Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Morcombe eGuide to Birds of Australia for iPhone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michael Morcombe eGuide to Birds of Australia for iPhone

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I thought some of the birders (if they don't already know about it) might be interested in the Australian Birds app for iPhone. I found it while searching for recordings of bird calls and, although a bit pricey, it seems to have good info and includes bird calls, usually several for each species.

Does anyone else use it and, if so, what do you think of it? Have you found it useful? I can't see it completely replacing my field guide, but it would be the guide that's always with me, at least.
    Michaela

Comments and critique always welcome and appreciated.

My photos on Flickr
    Canon 5D Mk III | 7D | Assorted Canon Lenses

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went ahead and got it yesterday and after a quick look through I'm very happy with it - it's packed full of information. You can even do an "it looks like a ... " search if you need an ID, which I can see coming in very useful for someone like me! I love the bird calls, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought it too, keep leaving my book at home. There is a lot to be said for having it on the iPhone, worth it if only for the bird calls, over 1800 come with the app.
    Layout and Ux (user experience) is quite slick too, even though it says that Superb Fairy-wrens don't usually appear in SE Qld! "Smart Search" is a little like Birds in the Backyard website and seems quite powerful; tip: I'd leave your location as Australia.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just got a copy as well, Went out on the deck and played the superb fairy wren sound, and almost instantly had the local wren family over for an inquisitive look see. Might have to get the camera out if it stops drizzling here. Very well laid out application.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks heaps for sharing this, Michaela!!!! I will buy it straight away!!! Would be great for when I'm out and need(want) to describe a bird for someone. No one I know will ever bring up the subject again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a side note. Please use playback with caution

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been hanging out for something like this for ages! Even thought about producing one myself. I think I might splurge and treat myself to a copy
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, you guys have me sold.

Off to download it now.

Back to Basics
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds like a really useful app for someone who doesn't know the difference between a seagull and a pigeon (well, barely!).

All I need now is a phone to put it on! (mine's very 'low-tech' compared to the iphone!)
    Cheryl B.

My Stuff... Canon 6D ~ Canon Speedlite 580EXII x 2 ~ Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro ~ Canon 50mm f1.8 ~ Canon 17-85mm f4-5.6 ~ Canon 16-35mm ~ Canon 70-200mm f2.8 ~ Photoshop CC ~ Lightroom Classic CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woohoo got mine last night..... Very cool

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jeez, why did I open this thread - I so want an iphone and hubby says I have to wait until next year (i tend to lose me phone ) - my plan runs out April I think - and then I can get what I want (in theory).

This sounds real interesting - thanks Michaela and good to hear all the comments re: the application.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is the most expensive app I have ever seen for the iPhone at $37, but I bought it... To be honest I do not consider myself a bird watcher, but I am enthralled to think I can use it to try a bit of spotting and identify the bird by species. I have taken dozens of flower shots and I wish I could identify them too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it's awesome.
    I found it after looking at Richard's sticky re field guides. When I googled the Morcombe field guide it was the first item to come up so I thought that was what Rchard was talking about. I don't have an iphone but a friend was interested and downloaded it. So I've had a good play. Love the bird calls. I will still buy the book tho' and if I ever update my phone or buy an iPad I'll buy the app.
    The Impressionists hoped to........" Capture the transient effect of light and colour"........ I wish I could!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess I will have to wait,
    Just looked at the site and he says that the version for Android should be available early 2011
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robertmarkbram View Post
    It is the most expensive app I have ever seen for the iPhone at $37
    I know of at least one app, for GPS navigation, that's quite a bit more expensive at $89.99!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm grabbing this now. Since Harvey Norman has a 2 x $20 iTunes card for $30 this week until 24/12, it's actually going to cost sliightly less than the $36.99 price
    AKA Andrew P.
    Gear: Nikon D7100, Nikon D90, Nikon 18-105mm VR, Nikon 70-300mm VR, Sigma 150-500mm APO DG OS, , Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, Tamron 90mm Macro Di, SB400 speedlight, SB700 speedlight, Nikon DR-6, Panasonic FH20, and all sorts of stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CAn;t wait

I am waiting for this to come out for Android phones or tablets. Can't wait.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure just when it became available, BUT this IS now available for Android, find it on the Market, bought my copy yesterday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast