User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Trip to India in December/January Recommendations, Advice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trip to India in December/January Recommendations, Advice?

Hi, my wife and I are taking a tour to India end of December for 3 weeks. looking for advice, recommendations on security, cultural sensitivities etc.. taking GH1, GF1 and 7-14mm, 14-45mm, 20mm, 100-300mm and 14-140mm.

Side trip at the start to New Delhi, Agra and the Taj Mahal - Best time of day? AM, PM, sunrise etc? Vantage point? What and where not to etc...

Tour then heads to Hyderabad and Bangalore, Mysore, Nagarhole, Ooty, Coonoor, Cochin, Alleppey, Marari Beach for a food, fabrics and spices tour....

Any experiences, recommendations based on personal knowledge would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Phil
    These Photographers are Crazy!
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Panasonic Lumix LX7, Lumix GH3, Sony SLT A77, Sony Lenses, SonyMetz Flashes, CZ Lenses etc.

Gallery: http://matix.zenfolio.com

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The search feature on AP could be your friend: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ght=india+trip
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick, will do some more searching on the subject.

Phil

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went to India about 4 years ago. Started in New Delhi, then Rajasthan, Agra/Taj Mahal, back to Delhi and home.

If you haven't been before, it is a total shock. Nothing can prepare you.

In Delhi, you will be picked as a newcomer, and seen as an easy target - just say no, and ignore pretty much everyone's advice, even when it seems sensible. (We were advised not to go "that way" - there "was a demonstration and the police and army were out". This turned out to be a total ruse to get us to go to a "friend's" shop, which was in the opposite way.) Ignore beggars. It is hard, they are everywhere, but to do otherwise invites too much attention.

We had no problems with personal safety, although I wasn't carrying quite as much camera gear as you are planning to.

Taj Mahal - best time of day? When you can get in. It is mind blowing. However, the major monuments in most places are well worth it - Red Fort in Delhi, Hanuman's tomb etc. If you can, get to Jaipur and Fatehpur Sikri.

We were on an organised trip (horseriding and sightseeing), and the tour company arranged most things for us - such as Taj Mahal visits, guides, car and driver, the "preferred" carpet shop etc.

The main cultural sensitivity seemed to be taking our shoes off before going into some temples and mosques. (Remember that the Taj Mahal is a muslim tomb, and Delhi has a significant muslim population and heritage.) There were places where photography was not allowed, but this was made pretty clear. Also, some people (such as snake charmers) expect a tip if you are photographing them.

Bone up on your cricket - you will be asked. ("Where you from?" "Australia" "Ahh.. Ricky Ponting Shane Warne" was a common conversation.)

In our experience, it was impossible to get a good cup of coffee, even in high-end hotels - don't even try. (To prepare yourself, make a cup of coffee and add two teaspoons of salt. It tastes the same - most water around Delhi and Rajasthan is bore water and heavily mineralised.)

We had a great time there and thoroughly enjoyed it. I expect you will too.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4