good luck and the start of a VERY expensive love affair as Scotty72 quoted above
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your new lens. LOL you've done it now, you and your wallet should get used to the new relationship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    The start of a very expensive love affair.
    +1
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just one important bit of advice "DON'T" let your better half see your credit card statement, once you venture down the "L" road you are a lost soul but your lenses will outlast many cameras. Congrats, you have joined the list of the fallen, a happy but poor group.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    L series is for sure the way to go... the one thing you can trust is the quality and reliability of the product

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is an expensive affair. But i must admit the colour produced by the lens is much more deeper, pronounced and richer than most of my others atm. Pity it doesn't have IS. Although looking at the 24-105 may fix the IS deficiency. But, as mentioned earlier, it's expensive so... I need to save for this!

In all seriousness, i'm enjoying what this lens has to offer and it's been permanently stuck to my 500D. Closely with my 50 1.8. It's definitely something i'm going to be learning a lot on.
    Vingnetting hasn't been experienced as much as been read on forums with FF obviously with my 500D. I have experienced it with my 17-85 that is now hunting focus in average/normal light... (poor thing is sick and needs a service!)