User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice for shooting in a basketball stadium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While the AF50/1.8 is cheap, really 50mm is going to be pretty short. If you can stretch the budget a bit more, consider the AF85/1.8 which is around $325 from the USA and it will provide more versatility for sports.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Wayne..I have learnt a lot today..will look at the lens and more than likely add it to my wish list
    D610 and D90 with a 16-35mm f/4,a 70-200mm f/4 ,a 300mm f/4 +TC11 convertor, 18-200mmDX and 85mm micro Dx.

Sally...CC always appreciated

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/salnel

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing to think about is hiring a lens for a night to get a particular shot. Some good camera shops will have a fleet of hire lenses you can grab for a period of time. It's a lot cheaper than buying an expensive lens, but it may still be around the same price as buying a cheap 50mm lens.
    The d90 will drive all autofocus lenses just fine so the 50 f1.8 will be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got some shots you were happy with Salnel, my offer still stands if you ever want to try the speed light, just send me a PM.

Keep trying and experimenting. It's a pretty tough situation to take photos in.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Wolfman..I found I got relatively reasonable shots when I waited for the action to come to me and shot from one end (I was sitting right in front of the key). At the level Mike plays, I will never be fast enough to keep up with the game, so I think I will get the 50 f1/8. I don't have any prime lenses yet so I think this will be a good start for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to thank everyone in this thread - basketball is one of the things I hope to be photographing, and I have the D90 also. I figured I was going to need a faster lens, and there is some great guidance here Looking forward to comparing shots at some stage Sally!

Cheers
    Lizzy

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lizzy,
    Glad you were following this..everyone was brilliant..best thing about this site is the help,advice and encouragement that you get..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12