Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  89
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ausphotography Member feedback - Tell us what you think of AP

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ausphotography Member feedback - Tell us what you think of AP

As another year comes to a close and we head towards 2011, what better time than now to take stock, and ask you, the members, what you like, dislike, want, don't want for Ausphotography.

So now is your chance to tell us if there is anything about the site you don't like, and why. Tell us also, about what you do like and why.

After all, Ausphotography is here for you, and if we can make it better by getting rid of something, or starting something new, we will. So open up and tell us what you think of Ausphotography.

All suggestions, dislikes, praise, is welcome.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I just say that this is the best forum I have joined.
    I love how friendly and how helpful everyone is and it's inspired me to fall more in love with this hobby.
    I love that I can share my images and get honest feedback and tips to help me learn more and better myself in my photography. Seriously words can't express how good this forum is, I love it.
    Thankyou for having me here.
    Rick, keep doing what you're doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I press buttons and hope for the best!"
    Check out my Flickr page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd knock on the head threads that are political, religious, sexist or racist (not that there are any allowed anyhow of the latter two)

I'd also carry on the marvelous work you mods do behind the scenes and infront of house too

I'm not sure what else you could do apart from perhaps something like Fred Miranda where you put in a formal place for an official gear review and then member feedback. It would be a good service for members considering certain gear and would I think if a public thread drive in traffic

Maybe better integration to facebook or twitter

Maybe a profile of a prominent member each month ?

Maybe once and for all change title to Australasian photography :-)
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Functionality
    Mods
    even handedness and fair play
    I have been slapped a couple of time in the last 12 months and at no time did I think any of it unfair, and I would have posted differently with more careful consideration before posting. live and learn
    People
    I disagree with kiwi on the banning of subjects, particularly as there is an off topic forum. the moderators have proved over and over again that they can and do police these things well and fairly. Having said that, I have proved to be insensative and slapped for it already, so perhaps I am not the best person to have an opinion on that.
    Live chat?
    Interviews with celeb togs (similar to excellent profile suggestion but perhaps with audio or prior notice and a submit a question option for members)

Most importantly, even if absolutely nothing changed, this is my most visited site outside of my email and great job to the whole behind the scene team. This is a great place to vist and at no cost beyond responsible membership, it is a huge asset to the Aussie (perhaps even Australasian ) photographer community. Long may you prosper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Best site that I have found by far. Great mods. Great layout. Great members.

I have an idea. How about this ? Each week on a set day there is a random draw of a member. He or She is notified by private, and given a letter of the alphabet. Starting at A, so on. The member must first acknowledge the notice and then before the week is up, post a photograph that is associated with the letter they are given.
    Example: I am given the letter "A". I post a photo, that I have taken, of an aardvark. The following week the next letter is B and so on. Just a thought. What do the masses think ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best forum ever, and a model of continuous improvement from the first day I joined. I love the little surprises that you guys drop in, unheralded, that make the user experience so much better. I can think of 3 right off the top of my head:

1. Adding the AP Extras links to the home page saves me 3 clicks every entry.

2. Adding the Permission to Edit parameter so people know when it's ok to play with someone else's images.

3. And one I'm sure many haven't spotted yet BUT, adding a notification to the first screen in the competitions threads to notify if you have already cast your vote! Love it!

I vote in every competition, if I can, and that saves me from remembering if I've already voted for that one or having to check the images to see if I recognise them as part of a comp I've already voted on. Like I said its the little things.

"The biggest improvements in product quality don't come with the huge advance of a single brilliant idea but instead from lots of little incremental improvements made over time that eventually add up" (sic). I don't know who said it - someone involved with quality assurance in business - but it is very apt here IMHO. Well done to Rick, Kym and the team!
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 | D7000 | Nikkor AF-S 18-55 DX 1:3.5-5.6G | Nikkor AF-S 55-300 DX 1:4.5-5.6 G ED | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...
    My Flickr images ...

I am older than I look. peterb666's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its brilliant, thanks to Rick and all the crew who keep it that way.

The AP site has created a wonderful community and I have met such a lovely bunch from the meets that have been organised through these pages.

Without doubt, both my photography and wellbeing has improved do to AP.

Cheers

PeterB666

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I joined about a month ago..never been a photographer, never had much to do with computers and never been part of a forum. I have found this site to be a wealth of information on just about every facet of photography. I have learned so much in one month!! If I want to find ANYTHING, this is where I come .
    BUT..the thing that has astonished me is the freely given advice from such experienced people. I have had help with improving my photos, offers of equipment and even 3 photoshop tutorials made for me to improve one photo, so thank you to all the people out there who have taken the time to help me.
    I would like to say a huge thank you to Rick and the mods for making this such a great site
    D610 and D90 with a 16-35mm f/4,a 70-200mm f/4 ,a 300mm f/4 +TC11 convertor, 18-200mmDX and 85mm micro Dx.

Sally...CC always appreciated

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/salnel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think is a great site, but perhaps a bit over-moderated at times.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picking up on a few of the thoughts... my 2.2 cents worth...

1. Live chat - never !! (Its been asked for in the past and got a resounding no from the whole team - it's a moderation nightmare)

2. Facebook hook in - as some may know this feature exists in our forum software - and its turned off - what does it do for AP??

3. The letter photo idea - Member challenges are there for that, go for it

4. Australasian - nah, just let NZ become the 8th state

5. Incremental improvement - thanks!
    We listen to ideas, complaints and PMs - sometimes people ask a question and that gives us an idea of how to do it better,
    that's how the voting one came about (a member PMd asking how could he tell that he'd voted, your vote is bold/italic on the poll, but the status is easier)

6. Killing all 'political' threads - sometimes we think that's a great idea

7. Interviews with 'famous' 'togs? interesting!

8. Over moderation? That has been a regular criticism. BUT! AP is safe from personal attack as a result, which is a huge plus. We generally don't get the rubbish that happens elsewhere.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where I've seen facebook hook in useful is to allow members to use a common profile, andalso connect thru to friends. I think also to choose to publish a post to fb would save time currently for those that post pics to both places. Not a biggie but useful.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering that the site is fairly strictly moderated, I don't see a problem with letting people talk about whatever they want to. After all it's not just a technical photographic site but has become something of a community. I guess you have to watch political threads quite closely, but the majority of members will chat away quite courteously.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been a great year on AP for me as I have been a member for almost a year joining in mid- December last year.
    I have learnt so much from the Members here and especially from all the info on the Forums
    I would like to Thank Rick for the Help I got a few weeks back when I could not get on to AP
    Also many Thanks to Kym and all the other Mods who spend their time making sure AP runs smoothly Everyone

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to thank AP for the oppertunity to be able to meet so many unreal people. Most that have become really good friends. The meetups we have are always enjoyable. Sometmes I go for the social part. heehee!!!
    The site itself has always been an enjoyable past time. Showing my photos and viewing others. How everything is run, I can't complain. It's all good!!!!!
    Well done AP.
    Merry Christmas to you all as well...xxx
    Thanks for looking....Cheers,
    Julie-Anne / Julie / Jules / Julesy / JAS

MY ..... MY BLOG..... Feel free to look.
    Canon 40D / 24-105mm L IS / 70-200mm L IS / 75-300mm / 50mm 1.8 / Sigma 10-20mm / Manfrotto tripod / Bits and pieces to fill the bag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I give you permission (r.e. point #7) to interview me, Kym
    Craig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest I don't particularly like forums, it is too easy to misinterpret and be misinterpreted no matter how many smileys you put in your post BUT I keep returning to this one for several reasons.
    The NTP section is fantastic and when I first joined I spent days/weeks reading it all and doing the challenges and I know that I wouldn't have learnt in that time span what I did without it.
    I think the competition setup is great and is miles ahead of other forums I have visited.
    I love the member challenges because over the last 6 months they have forced me to take out my camera and look at everything around me as a potential photograph and it is this that has also helped improve my photography (well I think I have improved ).
    Finally, the members on here are generally very friendly and helpful and the fact that they are willing to offer advice to those less experienced help make this place worth being a member of. Rick and the mods have done a great job making this forum what it is which is very much appreciated
    Tania
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only been a member for the past few days so still getting to know my way around so I can't comment too much on the site, but one thing is that when I log out I do not need another window asking me 'do I really want to log out'. I know this is more programming thingy. Just minor annoyance.
    Hope everyone has a happy christmas and a great New Year.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Tanz - The misinterpretation issue applies to any written form (forums, blogs, emails etc). We try to make AP as safe as possible via good moderation. Thanks for the comment re: competitions.

@Hursty - that's a function of the vBulletin system. Most of us (unless using a public PC) don't bother logging out as such.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a shame the buy/sell forum has effectively gone. Although I never did use it when it was around I felt it was a very useful aspect of the forum that now no longer exists. Cameramarket is not a replacement, it's not the same thing.

JJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am only new to this Forum and love it as most have said "keep up the good work" Only problem I am having is entering some areas, with a message coming up that I am not authorized to enter.
    Merry Christmas to all Members

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast