Based on a few threads here lately, and a discussion or two Ive had with members at various AP meets I thought a thread might be useful for those quite new to photography about why, when and if you should upgrade your camera body

I've searched for a similar thread and can't immediately see a generic advice one, apologies if I have missed it.

I'd be very happy for experienced members to chirp in too

My thoughts are that all too often I see members with say a Nikon D90 suggesting that they "need" a D7000, or D700, becuase somehow that's going to improve my photography

Now, Id suggest that in the vast majority of cases that's simply not going to happen to be frank.

I think that in general most new (within the last three years) camera bodies at pretty much any expenditure lebel for an SLR for any brand under most conditions (and there are exceptions) have the built-in capability (focus ability, colour rendition, noise characteristics, dynamic range, contrast, shutter speed, megapixels) to take brilliant photos every bit as good under most conditions as say a Nikon D3 or Canon 5DMkii

So, I think, before rushing to the conclusion that you need to upgrade, think about why, what else is there that could be causing what I think is a problem - and that usually comes down to experience, skill, and lenses than camera body.

Now for the exceptions. And I think they are exceptions.

As an example, noise.....some camera bodies just are rubbish over say 800 iso. And so if you are shooting low light night shots, sport at dusk etc then that's going to be important.

So, your thought please ?