User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Borders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Borders

I've noticed that with 99% of border techniques you build a border from your pictures outer edge inwards.
    Is there a way to do a border (any type...being a simple white border with drop shadow or artistic brush stroke border) that you can build out from the edge of your picture.
    I ask only because its silly spending time and effort lining up your photo for that perfect composition, and then having to factor in a border that will eat in an inch or so from your pictures edge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what's wrong with building a border edge outwards?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What software? In Photoshop it is easy to create a single shade/colour border:

* Open your photo
    * On the menu : Image > Canvas Size
    * Pick a colour using the 'canvas extension colour' box
    * Look at the current dimensions and make them bigger, so say your photo is 36cm wide and 24cm high, make it 36.5cm and 24.5cm to add a 0.5cm border right around.
    * Click OK
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your still having problems , have a look in the Tutorial Thread, I've posted a Tutorial on Framing and drop shadow using PS
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys....my problem was centered around the fact that i wanted a border bigger than my photo and not built in from my photos edge...i never thought to start with a canvas and simply make the canvas size larger than the photo by however big i wanted the border.....brain dead after too much work

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee, only after too much work? You're lucky. However, note that IF you do enlarge your border AND you want to keep the image dimensions constant, then use a percentage enlargement. Then your result will have the same dimensions as your original image, say 3:2 or 4:5 or 7:6, etc. The only thing is that your border will not be the same width horizontally and vertically. For low dimension ratios it is not very noticeable, but for 6:4 and 16:9 it will be.

(But who says you must have equal width borders anyway?)
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    William's tutorial is very good, your image will come out like this (minus the black frame, I added that with a second Canvas operation, as described by Rick, after the drop shadow steps):

Magical Marmaduke the Mystery Cat by Photography by Odille, on Flickr
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a filter in GIMP that creates a border without chewing into your image i.e. it adds the border to your image. You can manipulate the x and y border size and its colour. This method changes the image dimensions much the same as enlarging the canvas would.

I would have thought PS would have this capability too but since I haven't used it for years I wouldn't know any more (It was a copy of a friend's PS3 and I felt so guilty using pirated software that I gave it up after a couple of weeks!).
    Death is a once in a lifetime experience.

D70; 18-70 AF-S Nikkor; 70-210 AF Nikkor; SB-600; various filters to suit; Canon Ixux 85 iS; tripod and monopod.