User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jenolan Caves weekend meet 2nd & 3rd April (Updated)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Jenolan Caves weekend meet 2nd & 3rd April (Updated)

Hi all,

I am a new member to ap, it would be great to catch up in one of the many Sydney events.

So I figured I'll put out a EOI for a day photography trip to Jenolan caves, via wentworth falls.

If it was to go ahead, i would set a date for Jan/feb 2011.

What do you guys think, any takers? Suggestions?

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been meaning to get back up to Jenolan Caves for a while, so I would love to make it.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A photographic trip to Jenolan and back in a day is a lot of travelling and you would probably miss the best lighting for landscapes (i.e. dawn and dusk). I would think an overnight trip would be a good idea and autumn ideal for such a trip. You would even have time do a couple of the caves that way.

Cheers

PeterB666

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    A photographic trip to Jenolan and back in a day is a lot of travelling and you would probably miss the best lighting for landscapes (i.e. dawn and dusk). I would think an overnight trip would be a good idea and autumn ideal for such a trip. You would even have time do a couple of the caves that way.
    That, I must say, is a very good idea.

Jenolan caves is 160km from Sydney - So that's about a 5 hour round trip. You would be right so an overnight stay would be great.

So, if we get enough interest for a Mid/Late march overnight weekend. Who here would like to assist me in organizing this?

Rob

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems a lot further from my home than 160km and a 5 hour round trip (Sutherland Shire). I will help you organise it. Late March seems fine or even 1st week of April (School hols start 9 April).

Wait and see what the feedback is over the next few days and it it seems a goer, I will put it in the Calendar.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds great!. Let's see the interest on this trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I`d love to join in if Julie and I can wangle it. Might have to come down the day before and stay over.....sounding better all the time.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I have never been there, count me in, for helping too if you want

Cheers
    Jo

Canon 7D user on P Plates

CC is encouraged: No need to be gentle
    Don't be offended by my CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do weekdays you can get a special photography trip organised where the guide shuts up lets us take in tripods and indulge our creative spirits. This of course would cost a little - call to find out.

Also it would be good to do some research about the caves you want to photograph. Time flies taking photos in those caves but they're absolutely worthwhile. Based on my experience, I would only manage a cave or two per day taking photos.

Enjoy!!
    cheers!
    Sharath

----------------------
    Canon 5D2 | 17-40mm L f4.0 | 70-200mm L f2.8 II| 50mm L f1.2 | 100mm f2.8 macro
    redbubble portfolio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested in this, 2 1/2 drive from my place (Hills district), so also would be up for an overnight stay. I have sent an email to them asking about photographic tours as there's nothing on their web site that I could find saying they run them. Will see what sort of reply I get.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.

This is looking promising.

What I was thinking based on comments, the day would probably go something like this.

- Drive up in the morning to wentworth falls for brunch/photography (great pizza place there)
    - Continue on to Jenolan for our first round of photography + a feed, etc..
    - End the first night over drinks, depending on the night and if around the new moon, I would be getting in some uwa astro shots. ( oj and sleep for the kiddies if in attendance )
    - Start the second day with further photography at Jenolan.
    - end

Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good to me.. Pencil me in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too!

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPhot View Post
    I'd be interested in this, 2 1/2 drive from my place (Hills district), so also would be up for an overnight stay. I have sent an email to them asking about photographic tours as there's nothing on their web site that I could find saying they run them. Will see what sort of reply I get.
    Hi Glenn, did you get a response?
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if I can make it.
    Cheers
    Darey

Nikon user, Thick skinned and wanting to improve, genuine C & C welcomed.

Photographs don't lie ! - Anonymous Liar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    Hi Glenn, did you get a response?
    Yes I did, sorry it took a while but I've been moving old emails across to my new system and it took a while to find it. Here's what they said :

"Hi Glenn,

I would suggest a 2 hour tour of one of the caves, the day and time will determine which cave we can use . The cost would be $550 for the 10 people.

We can discuss logistics etc once you have chosen a date.

Regards

Domino Houlbrook-Cove
    Manager Corporate, Functions & Events
    p 02 6359 3983
    f 02 6359 3083
    domino.cove@jenolancaves.org.au
    www.jenolancaves.org.au
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Monday, 20 December 2010 8:59 PM
    To: Domino Cove
    Subject: Re: Cave tours - photography

Hi Domino,

At this stage we're in the early planning stages, so I can only provide rough details at the moment.

1. Size of the group should be about 10 people (plus gear).
    2. We are all amateur/enthusiast level photographers, so it's only for personal use, not professional or retail.
    3. Not sure on timings yet, I would imagine we would be pretty flexible as we're planning on making it an overnight
    trip as we're travelling from Sydney. As I have never been to the caves I can't answer on how long we would need,
    but I would assume given how long low light photography takes we would need at least the minimum time it takes
    for a standard tour plus 30 minutes ? If you have run photographic tours before perhaps you could suggest what
    tour durations would be a good fit ?
    4. At this stage the current plan is for a trip in late March / early April 2011."

I just picked a round figure for the group size, not sure if it will cost more with a smaller group (I would assume so), but at least we have a ball park figure. I'd still be keen for this, I would think we'll need to start looking at booking this by late Feb. Thoughts ?

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds good. Based on 10 people, that is only around $5 to $10 a head more than normal pricing.

From the EOI, and discussions with others, I would guess we would have an absolute minimum of 8 and more likely 12 or more with family/friends that some may be bringing along.

I will put the first weekend in the calendar this evening as this seems the best fit.

The itinerary suggested by Rob looks excellent and we can all make our own arrangements for accommodation.

It may be an idea to either post in here, or a separate thread, confirmation of attendance, probably to be made AFTER people have booked accommodation. That way we don't get in the situation of telling the Caves people we want a tour with 20 people and only 6 turn up. Ouch $$$.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, I have added the Jenolan Caves weekend in the NSW events calendar for 2-3 April.

Cheers

Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mary and I have booked in for a Dinner Bead and Breakfast package at Mountain Lodge (right behind Caves House) on 2nd April 2011.
    My birthday is 1st May and Mary's is 2nd March so this is our birthday present to each other.
    Some Details:
    I only wanted single night accommodation and I didn't want to worry about looking around for food. Most cabins, lodges and room bookings are 2 night minimum on weekends so Mountain Lodge, offering single night stays, was the best fit for what I wanted.
    The dinner is served in the Caves House Restaurant and I was told that, if we want, they will arrange a large table for 10-20 people if they are given 48 hours prior notice.
    I booked a single room (King double) for 2 and the package cost $315 with a $100 deposit. (look at accommodation costs else where, add food costs and I think you will see this is not a bad package).
    The booking number is 1300 76 33 11 and information can be found here: http://www.jenolancaves.org.au/Home_Page.php

So Mary and I are definitely attending the Jenolan Caves AP meet and we look forward to seeing you there.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have booked a room (also 2 nights to leave on Monday) in Caves House but it is very Monty Python as the rates have not been set for rooms in the main hotel for April and beyond. After some umming and arhing on their part, I managed to place a reservation.

I have to ring up a month before to find out how much and arranged the meal suppliment (also price unknown) to be added to the unknown room rate. They would not take a deposit.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast