User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  31
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amateur wedding 'tog got in the way!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im wondering how many of us would rock up to a wedding where we are the guest with a 70-200. I dont think i would really. Plus, I really hate people behind me shooting over my shoulder so to speak, Its always distracting to the people posing in front of me.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Im wondering how many of us would rock up to a wedding where we are the guest with a 70-200. I dont think i would really.
    Nor would I. As much fun as photography is, it gets trumped by free beer .

The impression I got is that he wasn't a wedding guest but a "brother of a friend" who was there specifically to shoot. If that's the case I think I'd find it disconcerting - a bit different than some of the guests firing off a few shots of their own.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive taken my 70-200 to a friends wedding but only because the asked me to take bakground shots, guests etc.

Adrian Fischer
    Brisbane, Australia

Gear: Nikon D80, D300, Nikon 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 105mm f2.5, 18-200 VR, 70-200 VR, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8, Sigma 50-500, Tonkina 12-24 f4, SB-600, various YongNuo Strobes, various umbrellas, 6 x 300w studio flashes, various softboxes, reflectors, stands, transmitters and receivers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im wondering how many of us would rock up to a wedding where we are the guest with a 70-200. I dont think i would really. Plus, I really hate people behind me shooting over my shoulder so to speak, Its always distracting to the people posing in front of me.
    that's interesting - our friends know that we are into our photography and some have even asked us if we would bring our gear along for "free" shots. I've stopped doing it but certainly used to in the past but always stayed right out of the way of the photographers.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, lol, i probably couldnt not either truth be told, i think id be very discreet though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been invited and attended five weddings in the last 12 months, and in that time, even though I have my own gear, even though two of the people suggested I should bring my gear, I didnt. I enjoyed the celebration and I enjoyed sharing the event with others.

I also have a white car I could have added white ribbons on it.

I also have a barbeque I could have brought along.

I also have some wines and beer - most of them probably better than I was drinking.

Moral of this story is when it comes to these things, my personal view is that if you're a guest at a wedding - enjoy your time there I'll leave all my other interests at home.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, valid, but what if taking photos is thing that you enjoyed doing at a wedding, I'm guessing that's he main reason people take their gear along.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, valid, but what if taking photos is thing that you enjoyed doing at a wedding, I'm guessing that's he main reason people take their gear along.
    yep that's why I initially brought the gear along - but then facebook became viral!!!

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
    Moral of this story is when it comes to these things, my personal view is that if you're a guest at a wedding - enjoy your time there I'll leave all my other interests at home.
    I hear you, William, but sometimes that's politically not possible. I went to my niece's wedding and was encouraged to take my camera as "insurance" - reason being that a friend of the groom (who worked on contract to Nikon) was the "official" photographer and no-one was really sure of his status or capabilities. I'm still not sure as I haven't seen any of his work yet, but suffice it to say a few times I noted from my shots that he had his back to the key action! (only my judgement of course).

When I got there I found there were about FIVE sets of cameras - my wife labelled them the paparazzi - including a videographer and I was low man on the totem pole! What could I do? First thing I did was approach the REAL official photographer, introduced myself, explained my capacity and promised to do my very best to stay out of his way. I wanted him to tell me any time I failed in that endeavour. By the end of the night he was laughing and chatting with me and pretty much expressing his frustration at how difficult it made his job when these others took control of events. As an employee he didn't feel he could "order" them out of his shots so he just made the best of things. A very professional attitude in my humble opinion. I sure hope he got the shots HE wanted to offer as representative of his talent.

I'm happy with the shots I took, given that I had no directorial control and didn't feel comfortable lurking over the shoulders of 4 other 'togs, including the pro. I just think there are times when good intentions or poor planning make such clashes inevitable. In my case I was trying to help my niece out and make sure nothing got "missed" on the day. If I'd known the Pro was going to be there I would have left the camera at home and enjoyed the event. As it was I spent too much time trying to make sure I kept faith with my niece on her day and not enough enjoying it myself.

Bottom line: I'm not disagreeing with your stance. After all, you would have far more at risk than I in the same circumstances. I just think that sometimes train wrecks happen no matter what the intentions. When it's family the choices often disappear.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok... i just gotta jump in here. Seriously if I had seen that guy at a wedding I was shooting then I would have been on him like seagulls on chips. Nothing worse than me bringing up group shots on my screen when I get home and half the eyes are on another camera. DSLR with a 50mm lens on it out the way... no problems but don't be distracting anyone while I'm shooting let alone getting in the shots.

Look at it this way.

Would you turn up at a wedding with a hot-rod and transport a few of the bridal party when they had hired limos... NO!

Would you turn up with a BBQ and whip up a few chops and sausages with the caterers just because you enjoy it... NO!

Would you jump up and say a few words in the church next to the minister just because you know the bible back to front and feel the need.... NO!

Would you bake a wedding cake and slap it down next to their wedding cake... NO!

Then why the hell would you interfere with a paid professional photographer on such an important day as a wedding day just because you have a passion for photography??????? If you were that good you would be doing the gig for them instead of hiring a professional.

Eeeeeerks me no end when I set up a creative composition that I spend countless hours perfecting and someone snaps it over my shoulder without me knowing and to make things worse they have shot home, printed it and put it on the bridal table before I have even arrived.

Seriously guys... shoot all you want at a wedding but be so inconspicuous that no one even notices you. It's simply the right and respectful thing to do.

I don't know what most of you do for a living but try to look at it as someone interfering with your job that thinks it's a given.

Hope that all makes sense and also make sure it's in your contract like it is in mine that amateur\unpaid photographers may only take photos after the hired professional has finished and invites them in.
    www.paulmacphotography.com

If it wasn't for physics and law enforcement I'd be un-stoppable!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, all makes perfect common sense, assuming that you have common sense, which as usual often goes missing in this sort of thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is frustrating when peole get in the way.... I've had it done to me. I was asked to take some photos for a friends wedding (this was before I actually realised that wedding photos should be left to wedding photographers! LOL) But anyway, they had asked me, I said yes. (Unpaid). But every time I set up a shot I had the family & friends jumping directly in front of me! Like RIGHT in front of me! I was literally at the point of yelling at people to move, even the bride and groom were yelling 'Guys please MOVE so Melissa can take the photos!' I said I dont mind them taking some photos after I do, but please let me take the photos and THEN you can step in! So so frustrating! I used a 50mm lens for most photos. I think because people had non-SLR camera's that appeared bigger than mine they thought they had more right to be there. (Just like having a 12MP P&S is better than a 8MP 5Dmk2 with a $3000 lens just because it has more MP's. LOL)

But here's another side...

At a friends wedding, they had hired a professional photographer (paid several thousands $$).
    I was asked to take some pics of the guys getting ready as the pro couldn't make it there, he was just shooting the girls prep and straight to the ceremony.

The bride & groom told him about me, said I'm just starting out and have accepted doing the guys prep photos, and said they wanted me to tag along for the locations pics and get a little practice in. (I assured the couple I understand he's the pro and woud not get in the way, I have full respect for the professional on the day.)

Anyway, took the boys prep photos, got to the ceremony, introduced myself to the pro and assured him I would not get in his way, that I'm NOT a wedding photographer, I was just doing this because the bride & groom had asked. I remained seated throughout the whole ceremony so I did get in the way of the most important photos of the day, I just took a few snaps from my seat just like the other guests did, but didn't worry too much as that's what the pro is there for.

For the location photos I hopped out of the bus (all the wedding party & imediate family travelled in the bus), I took a few candids of everyone just walking around before the photographer arrived. When he did arrive I was asked if I could help with his lighting/reflectors, yep no worries. But i was told to leave my camera in his car. I said it's ok, I'll just swing it around to my back, it wont get in the way of me helping, but he insisted I leave it behind. Disapointing as all the other people there had their cameras out snapping away and I was 'not allowed'. So we spent a couple hours out there, me lugging his gear around, so I got no photos at all. But no worries, again, he's getting paid for it, not me.
    The next day was a trash the dress session with the bride... again, the bride had arranged with the photographer that she wants me there to take some photos too. When I arrived, the tog said to leave my camera behind and just put my lens on his camera. I said ok, I'll just grab my CF card. He said no, use his. Hmm right. So now I'm taking photos for him! (In between holding his reflectors and gear again.)

Anyway, after the photographers photos came back, the couple were really disapointed. His bride prep photos missed some of the girls, and didn't really get anything special. Just a few posed photos (as in standing there against a wall... not the helping bride get ready or anything like that). They were thrilled with my groom prep photos thankfully! I had never done anything like that before myself so it was new to me.

The ceremony photos were very average too, missed some of the most important shots, didn't get all the girls walking down etc. I managed to get better images from my seat, including the girls walking down, though I missed out on things too, but like I said, I wasnt trying to be a 'photographer', I was a guest and just enjoyed the ceremony. I feel bad now that I didn't get up and take more photos for her.

Then the location photos, only a handful turned out ok, the rest were very average. Not to say I could have done any better as the light was really harsh and everyone was hot and tired, plus it was a huge bridal party so organising everyone was not the easiest.... but who knows. It would have been nice to at least take a couple.

The trash the dress pics.. the bride sent me the disk and we worked out who's photos were who's (yay for exif data. LOL) All her faves were the ones I took. Plus I got some after shots with the dress hanging on the line, her 'trashed' slippers etc. which the tog missed as he left.

Anyway, the moral of the story is now I tried to do right thing by the paid professional and keep out of his way, did as he asked, helped him when he asked, leaving my camera behind when he asked, helping lug his gear around, and now feel guilty that the couple were disapointed in their professional shots and liked mine more. I should have just been like any other guest and just taken the photos as I pleased. I may have had a 'bigger camera' than most guests, but I was still a guest, the only guest who wasn't 'allowed' to take photos.

To me, this situation is more of a case of the pro not wanting to be 'outdone'. (Again, I dont claim to be a wedding photographer, or a prfessional photographer at all, he hadn't even SEEN my photos, and I expressed that I am not there to get in his way, just snap a few photos for myself as well as the ones the bride & groom had requested.)

Anyway, not trying to take over your post, I totally get what you are saying, and if he was getting in the way, that's just plain rude. He should have been respecting the bride & grooms requests, AND the fact they had paid someone to take the photos. But yeah, just another side.

Sorry, that post was a bit long winded.
    **Canon EOS 40D *** **Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM**Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L***Canon 580EX Speedlight**

I'm here to learn, honest critique welcome on my photos unless otherwise stated.
    >>>>www.melissamillerphotography.com.au <<<<

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add yet another story, another friends wedding, they hired a pro, I did take my camera along (my husband and daugter, who was only 3 at the time, were both in the wedding party! Couldn't NOT take my camera! LOL).
    However I did chat to the tog while we were there (as I was 'behind the scenes' too to help my daughter get ready). He didn't mind at all with me there, we quite often had a little friendly photography related chat. This was LONG before I started taking photos for anyone else mind you.
    ANyway, even back then I didn't 'steal' his shots. He set them up and I just stood back and watched. I did get a few of my own in between. But after the ceremony when the tog was doing the usual shots with the new couple & their guests, he would set up, take the photos, and then say "Anyone else like to take some phtoos, now's your chance'. He allowed all the guests to come and tkae photos before moving to the next set up, and he'd do the same again. He was a really nice guy and I think everyone appreciated him inviting the guests to take some photos for themselves.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Just to add yet another story....
    And that's how it should be. Priority to the pro and a bit of politeness both ways, with an opportunity for the guests. +/+

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems I have spiked some interesting discussion. I'm glad others can see my point of view on this issue. Put it this way, there was a few other people there with dSLR's. Most had the kit lenses, one had a nice fisheye, and there were numerous point n shoots. Did they bother me? No. They didn't get in the way, and they were very discreet. The fella with the fisheye came and had a friendly chat with me during the reception when he would tell I wasn't busy, whereas the guy with the 70-200 interrupted me quickly swapping lenses in between some key scenes, to apologise for getting in the way!
    Paul Mac put it clearly in perspective. If you're going to do it, do it quietly and out of the way, with a small, nondescript lens. I know a pro level lens makes nobody a pro, but it makes you LOOK like a pro to all the guests.
    Anywho, what's done is done. I'm confident I got a good mix of shots regardless of any distractions, and will certainly keep an eye out for potential issues arising in future
    Canon stuff 5Dmk1 w/ 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 5Dmk1 w/70-200f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 macro, 50mm f1.4, 580exII
    Alienbees B800, Lumopro 160, Manfrotto 155XPROB w/ 498RC2, Lowepro ProRunner X450AW
    Phew!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at a wedding recently, and the experience was very different to that outlined by some of you. The wedding was in Hong Kong, and my friend had invited people from around the world. His idea was that we would be there for about a week, and so he arranged some activities before and after the wedding. He had some friends who were professional photographers who took photos at the pre-wedding function (All Canon 5dMk2, including one set up as a video rig.)

At the wedding, another professional wedding photographer was employed - he actively encouraged people to take photos of the formal proceedings. He also arranged for most of the guests to pose with the bride and groom, and all those who did were given (free) copies of those photos before the end of the evening.

Photography (pro and amateur) was acknowledged to be part of the wedding, and the pro seemed to be comfortable that others would be taking photos, but also that there was value in giving something back to the guests.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wedding I was at took place in a pergola thingy so it was tight only really enough room for for one shooter .Couldn't get a fix from the grassy knoll . I take my longer lens so I dont have to stand so close to the pro. I'm thinking pro togs at weddings should have a standard uniform so everybody knows who is the pro and who are the guests. How would you all feel about wearing something like the shirts the Gridion refs wear. It's not like anybodies going to take your photo
    Last edited by pjs2; 29-11-2010 at 11:33pm. Reason: ingrish
    Peter
    Canon s3is, 2 x 50Ds, Canon 18-55is, Canon 55-250is, ef 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon Nifty Fifty f/1.8,
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8 ex dg os hsm, Sigma APO 150-500 f5-6.3 dg os hsm
    tripod, monopod, 4 didgeridoo's.
    Two million years of evolution and I'm still a Homo ergaster.
    ttp://www.flickr.com/photos/mustymustang/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjs2 View Post
    The wedding I was at took place in a pergola thingy so it was tight only really enough room for for one shooter .Couldn't get a fix from the grassy knoll . I take my longer lens so I dont have to stand so close to the pro. I'm thinking pro togs at weddings should have a standard uniform so everybody knows who is the pro and who are the guests. How would you all feel about wearing something like the shirts the Gridion refs wear. It's not like anybodies going to take your photo
    I'm thinking more along the lines of the Borat Mankini look..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMac View Post
    I'm thinking more along the lines of the Borat Mankini look..
    By the look of your eyes in your avatar you already have it on. Back to front

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedEx View Post
    I was employed to shoot my sisters wedding on the weekend.
    Just out of interest, what did you charge your sister to shoot her wedding??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast