User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Macro reversing adapter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Macro reversing adapter

Am I correct in assuming that the Nikon BR-2A reversing adapter is only useful for lens with a 52mm filter thread? The two lenses I wanted to use are both 58mm filter thread.

Would it still work if I used a step down ring to mount a 58mm lens to the 52mm adapter or will that cause problems?

If that is not possible then I guess I'm left witht he option of reversing two lens using a reversing coupler ring. What would be a good combination of lenses to use? 135 + 50 / 35 or 58/35?

cheers
    Nikon D750
    Olympus m/43
    Rolleicord IV

My SmugMug

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try here
    Keith.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Keith. Although the item is titled 58mm, in the description it is described as a 52mm. I am guessing that 52mm is a limitation of the F mount size?

While I was waiting, I decided to try it out for myself. Used the only two lens I have with matching filter threads (58mm) which happen to be my Voigtlander 58/1.4 and my CZ 35/2. I mounted the 58mm to the camera and carefully hand held the 35/2 in front so the two were flush.
    I found stopped down the front lens worked best - as when I stopped down the attached lens I got severe vignetting and darkening making focus a guess. I have attached examples of what result I got using F/2 for the attached 58mm and f/16 for the 35 held in front (using bouncing off camera flash to permit shutter of 1/200th. As you can see DoF is tiny - will experiment with different aperture values for each lens and see what works best I guess.

cheers,
    Showing the vignette with the above settings

A crop of the above

Another crop of a screw thread

Last edited by kaiser; 14-12-2010 at 12:37am.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there's a very high chance that you'[ll get some big vignetting?

Never tried it, don't have one.. but now I'm keen too..

very timely reminder to open search ebay
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a couple more to give you an idea of the magnification.

This is the edge of a 5c piece...you can even see the texture of the fibres in the paper!

They won't win any awards but its fun knowing that I can get this kind of magnification for playing around to see if macro is for me

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep Arthur, look at the pic in my first set of pics - that is the vignetting I am getting - it changes with different combinations of apertures so I still playing around to find the ebst compromise of DoF and vignettes. All the other pics are crops from the "usable image circle", for want of a better explanation

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting shots Kaiser. I have a 52mm reversing ring for canon mount, I used it a bit before I got my 90mm Tamron. I checked out the store from the link and did a search for reversing rings. They have a large range and I think the 52mm in the description is a typo.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah ok cool I will have a closer look. I didn't find it too hard to hand hold really so may as well just keep doing it that way. Don't really like the idea of a full lens weight hanging off another's filter thread anyway. I think the magnification ratio I am getting is higher than 1:1.....if I got a proper macro lens I'd need extension tubes to get above 1:1, is that right?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just on a side note - while doing this experiement - my shutter speed on the D700 would sometimes change to 1/640 instead of the set 1/160. Everything was in manual mode with an SB900 mounted in the hot shoe on M as well. Any idea what would cause this error? I'm stumped?