Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  39
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Forum Etiquette

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I think that there some forum etiquette that would be "nice" if people were not:

For example, dredging up threads older than a couple of months
    For example, joining up and starting off asking a bunch of non picture taking questions
    For example, posting your pics uninvited into anothers thread

I think in most cases its just not realising

any others ?
    well IMHO, the first two points would appear to be at odds with what a discussion forum is all about. The only thing that would appear to have some logic is the last point.

Dredging up old threads. Well if there is some new information, additional points of view, or its "new" the new reader; all of which I would consider to be valid. I dont really see what the issue is ? I suppose you could always then have the same subject, the same question being asked over and over again like "I've bought a camera, and I want to go into the photography business", and we can all watch the same answers being supplied by the same people.

New people joining with a question ? What is the problem with that ? I really dont see any logic to this point, and I have to say I find it hugely disappointing that there is a general agreement that that is "not the done thing". The very reason most people join, and take part in a forum, (after, in many cases, considerable time as a lurker) is because they have a question. I simply cannot comprehend why that is an issue.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post

New people joining with a question ? What is the problem with that ? I really dont see any logic to this point, and I have to say I find it hugely disappointing that there is a general agreement that that is "not the done thing". The very reason most people join, and take part in a forum, (after, in many cases, considerable time as a lurker) is because they have a question. I simply cannot comprehend why that is an issue.
    Have to agree there. I've joined many forums where the first thing I've posted apart from the usual intro has been a question but being a mod on another forum, I can understand that it can often be seen as lurkers taking advantage of the generosity of others who go to the effort of posting replies and offering a ton of free information. Add on the fact that most questions that are posted by newbies have sort of been asked (over and over and over) and it really only needs a quick search to find that info and it can be a trifle annoying. Catch 22.
    [- Instagram -]

Nikon Slave... (D90 & D300S)
    -- CCs extremely welcome, further editing of my photos is not. Thanks!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I didn't realize my tone was whiny.

All societies have etiquette and all societies have rules

Back to my family I go.
    I have removed my comment, and a PM is on the way Darren
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't care if someone's first post is a question. I don't see this as an etiquette issue. It is an issue if the question is answered, and all those who have contributed get nothing back in the thread to know if the answers were useful, or even acknowledged - there are a few "one-post wonders". (This has another consequence too - what if the answers didn't fix the problem? People are left with faulty or incomplete solutions.)

I do, however, get irritated about dredging up old threads - yes, I can ignore them, and yes - sometimes the revisit is valuable (hence, it should not be a rule). However, some threads are inherently short lived, and their time has passed. Also, sometimes the discussion has meandered so far off-topic that bringing it back on topic is silly (eg. the "Has photography become too easy" thread - highly entertaining, but the joke is reaching it's natural end.)

In most cases, it is a newcomer to the site. They post an introduction thread, spin through a few forum areas they can now see, and make a comment on a series of them - and occasionally hit old threads. Tolerance is easy, but sometimes I just wish they took a bit more care.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no problem

To clarify a couple of items

I dont think its good etiquette to post to a 6 month old thread a comment that adds no additional value (eg "nice shot")
    I still think its rude to start your involvement on a forum with a whole bunch of questions. Then add nothing back in return, if they return. Sure its a discussion forum, no problem with that, but i like a bit of give with a bit of take, not all one way traffic. I think its simple good manners. It happens a lot where someone joins, asks a question, then buggers off.

Look, not meaning to make a mountain out a molehill here, but these things irk me. So does burnt toast.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    no problem

To clarify a couple of items

I dont think its good etiquette to post to a 6 month old thread a comment that adds no additional value (eg "nice shot")
    I still think its rude to start your involvement on a forum with a whole bunch of questions. Then add nothing back in return, if they return. Sure its a discussion forum, no problem with that, but i like a bit of give with a bit of take, not all one way traffic. I think its simple good manners. It happens a lot where someone joins, asks a question, then buggers off.

Look, not meaning to make a mountain out a molehill here, but these things irk me. So does burnt toast.
    I agree with some of your sentiment here Darren. Certainly we do see people who join up and straight off post "I want..." and once they get answers, never return. Unfortunately at the time it is hard to make a judgement call. Cause they could go on to be active site participants, but we don't know that until they do. Hindsight is a great thing.

How do we stop it, or curb it? I don't think we can, either from an admin/mod or from members. That is just the way of the net. Want an answer, find a site, ask, then move onto as site for the next question.

Interestingly though, most of these 'type' of threads tend to be regarding starting out and becoming a pro'.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't stop it (people joining, asking a question, and never being seen again), and any substantive attempt to control it really damages the forum IMO. Some people roll on to become active members, others don't.

However, I do enjoy the "I wanna become a pro" threads - better than Jerry Springer, but occasionally a mod nightmare, I'm sure.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you can't stop it, and we all bite, and sometime it develops into a good thread.

Back to making toast I go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with vegemite?

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo broadly agrees with #3 of Kiwi’s professed irritations. The very few exceptions to this would include where you may be trying to demonstrate your reply with a helpful example – after all, a picture is worth a thousand words sometimes.

Sorry to say, Mongo does not agree with the camp that disapproves of men and women (and Mongos) of few words. Mongo recently said something about this in another thread to do with giving more comprehensive critiques (which he also disagreed with). Some of that reply touches upon and is relevant to the issue of alleged short replies. Mongo repeats some of his response below:

“Mongo generally agrees that good CC is very useful. However, it would fast become a boring site (instead of an interesting mix) if everything is a serious critique. Some things, images and topics just scream out for the one liner now and then. Mostly people post to get others’ genuine reaction to their work. This can be a critique or just a “Wow” or something else. Sometimes a simple “wow” says an awful lot and Mongo has never known a recipient of a “wow” to be disappointed or looking for more. If someone really craves a critique, they can post it in the appropriate section or actually go out of their way in the introduction to their post to actively seek strong CC (and they will get it)…….. Mongo thinks members should post what they feel about an image. No doubt, on many occasions, they may be spurred on by what they see to write an appraisal/critique of it.”
    Nikon and Pentax user

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps there should be a "WOW" button beside the "Thanks" button.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One bad etiquette that doesn't happen that often on this site, but on some sites it's prevalent is "quoting".
    Seen in this thread as a small example is post 27 by un-named poster. The post he quoted was the one above. Easier to just have said; Kiwi, I agree...... Bla Bla Bla
    Post 22 in this thread is acceptable, because it relates to the original post on another page.
    I have seen on here were someone posted five or six images, and 2 posts down someone has quoted the whole thing. How darn annoying...

Thats my bad etiquette whine.
    Geoff.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    One bad etiquette that doesn't happen that often on this site, but on some sites it's prevalent is "quoting".
    Seen in this thread as a small example is post 27 by un-named poster. The post he quoted was the one above. Easier to just have said; Kiwi, I agree...... Bla Bla Bla
    Post 22 in this thread is acceptable, because it relates to the original post on another page.
    I have seen on here were someone posted five or six images, and 2 posts down someone has quoted the whole thing. How darn annoying...

Thats my bad etiquette whine.
    Geoff.
    Report those posts. We will edit them. I have edited quite a few of those over the years, but as we can't watch every post, we need members help to draw our attention to things at times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now... Where is that "report" button again...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Polls that don't have an expiry date of 7 days get my goat, someone votes a year later and the poll thread pops back to the top

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also people that dont have their real first name in their signature block

Signature blocks that run over 5 or more lines

I think some more buttons would be cool too
    "nice shot"
    "I don't agree"
    "just kidding"

Etc

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. My real first name isn't in my signature. Hasn't been a problem...?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really Jim, what is your first name, I feel bad referring to you by your nickname

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No probs, Bob.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was tempted to wait until this thread had dropped off the page and then to post in it just to annoy Kiwi but I am just not patient enough.

Uninvited picture posting and Hijack is definitely unwelcome and a problem. I think the sites implementation of don't edit my image is definitely a positive move to combat this.

I agree with Kiwi on the point...Nice shot lines on a very old thread are just annoying and a waste of time....whereas constructive critique after this period can still be pertinent and useful.

Though it does seem to be that theres a fair bit of old man whining going on in this thread. I believe their is some famous quote along the lines of "I don't like it"

John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast