Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  39
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Unofficial Forum Etiquette

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    I agree. Also, I think it is rude to quote entire posts, especially when the original is directly above.
    But, there may be a very good reason for it.

Eg. If you posted something and I wanted to comment of what a good point it was, if I don't quote (at least parts) then if you, or someone else, posts another point then, my, 'Good point' may seem like it relates to the new point - get my point?

Now my pet hate (and this may be because I teach English) is people who don't bother to break their writing up into paragraphs. They just go from one point (or topic) to another without starting a new paragraph (or even a new sentence) because cheeseburgers are rarely as tasty as fried chicken. Now when you consider that the difference between a Canon 1D and a Nikon D90 is substantial is it any wonder that Julia Gillard is often compared to Brutus in her tactics at removing Rudd from office.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    Now my pet hate (and this may be because I teach English) is people who don't bother to break their writing up into paragraphs. They just go from one point (or topic) to another without starting a new paragraph (or even a new sentence)
    Oh, my word, YES! I absolutely detest seeing a big lot of words all mumble jumbled together (sorry Scotty if this is offensive grammar for a Teacher ) and no break or paragraph in sight!

I have actually, in other forums, complained about this due to the fact that it makes it very difficult to read and understand. I actually tune out and lose interest if there are no paragraphs....once I've tuned out, you have lost me and all the knowledge you have written has not sunk into my brain.

Now, on other parts of the discussion....

* I would never have seen this thread if Kym hadn't bumped it. Actually I didn't see that it was first started in 2010 until I came across his post. So, you see, rehashing old thread does have it's merits - especially for people who haven't been around since the birth of this forum.

* I couldn't care less if people have their real names or not in the signature! I will just call them by the name they want to use.

* I also detest people quoting on images that the thread-maker has shown. DO NOT put their images in quotes. We have seen their images and we don't need to see them again. You can quite easily just cut out parts of the quote and only use what you want to quote on (like I did with Scotty's post).

* I find that people bumping threads just to get them back into the new threads area is a pain. Yes, we ALL would love to have our images looked at by EVERYONE but sometimes just using the 'thanks' at the end of the post is more appropriate than actually posting "Thanks (name), I am glad you like my image". Waste of time. BTW, I am guilty of posting a thanks instead of using the button

I am sure there are other things, but I guess it is just rehashing what everyone else has said!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was an interesting read for me as I've not participated much in forums previously.
    A useful bump.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember, these are not hard site rules, but simply the unwritten forum etiquette that most members expect.
    It's all about politeness.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234