Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  39
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Forum Etiquette

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but if we don't whine about the things that annoy us, no one will ever know. (Whether they ever care is a different issue .)

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not whining, or I hope not

I'm simply stating what irks me about certain forum behaviour
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear, I've just resurrected a really old thread. Sad that the search tool led me to it. But it did contain answers for me, and led to further questions.

OK Kiwi, thumbs down for #1, but your other two points have some merit. I have a particular dislike for thread hijackers, more so when they wander way off-topic.

Cheers

Kevin
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin, re the point you raise re #1 I specifically are not talking about that sort of reason to post to older threads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of old threads contain juicy bits that deserve to be read and commented on.

Mmmm toast...
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Pentax K10D | Pentax MZ5n | Pentax ME | Pentax 50 1.4 | Sigma 28-70 2.8 | Tamron 70-200 2.8 | Pentax AF360FGZ | Canon Speedlite 540EZ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I didn't realize my tone was whiny.

All societies have etiquette and all societies have rules

Back to my family I go.
    You're a Kiwi, we expect it Darren.........................oops, maybe that should be part of the forum etiquette, no putting dung on our resident Kiwi hahaha
    Lloyd
    Canon 5D2+40D+L+Σ+S100
    Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
    Flickr

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump! (Breaking one of Kiwi's rules )

I've had questions re etiquette by PM from a few new members recently...

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I think that there some forum etiquette that would be "nice" if people were not:
    • For example, dredging up threads older than a couple of months
    • For example, joining up and starting off asking a bunch of non picture taking questions
    • For example, posting your pics uninvited into another's thread
    • (Added by Kym...) Not using search (we have two methods, use google via AP Extras on the menu)
    • Short non contributing posts (eg. 'Nice pic')

I think in most cases its just not realising (Kym: This is probably the main cause)

any others ?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    if you start a topic and get some replies, join back in. Don't just nick off till your next topic.
    Nope. Bad idea. Read but don't post again in the thread unless you actually have something to say.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's bad manners to ask for help, then never reply to the suggestions.

Sometimes someone will post 'I need help, .....'

Several people will offer suggestions, and the OP does not reply.

We don't know if the suggestions helped or not, and if they did, he should at least say 'Thanks'.
    David

Nikon D810
    Nikkor AF-S 24-120VR, Nikkor AF-S 16-35VR, Nikkor AF-S 70-300VR, Nikkor AF 50 f1.8
    Tamron 90mm Macro

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, Davidd. Obviously, in that case, you do have something to say - e.g., "thanks Bruce and Charlie, your suggestions worked brilliantly". But very often, people post a picture, get some replies, then reply saying essentially nothing at all. it's often just an excuse to bump the thread.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One bump is ok if you think you have been missed out for whatever reason, might just be a busy day

Bemoaning a reply isn't on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a good eg of why relying on etiquette is a bad idea.

In the case of bumping threads, some may have been brought up to let sleeping dogs lie, others to allow time to pass then re-think an issue The main problem is, who's upbringing is more correct?

http://blogs.abc.net.au/nsw/2011/07/...might-say.html
    Last edited by Scotty72; 03-07-2011 at 12:31pm.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidd View Post
    I think it's bad manners to ask for help, then never reply to the suggestions.

Sometimes someone will post 'I need help, .....'

Several people will offer suggestions, and the OP does not reply.

We don't know if the suggestions helped or not, and if they did, he should at least say 'Thanks'.
    I agree with this entirely. And I have been known to send members PM's asking them to go back to their thread and thank the members who provided information to them.

My other pet-hate, is people who:

1. Only post about gear, and what is best to use etc, but never post photos to show us that they can walk the talk.

If I am asking if X lens is worth buying, I want to get replies from people who have used the lens, not someone who quotes ad-naseum from another site about the lens, when they have probably never even held onto one. I often giggle when I copy someone's post about a lens into google and find the statement they are making is actually a bit of plagiarism (complete cut-n-paste) from someone else on the net. At least if you are going to do that, put into your post " I have read" or similar, so we all know its not your experience at all.

2. People who post only to ask questions, or get critique, but never comment on any other members photos or threads.

Generally accepted politeness says join in on forums, rather than just post when you want to know something. Others have been willing to spend their own time replying to your threads, so how about being polite and giving back to others as well. I really can't be bothered giving this type of person the time of day.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    This is a good eg of why relying on etiquette is a bad idea.

In the case of bumping threads, some may have been brought up to let sleeping dogs lie, others to allow time to pass then re-think an issue The main problem is, who's upbringing is more correct?

http://blogs.abc.net.au/nsw/2011/07/...might-say.html

I read that and thought, good on the future mother-in-law. Her email was spot on about pretentious upstarts who want castle weddings etc.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I don't mind a bumped thread, even if I just grumbled about it. Best if there is a genuine addition to it though - I suppose we all tend to revisit the threads we have posted in if we see them pop up on New Posts (there must have been something interesting there, otherwise why did we post?), and it's a bit annoying to revisit an interesting thread only to discover that the new addition amounts to nothing at all. Others seem to feel that it is a bit annoying if they say "nice shot" on a thread and the OP doesn't come back and say "thankyou for saying nice shot".

Shrug.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont mean to sound grumpy, i havent had a coffee yet, but the only thing I have learnted from the last two pages is that every one has different opinions. and different amounts that they feel like contributing to different threads. and different names they wish to be known by. which is what a forum is. which brings us back to the first square, step or poll. btw if my post annoys ya feel free to leave a comment, cc, a one liner, thanks or the new WOW button
    Last edited by zollo; 03-07-2011 at 1:01pm. Reason: what annoys me is no punctuation and my own tendency to start new sentences in lower case lol
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollo View Post
    dont mean to sound grumpy, i havent had a coffee yet, but the only thing I have learnted from the last two pages is that every one has different opinions. and different amounts that they feel like contributing to different threads. and different names they wish to be known by. which is what a forum is. which brings us back to the first square, step or poll. btw if my post annoys ya feel free to leave a comment, cc, a one liner, thanks or the new WOW button
    I agree. Also, I think it is rude to quote entire posts, especially when the original is directly above.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    ...Others seem to feel that it is a bit annoying if they say "nice shot" on a thread and the OP doesn't come back and say "thank you for saying nice shot".

Shrug.
    This is me, I'm afraid.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can acknowledge posts with the thanks button - saves a full post
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I read that and thought, good on the future mother-in-law. Her email was spot on about pretentious upstarts who want castle weddings etc.
    Oh! I agree with you .

I think the whole blown-out wedding thing is stupid. The very idea of blowing thousands upon thousands on a wedding is dumb (including to hire photographers) and personally, I find it sickening that people will do it whilst others may be literally going without food.

But, still, it doesn't mean you or I are right.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast