User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Can anyone recommend a compact camera??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone recommend a compact camera??

Would like to buy our seven year old a compact for xmas, something in the range of $100 - $150. Can anyone recommend anything in particular? Maybe spend a few dollars more if it's justified.

Thank you.
    Always willing to sacrifice my artistic integrity for cash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought of any of the waterproof cameras - eg. Fuji Z33 WP that can be had online for about $150. My daughter has one and has survived her treatment and takes reasonable pics, plus with summer on us you can take it to the beach into the surf etc. without a worry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd agree with Russell.

At that age something robust would be the go. We've had an Olympus mju since they first appeared. We got it for bushwalking where weather is a significant factor and have enjoyed it.

Our daughter is very tough on cameras (surprisingly unlike her brothers who are tough on anything else but treat cameras a bit better). She's dropped them in the ocean, before she realised its water proof, and generally mistreated it, but the original still chugs along.

She borrowed it to go to South America a year ago, and we didn't expect to see it again, so bought a newer version for ourselves & we're quite happy with that as well, and the old one came back, still in good nick

I believe the shock proof water proof ones are now called mju tough and seem to start around $250

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DigitalRev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Battler View Post
    Would like to buy our seven year old a compact for xmas, something in the range of $100 - $150. Can anyone recommend anything in particular? Maybe spend a few dollars more if it's justified.

Thank you.

Here are a few suggestions from us, the Pentax H90 looks nice.
    DigitalRev - My photos, my storyâ„¢

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Managed to score a bargain on a Panasonic DMC F3 for $115 from one of the major retailers. Tried to support the site sponsor but this was too good a deal to pass up. Have some friends who have used Digital Rev and have been very pleased with service and price.

Thanks for the pointers Oldskool and Boo re waterproof cameras but I figured I can trust our little one with the compact. She really is very careful and I happily let her wander around with my DSLR.

Will post some of her pics up after xmas. Have just come across some compact pics posted in one of the forums and was very impressed with the quality so will be keen to see what she can come up with.

Thanks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Battler View Post

but I figured I can trust our little one with the compact. She really is very careful and I happily let her wander around with my DSLR.

:
    Your a brave man. My "little one" I mentioned is 23 and I'm not sure how far I trust her with my DSLR's

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offence intended towards your 'little one' or your parenting abilities Boo. But, if I was giving a camera to our 8 year old boy, it would need to be encased in some kind of brick enclosure to survive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if it is age or just the individual. I purchased a great little P&S camera that had manual and a flip out screen before I purchased my DSLR. My husband and kids took it on a trip to Victoria (I didn't go along). It was only about 8 weeks old. It got dropped and whilst this damaged the exterior a little it luckily still worked (goodbye warranty though).

My husband has just returned for Mexico where he went on a holiday with two of my sons (again I couldn't go along for this trip). I gave him the same camera once again and this time it didn't even make it home. Lost/stolen on one of the long bus trips along with all the fabulous images he had taken.

And they wonder why I won't let them touch my DSLR gear. Hmmmmmm