User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Lighting set up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lighting set up

I am wanting to get some type of strobe of continuous lighting. I've seen kits you can buy but I have no idea what is decent.

As a single mum I'm limited on funds, can't really spend more than $500.

I have a backdrop and stand already. so i'm really after some sort of lighting.

I'll be using it for indoor portrait sessions.

Anything you can recommend?

TIA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get some good results a speed light and brolly or soft box. I am not sure about the consistency of output with the cheaper lighting kits....others may have more experience with them.
    Cheers, Lani.
    Bodies: Nikon D700, D300 Primes: Nikon 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4G, 105mm VR 2.8, 300mm f4. Zooms: Nikon 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200VR II 2.8, Sigma 10-20mm Processing: Photoshop CS5 extended, LR 3.2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both studio lights and off camera flash - to be honest I am finding it easier with the studio lights.... I brought the basic kit from protog, includes a 180w flash, stand and brolly. Will only set you back $150 each. I've found in my setup I only need to use 1/4 power - so theres plenty of power left should I need more light. I haven't done alot with them at the moment a few quick tests, but I am more than happy with them!

I found the light output of my off camera flash units not enough, especially when diffused (but that could have been me too - not using them properly) I know you can get the results I want with off camera flash - I just couldn't .....
    Constructive Criticism always welcome - it's the only way to learn!
    A selection of my photo's can be seen here

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you, will have a look at the protog website

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could buy one of these softboxes (I just bought one and the quality is very good). Use a sync-cord to fire your existing SB-400 and you're away. Even using a Nikon sync. cord (SC-28 @ D-D Photographics) you're still out of it for under $200.

Here is a video on using a softbox and backgrounds. (Covers a lot in a short video).

Heck, for your budget you could buy an SB-600 (also off D-D Photographics) and still be under. Then you could use the SB-400 to fire through the softbox and the SB-600 to fire at the background.

Softbox - $62.99
    Sync. Cord - $113.00
    SB-600 - $317.00
    TOTAL - $492.99

This setup is probably only good if you're doing individual portraits though. (I wouldn't know, I'm not a portrait 'tog.)

EDIT: BLAST! I forgot you'd need another light stand for the softbox. That'll set you back another $50 + P&H from ############## blowing you're budget a bit. You may be able to find a cheaper light stand on eBay, remember you'll need at least 2 meters of height.
    Adam.

AGSPhotos.com

Using Nikon & PS CS5.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i also have a tumax (dsl880afz-ni (it was given to me)) speedlight, but i prefer the sb400 over it. I would love to get the sb600 or even the sb800, but I wont be able to do so until the new year .

The video was fantastic, and extremely helpful. Thank you.

hmm... brolly or softbox.... for some reason i'm leaning towards a softbox

this might seem like a serious dumb question (but stobe lighting etc, is all new to me), but will i also need a sync cord for this type of set up (link i posted)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For $400 ish, you can get and SB-900 and with the change from $500, get an umbrella & stand. SB-900 is a killer strobe.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after doing some more research i think an umbrella will suit my needs better.

thank you to all those that have replied, it has been a wonderful help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would personally go the full manual strobist way

3x Yongnuo RF602 receivers and trigger at under $80
    3x Yongnuo YN560 flash with roughly same guide number/power as SB900 and Canon 580EXII at 1/1 for around $80 each on ebay or online sellers

thats only just over $300, spend another 200 on a few light stands and brollies etc - and you have a killer set up for shooting pretty much anything

its also a great learning curve knowing how to adjust flash ratios and camera settings when shooting on manual, instead of relying on TTL all the time.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it necessary to have 3?

and is there a much of a diff between the yn465 and hte yn560?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with JM Tran, get the cheaper speedlights and triggers, learn heaps and then save lots and buy quality studio ligthing. I bought cheap studio lighting and now use it as props or to hang clothes on ( unplugged of course). I have used the Yongnuos and they work well ( I recently spent the kids inheritence on way too much Nikon gear..love it). Definitly get three speedlights, it gives you so much more scope. Most of all, have fun.