User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Suggestions for camera backpack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestions for camera backpack.

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to get a good camera backpack and wanted some idea's. I think I have reduced it down to 3 options.

Tamrac 5788 Evolution 8
    Lowepro Fastpack 350
    StreetWalker® Pro

The thing is thought that I have a small tripod and want to be able to carry that internally. The reason for this is that I will be doing a lot of travelling with the gear on a bike and I don't trust that the external methods will work that well for securing the tripod and it will fall off.

Has anyone setup a backpack that where they have put a tripod internally and what type was it?

Thanks.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, no experience with the 3 u listed but my camera bag does allow me to fit my tripod inside the bag.
    It's a Gura Gear Kiboko.
    Very light and is divided into 2 compartments.
    I don't normally need to fully load my bag but when I do, the tripod, softbox (folded up) and anything long fits into one side whilst the other side is further sub-compartmentalise for my camera, about 5 small/mid-sized lens (my biggest lens is a 14-24mm) and 2 speedlight with room to spare.
    There is a slot on the outside of the bag for the tripod too so I guess u could pack it in whilst biking or slot it on the outside when u need it handy.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Redback200,
    I also have NO experience with your listed preferences, but I will through I would throw in my 2 cents worth.

I started with a Lowepro Nova 190 AW good for a camera, 1 extra small lens and flash, rather a hard case and not to comfortable.
    I then got a Lowepro Vertex 300AW back pack holds heaps heavy and normally sits in the car as a storge bin. I would hate to have to carry it any distance, but you got to do what you got to do.
    My hopefully last bag is a Lowepro Slingshot 302AW It's good .... Spin ot around to your front and take the camera out . It will take any size DSLR with a 70-200 mounted plus a few extra lenses and flash. I carried it around QLD with the 70-200 and flash plus a 24-105 mounted on the Camera. It also has extra personal storage pocket, water proofing cover and external tripod/mono holder, plus some smaller zipper pockets. and a belt strap for hip support if needed on long walks.

So convenient the only time that I had to take it off was to swap lenses.

Give the slingbacks some thought, sofar I have found it great.

Steve
    Last edited by SteveK; 14-12-2010 at 3:11pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not familiar with the Tamrac or StreetWalker but I do have a Lowepro Fastpack 350 that I purchased for an overseas trip. I carried this bag for extended periods of time and found it comfortable and well designed. The waist belt will ensure that your hips take the load instead of your back and shoulders. I kept a notepad in the laptop compartment so I could download the photos from the camera every day to check the images and also as a backup medium. I can fit a Joby Gorillapod lying sideways in the top compartment no problems. The top compartment is 28cm wide x 22cm high with the base 15cm deep tapering to 3cm at the top. The main (bottom) compartment has adjustable partitions for lenses, etc but you would be hard pressed to fit both a tripod and a SLR camera in there.

The top and main compartments are sealed between the two so you wont be able to fit a tripod much larger than a Gorillapod internally. I can’t fit my 40cm monopod internally in the top compartment but it fits nicely in the external mesh pocket on the side. You could put a slightly larger tripod into this mesh pocket (designed for drink bottle) but you would have to tie the top of the tripod to the top of the bag to secure it from flopping around.

If you are going to do a lot of travelling on a bike I would recommend getting a saddlebag rack and saddle bag/s as well. I have rear saddlebags on my bike and trike and I can easily fit my 055XPROB tripod vertically into one of the bags. I then secure the top of the tripod to the saddlebag rack using strong nylon string to ensure it does not move. I place the Lowepro across the saddlebag rack and secure it with 2 bungee cords. If you secure equipment properly it won’t fall off. I find it preferable to ride without a bag on my back as it keeps me cooler on hot days or when I work hard.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by brownie; 15-12-2010 at 5:41am.
    Nikon D90, 18-200VR II, Tokina 100mm Macro, Sigma 150-500, Nikkor 35mm, Giotto Rocket Air Blower

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks for all of your input. I think in the end no matter which backpack I go for I might have to have some custom alterations done. I will be buying some extra inserts so if I stuff up it will still be usable even without the tripod.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like internal tripod, after all, the tripod gets dirty...

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd suggest you look at the various manufacturers websites where they give load capacities and internal dimensions.

I got my Lowepro Rover AW 11 from here, cheapest by far. http://stores.ebay.com.au/moonlightf...=p4634.c0.m322

Cheers

Kevin
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,
    I noticed you're in Melbourne.

Removed reference to Business
    [18] Members with under 30 days membership and 50 posts are not allowed to promote or complain! Promotion or complaints about services/people/organisations/products/businesses by new members is not allowed anywhere on Ausphotography.

Cheers,

Dave.
    Last edited by MarkChap; 10-01-2011 at 1:13pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about the post above, i didn't realise i couldn't recommend a place.

Anyway i was suggesting getting your backpack modified to suit your needs. I've done this for several backpacks and not just for photography. This way i have a larger selection of backpacks to choose from and it also doesn't say "steal my camera gear" which is nice.

Cheers,
    Dave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been hunting around for another backpack in the last few weeks after looking through some threads here (to take splitboarding in the backcountry) and came accross f-stop backpacks. They are modular with the size of ICU's (Internal Camera Units) and have several different packs from the small all the way through to 50-60 litres for overnight/weekly backcountry missions.

They are pricey but within the splitboard / skiing backcountry community are being reviewed well.

Cheers,

Dave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Streetwalker Pro a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't put the tripod in the carrier yet to see how it sits. Will do so tonight and let you know how it feels. There's no way you'd get it inside though without seriously compromising the amount of room you have available as far as I can see. It's a very nice backpack though!

I'd probably go for the larger Streetwalker Hard-Drive though if I bought again. The Pro is a lot more compact than I thought it would be. It's just right for the gear I have now (Canon 40D, 10-22mm, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f4L, 100mm f2.8 Macro, 50mm f1.8, filters, portable hard-drive, etc), however another lens and I'd struggle if I was moving everything at once.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The f-stop bags are awesome. Having different size ICU means being able customize it for whatever you need it for. With the small and medium ICUs you can still pack a whole heap of stuff in the bag, clothes, laptop, food, drink and a small traveller type tripod should fit no issues .

It was designed for action sports/ hiking so would be quite ideal for your bike. It's incredibly comfy and made to last.

What I really like is that you access camera gear from the back, so you can (with the hip strap attached) just rotate it to your front and take out what you need without putting it down.

I have the tilopa which is a 50lt bag so it's quite big, but not massive. There's a new one out called the loka which is a fair bit slimmer but still holds a ton. I also like the fact that they look just like a normal hiking pack.
    Canon 5DmIII | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 17-40mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 24-70mm 2.8 |

Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have come to the conclusion, that whichever bag you buy, they are heavy once you stash your camera bodies, lenses, accessories etc.
    So what you want to ensure is the comfort of the straps and that you adjust them correctly to your body.
    Sometimes I feel like a thief - capturing and holding life for that instant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have any experience / feedback / comments on the Crumpler camera bags and backpacks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the Crumpler bags I have used IMO were more about ascetics than proper use (that is just my opinion). I now use a Flipside 400AW. Carries most of my kit and keeps it dry. I put it to the test recently in the Daintree rain forest for a few days (this was 28th Feb 2011) and it was without swearing "inclement" weather should we say. No faults very easy to carry 15Kg and my large tripod. It is not a cheap bag but take a look at it and see what you think. I really can recommend it.

Forgot to add I bike to work with it and it offers a good bit of protection. 4Km a day and it has room for my lunch in there too....... what more could you ask for
    Last edited by Flesh; 12-04-2011 at 1:07pm.