Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for shooting in a basketball stadium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice for shooting in a basketball stadium

I would like to be able to take some photos of my son playing basketball. I have a Nikon d90 and an 18-200mm lens. Could anyone advise me as to what settings I need to be able to get a half way decent shot of him in a stadium with not so wonderful light?
    I have spent years watching him play and have never been able to get a photo of him..This is the only lens I have (just got it). Do I have any chance with it or do I just watch him play?
    I don't know if this is necessary info but he plays at a very high level and the court speed is very quick.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    D610 and D90 with a 16-35mm f/4,a 70-200mm f/4 ,a 300mm f/4 +TC11 convertor, 18-200mmDX and 85mm micro Dx.

Sally...CC always appreciated

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/salnel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No chance if you don't use flash or he's just standing there still shooting or something, I dont think your lens will be fast enough to freeze action, but there is zero harm trying still posed shots, even panning

But to give you an idea last time I did basketball in a cruddy stadium I was shooting at iso 10,600' f/2.8 and 1/400s

Id think about borrowing or buying a 50 1.8
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a feeling you were going to say something like that,Darren! No hope of another lens unfortunately but I can try for foul shots etc when he isn't moving so fast. Oh well, like you said..there's no harm in trying!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Kiwi, we have woeful lighting out here for the local indoor stadium, and I have yet to have a go at strobing it, but the 18-200 has no chance unless lighting is very good. The widest f/stop is 1:3.5?

Last time I tried, I used 50/1.8 and ISO 6400 on FX which was just usable, I used the D700 instead of the D3 which would have been better in hindsight. Get a 50/1.4 or better 85/1.4 but with a D90, you will still be struggling on any motion shots. Strobing the place is your best bet where light is crap, but it isn't always possible.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks,Wayne.. pardon my ignorance, but what is strobing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look here, a good explanation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfcqzv7SGT4

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link but not gonna happen Even if i can't get good shots of Mike, at least I now know what strobing is!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Salnel,

If you can get your hands on a flash, you should be able to get some nice shots of your son. Depending on the court and time of day, there may be a reasonable amount of light. i.e. earlier in the night. Is it a special game you are trying to get a photo of? if so when is it? Where is he playing?

I'm also from Geelong, if i'm not using my flash (Nikon SB800) you are welcome to borrow it for a day/night.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ben, No it's not a special game. Mike plays CB mens with corio bay and the season has only just started. I might be ok as it is a day game and Wayne gave me some great tips. I will see how I go on Sunday..Thanks so much for the offer..I might take you up on it if the pics are a disaster
    I have a speedlight on my Christmas list
    Thanks again for your very kind offer..I will let you know how I go..in the not for Critique area I think!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question is.. Would a speed light be allowed to be used inside the stadium? Would the players appreciate some person hitting them with a blinding light in the middle of a crucial shot? I think not.
    I would be looking at a 50mm f1.8 with a high ISO, and sitting as close to the front as possible. Unless you want to spend megabucks on a lens.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually they are so intent on playing that they dont even notice the flash

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I will check it all out on Sunday..see what other people are using as well. I know Mike doesn't notice anything off court when he is playing but not sure about the rest of the guys! One good thing, I can sit so that I am almost on the court so that should help. Strangely enough, a camera house catalogue arrived this am..the first lens advertised was an AF 50mm f/1.8 lens I am very new to photography..is this the lens you are talking about?
    Thanks all for your advice..it is much appreciated!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yip, that's the one, you can usually get one for less than $150

Not sure but do non afs lenses autofocus on the d90?

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Sally

While all the above replies are useful in their way - and pointing to the future (maybe), - you have asked for advice ...

A year or so back I shot one of the boys doing his indoor soccor at a not very exciting venue here in Canberra
    I was unsure as to how-what & etc, so
    1- set ISO to 800
    2- set Aperture to f4
    3- set burst to hi-speed

and shot several hundred images - with about a 20% success rate for good, clear images suitable for the family album

Hope this helps a bit ...
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Phil..that I can try! I don't expect any of these images to be on the cover of the NBL magazines..just in the family album. As I said, Mike has been playing for years and the only photo I have was one taken by the newspaper at a tournament in NSW!

Thanks Kiwi- I am not sure if the d90 works on non af lenses.(are they a bit cheaper??). I did do some research on the net and will probably be adding one to my wish list (which is growing daily) At least this one is affordable, unlike the macro lens I am currently saving for!

I will say one thing tho..this is the most amazing site..I have only posted 2 questions and have had so much help and advice from so many people..one day I hope I will be able to help other newbies too.
    The only thing I have been able to offer so far is to let people know that you can view the 12 apostles again..the viewing platforms are back in business
    Merry Christmas, everyone and I will let you know how I went.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sally, if you haven't already done it might be worth reading the sport tips 'sticky' thread in the Sport and Action forum.

A couple of settings to consider [I'm not familiar with the D90 but I think these operate similarly to the D300]:-
    - set your autofocus mode to AF-C (continuous) which lets the camera focus on moving subjects
    - set your AF Area mode to "Dynamic" which uses additional focus points around your selected focus point if the subject moves quickly out of your selected focus point

Your ISO will probably need to be at 3200 to get a usable shutter speed, but try some shots at varying ISO settings (maybe including H1.0 - I think that's what it's called) so you can compare the results for next time.

There's other stuff, but you've probably got enough to get you started. Just take lots of shots and have fun.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Phil..I will put all this info together and see what happens tomorrow. Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the Stadiums for light - my son plays in a few different stadiums and some are better than others for light. Usually I shot at 1600 ISO, wide open F stop depending on lens, center point focus with high speed burst mode. This usually gives me a shutter speed of 1:400 to 1:1000 sec. I have found that you need a (for a Canon) Ring USM lens, nothing else keeps up focusing with the speed of the game. Nikon I'm guessing a HSM focus system. I got an older 28-105mm F3.5/4.5 USM lens and find on the crop camera that this is a pretty well ideal zoom from sitting on the sideline bench. I have tried the 50mm F1.8 but too slow to focus. My 200mm F2.8 prime is great but too limiting. Looking at a 85mm F1.8 lens - reckon as a prime, that may be pretty well ideal.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Russell..I will be very interested to see what happens..nothing like an experiment

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok ..been there, done that! I did struggle with my lens but I got a few reasonable shots but purely for my own use. To be more successful, I would certainly need a faster lens but, at least I can identify him on the court which is more than I have ever done before I think I will look at the 50 f/1.8, especially as it is not too expensive or is there something better?
    There were a couple of people using speedlights and I don't think the guys even noticed! So maybe that combo will help in the future..
    I do want to thank everyone for their help, advice and offers of equipement..it has been much appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast