Hi all,

I am just chasing some advice on your 'standard' flash setup when shooting at home. I only have a single 580EX-II and Yongnuo triggers so I understand that there are limitations.

For example: on the weekend we had some people over for a christmas party (including kids). If I took a metering, I was getting 1/15s at f5.6 which is obviously too slow and the DOF was pushing the boundaries for a group 'room' shot.

To make it easy on myself, I set the camera to manual with 1/100s, flash bounce off roof @45 and then set the aperture to whatever DOF I wanted. Flash was mounted on the camera hot shoe, E-TTL with 2nd curtain sync. This ends up with the flash doing pretty much all the work which is better than the alternative of blurry shots!

The shots were ok from the point of view that they were in focus, exposed ok and the DOF was what i wanted. However, I still think there is significant room for improvement before going to buy a ST-E2 or similar.

From what I have seen, I could probably push the shutter down to 1/60s before i start getting ghosting (i.e. 2 exposures). I used 1/100s because the kids are all <1yr and move a lot for photos. I know the flash would freeze movement but was concerned about ghosting.

What would be your advice for flahs setup in this situation?