User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  61
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Becoming a Professional Photographer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great advice from Redgum. I am/was an accountant with several businesses including p/t photography. If you are charging top prices make sure you have the knowledge, business accumen & professionalism that your client is paying for. There are many talented & knowledgeable hobbyists out there & I guarantee that there will be one at almost every wedding. Taking a photograph is only a facet of a photography business.

- - - Updated - - -

Franko I would agree with much of what you say. I agree that there are many who think being a pro photographer is pushing a shutter button. In the 70s I did the NYI of Photography course which I found invaluable & then spent several years as a forensic photographer. I now indulge my passion for photography as a part timer as I can afford to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pro photography is not dead yet, despite rumours to the contrary. It's true that aesthetic standards demanded by marketing and PR people have fallen just as technical standards have risen. I've been earning a living exclusively since the early eighties and I' still busy, enjoying my work and clients. I try to keep my day rate high, clients with low standards soon discover they can be fulfilled at lower cost.
    For those with the energy and support to wing it I had some great advice I got early in my career from a lab manager; run separate business and personal bank accounts. Pay yourself weekly, no matter how small the amount. It's a variation of the old "mind your pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves" adage.
    Still on money, it's worth trying to figure out your profit margin, can be hard early on. Let's say it's 10%. That means that each new piece of tasty equipment you buy must add ten times it's value to your new business before you start earning from it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Business does not die, it changes. Unfortunately, most owners can't recognise change quickly enough to survive. Greengrocers need to sell more than bananas. Hardware stores need to sell more than tools. Photographers need to sell more than photographs. To survive you need to diversify and change can be a very close friend. So, when you plan your new business think of photography as the base and look at any number of complementary products as support. One day, if photography dies, that complementary product may just be your survival. If history repeats - it will be.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    Ok, this is not going to be a popular post. But, as a recently retired professional photographer from 1982 until September last year, it is my honest opinion that photography as a profession is now dead. The emergence of digital technology, combined with the instant and global publishing ability given by the internet, means that only a very few, extremely talented and extremely good sales/business people will truly be successful as pro photographers.

Of course, there is, and will increasingly be, a plethora of amateurs/semi-pros making a few quid out of photography. But the real fact is that commercial budgets have simply been reduced as the value of photography has declined. Today even experienced product and marketing managers often fail to see the value in professional images and as a result fail to assign sufficient budget to generate great images. Too often the attitdue is, "So-and-so in accounts is a keen photographer and has a good camera. We'll get her to do it," rather than, "If we commit a large budget to this product and get a really great photographer to shoot it then our brand image will be high with a resultant increase in sales over a period of time." Marketing professionals today simply fail to see the difference between good photography and not-so-good photography. Sad, but true. 20 years ago I was routinely getting shoot budgets of $15000 a shot. My day rate in 1988 was $1400 a day; when I retired it was $600.

Social photography has been impacted even more severly. As the vast majority of social photography - wedding and portrait - are today usually shot outside, the technical knowledge for this type of photography is low and therefore the entry level extremely broad. It is not for nothing that the vase majority of new photographers are therefore entering this field rather than advertising or industrial/commercial photography where a lot of equipment and knowledge of lighting, depth of field, depth of focus and such arcane laws as the Scheimpflug principle are required to be successful with the concommitant investment in both education and equipment is high.

Does this mean it's not wortlh pursuing a career in imaging? Definitely not. There are plenty of opportunities out there for exceptionally skilled and talented people. Here's what I think is necessary to be successful in the future:
    1. Learn videography rather than just photography. Cameras such as the Red, not to mention the latest DSLRs are capable of creating theatre quality motion pictures as well as print quality still images.
    2: It is becoming much more important for an imaging professional to be highly skilled in post-production technologies if they are to be able to deliver images and footage that is significantly different/better than anybody else. It means the ability, no, the necessity, of being able to pre-visualise an image/scene in its completed state and then to structure the various steps to achieve that final result from set to props to direction to capture to post-production manipulation to output.

If you truly want to be a professional, invest in education; live, sleep and breathe your craft (there won't be room in your life for anything else) and move to one of the major cities - Sydney, London, New York, LA, etc - where the vast majority or professional imaging takes place.

Hey, I've been an advertising photographer for the last 30 years too (nearly retired). Franco, you sound like an echo. What you say is what everyone in the industry is talking about. Our industry is being shredded before our eyes.
    It started with audio. mp3 is now the music standard, and it is garbage. How often I hear people say what great photos their iphone takes, more garbage. Graphic designers moaning about supplied headshots taken by the wife in the backyard, on a phone, that ruin all their efforts. Art directors who don't give a toss about quality. But most critically, drastically slashed budgets.
    I run one of the remaining few big studios in Brisbane. I don't know if I can continue for much longer. Soon there will be none.
    As others have stated, taking photos is only one aspect of running a photography business. I've seen really talented people fail because they don't understand the business side, which is just as important as taking great pictures (every time!).
    I have seen many assistants with great confidence go to jelly when put in charge of a shoot, where if you make a mistake, can cost $thousands. It is not a job for the feint hearted.
    If you are contemplating a career in advertising/Commercial photography, you need to freelance assist for several years. Even that is becoming difficult. Budget cuts often mean no money for an assistant.
    However, a wise friend once said "If you are good enough, the work will come". Be sure you are good enough. Accolades from friends doesn't count.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really great thread, Thank you all for your input and advice. I'm just starting up in the business but have been an enthusiast for many years, I've been a Chef for the past 16 years but due to an injury I am no longer able to continue on. Things are going well so far, I've done a few weddings, photographed pets and shot god knows how many family portraits. Hearing mixed views concerning the business, I'm hoping that my hard working nature and enthusiasm will pull me through. I agree that like anything you need to master your craft first and foremost and in this particular case technical education and experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Really great thread, Thank you all for your input and advice. I'm just starting up in the business but have been an enthusiast for many years, I've been a Chef for the past 16 years but due to an injury I am no longer able to continue on. Things are going well so far, I've done a few weddings, photographed pets and shot god knows how many family portraits. Hearing mixed views concerning the business, I'm hoping that my hard working nature and enthusiasm will pull me through. I agree that like anything you need to master your craft first and foremost and in this particular case technical education and experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK so we have heard from the "oldish" pro's, now a comment from the other side.
    Photography is a hobby for me, one which I have recently regained a passion for. I am, however, a professional Marketeer of some 30+ years. The guy with the money that you folk would desperately like to get your hands on.
    Professional photography is not deceased, it has simply evolved, along with everything else. A few years back I joined a company as Marketing Director for A&NZ. One of the first things I did was ditch the thousands of product shots they had been using and brought in a Professional. The same Professional who had worked for me over many years and multiple companies. The majority of the pics went onto an e-commerce website with all the limitations that imposes BUT my customers were making a decision to purchase primarily based on the picture or short video displayed. The Professional I contracted knew what I needed and delivered with her usual minimal fuss. She worked with the Product Managers, the web site company and the advertising agency seamlessly without me becoming involved.
    Two things drove me as a client.
    Was I going to get ROI (return on investment) for the $$$'s. This applies for everything from product shots to events.
    Do I have confidence in the Professional to get the job done and deliver the result I want (i.e. do I have confident relationship with this person).
    So, the way for a true Professional to compete is really very simple, build confidence in the client that you will make them money and deliver on the promise.

Someone starting out needs to find a client who they can nurture to the point where they will pay the rent before giving up the day job.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HughD View Post
    OK so we have heard from the "oldish" pro's, now a comment from the other side.
    Photography is a hobby for me, one which I have recently regained a passion for. I am, however, a professional Marketeer of some 30+ years. The guy with the money that you folk would desperately like to get your hands on.
    Professional photography is not deceased, it has simply evolved, along with everything else. A few years back I joined a company as Marketing Director for A&NZ. One of the first things I did was ditch the thousands of product shots they had been using and brought in a Professional. The same Professional who had worked for me over many years and multiple companies. The majority of the pics went onto an e-commerce website with all the limitations that imposes BUT my customers were making a decision to purchase primarily based on the picture or short video displayed. The Professional I contracted knew what I needed and delivered with her usual minimal fuss. She worked with the Product Managers, the web site company and the advertising agency seamlessly without me becoming involved.
    Two things drove me as a client.
    Was I going to get ROI (return on investment) for the $$$'s. This applies for everything from product shots to events.
    Do I have confidence in the Professional to get the job done and deliver the result I want (i.e. do I have confident relationship with this person).
    So, the way for a true Professional to compete is really very simple, build confidence in the client that you will make them money and deliver on the promise.

Someone starting out needs to find a client who they can nurture to the point where they will pay the rent before giving up the day job.
    Thanks for the thoughts and views, but demand-supply also comes into play. Since 2000 the number of weddings in Aus has decreased each year, such that we are down about 20,000 weddings per annum on 2000 figures. Yet in that same time we have seen a huge growth in the number of photographers offering themselves up as Wedding photographers. yes there is good work to be had, but from a photographer point of view, the market is evolving and changing, but the number of photographers seeking to take up those jobs has increased dramatically (thanks to digital to some extent), so people need to be made aware that supply/demand is out of whack as well, and not every person who wants to become a professional photographer is going to succeed and be able to earn a good/decent living off being a photographer alone.
    Last edited by ricktas; 10-06-2014 at 11:16pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rick
    Good point on Weddings. I know a Professional video guy who does some Weddings on weekends to pick up a few extra dollars. He says that the money is poor per hour and competition is high. I guess it would be the same for Wedding Photographers.
    My real point was that I believe that there are new opportunities for the right Pro.
    Thanks
    Hugh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spoke to a grand master photographer recently, and he too has confirmed the industry is tough, but also shared how some true professionals (referring to people who have walked the mile to acquire the knowledge and skills to produce quality product) are standing together to secure shoots and then "share" by contracting each other to ensure that the job is done 100% professional. As we were speaking and he was sharing some of his wisdom, he had a call from a another true pro who asked for him to join in a shoot. It is good to see how "old-timers" are standing together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maranatah View Post
    I spoke to a grand master photographer recently, and he too has confirmed the industry is tough, but also shared how some true professionals (referring to people who have walked the mile to acquire the knowledge and skills to produce quality product) are standing together to secure shoots and then "share" by contracting each other to ensure that the job is done 100% professional. As we were speaking and he was sharing some of his wisdom, he had a call from a another true pro who asked for him to join in a shoot. It is good to see how "old-timers" are standing together.
    As long as they are not sharing too much information on pricing as that could constitute price fixing, collusion , anti-competitive practices etc... which is illegal ?
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread this! It's nice to get an insight into what needs to happen for those of us hoping to make a career out of photography/media. I'm especially looking to get advice on the different study options ie the difference between a degree vs a diploma etc. I'm sure it's covered in a thread somewhere so I'll keep looking, but since you're all here you might as well give your opinion!

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Youroldmate View Post
    the difference between a degree vs a diploma
    I will hazard a guess that one will cost you more than the other but one thing I know with total certainty is that neither will make you a better photographer than someone without them ----
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread this! It's nice to get an insight into what needs to happen for those of us hoping to make a career out of photography/media. I'm especially looking to get advice on the different study options ie the difference between a degree vs a diploma etc. I'm sure it's covered in a thread somewhere so I'll keep looking, but since you're all here you might as well give your opinion!
    I'd agree with Andrew. With a double degree from wayback in business/film/television plus a diploma in film and television I would have to say the diploma is the more practical learning and contributed most to the technical side of my business. However, without my business learning nothing would have succeeded. (i.e. You need to learn contracts before you take photos) If you analyse why over 90% of photographic businesses fail it's simply a lack of professional knowledge. There are two ways to overcome this; 1) Learn or 2) Employ someone that knows what to do (Ford philosophy).
    BTW: If you want accurate data on why photography businesses have failed or are failing simply go to the ABS. Not much info there on success though.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with the above. Photography is an Art, if you see an artist painting a scene at the local beach, and you absolutely love the painting, you would talk to the artist about buying it. I bet the question 'what diploma/degree do you have' doesn't come up as part of the initial discussion.

Yes it is great for you to have a diploma/degree but that is not going to make you a successful photographer.

But if you have to have one, do the diploma... and do one in business and marketing while you are at it. BUT check out all the online photography diplomas on offer. Most are NOT from registered training organisations (RTO's) and are therefore not a government recognised qualification. What you seek is a Certificate IV in photo imaging from an RTO. Do NOT sign up to something like The Photography Institute, or one of those photography diplomas from Deal of the Day sites. These are not worth the paper the diploma is printed on.
    Last edited by ricktas; 16-04-2015 at 7:42pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice one Redgum, that's the sort of advice I'm after! The only problem I have is that the diplomas I've seen seem very expensive! Without any experience of tertiary study, I simply thought a degree would look better on a cv. As I doubt very much I'd be out on my own straight after study, I think theres a need for something on paper. Having been an "uneducated" videographer on and off over the last 10 years, I've been in a bunch of situations where I've had explain to some marketing idiot why I didn't have a degree. Most of the time, they just couldn't understand that my work experience, the people I've worked with over time and short courses I've done could be seen as the equivalent. While he used to stick up for me, I think the guy I was working with was a little embarrassed that it kept coming up. It never happened in my first few years filming surfing, but almost as soon as I moved over into the corporate world, it seemed that all people wanted to talk about was which uni they went to!
    Just my experience and reasoning.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice one Redgum, that's the sort of advice I'm after! The only problem I have is that the diplomas I've seen seem very expensive! Without any experience of tertiary study, I simply thought a degree would look better on a cv. As I doubt very much I'd be out on my own straight after study, I think theres a need for something on paper. Having been an "uneducated" videographer on and off over the last 10 years, I've been in a bunch of situations where I've had explain to some marketing idiot why I didn't have a degree. Most of the time, they just couldn't understand that my work experience, the people I've worked with over time and short courses I've done could be seen as the equivalent. While he used to stick up for me, I think the guy I was working with was a little embarrassed that it kept coming up. It never happened in my first few years filming surfing, but almost as soon as I moved over into the corporate world, it seemed that all people wanted to talk about was which uni they went to!
    Education in general is pretty expensive in Australia. I agree with the sentiments that it won't make you a photographer, but I think that's pretty much the way most things work in life. Nothing is more valuable than a couple of years experience.

I think ultimately photography is different in some respects in the sense that I don't believe a customer will ask to see your degree, they want to see the work you have done previously. Corporates on the other hand rely on degrees to filter candidates and there are some organisations I know who won't take senior management without an MBA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did my film degree back in the 80's purely for commercial reasons. I wanted to work my television studios with Griffith Uni to train undergraduate interns for money. I already had lots of experience. It worked and more than paid for my education. In 2008 I wanted to teach film at TAFE and private colleges and my degree was too old so I did an advanced diploma in Film & Television to qualify. The diploma took me 2.5 hours all up because by then I had my degree and 25 years experience. (They call that RPL - Recognition of Prior Learning) So now I've been teaching film & television for years but could not of done that without the qualifications. As I freelance with National Geographic I can also teach photography with the same qualifications.
    Yes, ongoing education is important but not necessarily for technical reasons. To do any meaningful work with government or the corporate sector you need the paper. It doesn't necessarily make me a better practitioner but the people that employ me think it does and keep on paying the bills. If the jobs dry up as they do from time to time I go back to teaching and when I'm too old to travel to central asia and Africa I can earn good money telling students just what I've told you. If you have faith and focus good luck becomes an add-on. In my opinion TAFE is probably the best place to do a diploma.
    Last edited by Redgum; 17-04-2015 at 5:30pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Summarised for everyone

http://petapixel.com/2016/02/17/info...-photographer/

Thread can be closed now
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No! No! He's missed one step but I guess he's still learning.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RG.

Well said ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast