User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: universal quick release plate adapter for Velbon VGB-3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

universal quick release plate adapter for Velbon VGB-3

hey everyone, I have an old velbon VGB-3 tripod that doesn't have a quick release plate for the camera. I was wondering if there is a product out there that will enable me to do so as it makes the transition from a tripod to hand held quite difficult and slow hence the need for a quick release. at the moment I have a Canon 400D with a battery grip but will hopefully upgrade to a 50D soon so will need to find a plate that will be able to support the camera. I'm not looking for the ones that have the adjustable heads but rather just the plate itself.

thanks in advanced!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi geared, I also have an old Velbon VGB-3 and was also looking for ways to "modernize" the tripod and make it more comfortable to use since its a sturdy and well made tripod. So I wrote to Velbons service asking which quick release systems are compatible with the VGB-3 and received the following answer "You can set up QRA-635L on VGB-3. This is Velbon's magnesium Quick Release
    system. You can also remove its panhead and set up QHD-51Q or QHD-61Q. "
    I chose the QRA-635L since my VGB-3 is already fitted with a pan-head. I subsquently ordered the QRA-635L and spare quick release adapter (BQ-635L) since I have two DSLRs I wanted to use without having to remove the adapter everytime fom the camera body. The Quick release system and adapter arrived today and I tried it out. Works perfectly. If you are interrested I could send you a pic of the tripod with the adapter.

Hope this answer helps you, and you still have many years of good use from your VGB-3.

regards
    scatterling

P.S. I think Velbon service centre were a bit surprized that there are still VGB-3 s fom the early 1970's in use today

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey mate, thanks for the helpful reply, yeah the VGB-3 is awesome, it was my grand dads so it is at least 30 years old now. such a sturdy piece of equipment compared to a lot of the items available on the market today. if you could email me or PM me some photos of the quick release system that would be much appreciated.

cheers

Wesley