Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New camera thoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New camera thoughts

I had decided to buy a new camera. My original aim was a D300s, but after reading the reviews of the D7000 I'm undecided. I know the D7000 is the replacement for the D90, but the prices are more in line with the D300s. From reading the reviews the D7000 sounds like it may even take better pictures. What I'm not sure about is the way the metering systems compare and the build quality difference. Anyone like to offer their thoughts on this, it would be appreciated. I would also be interested to hear how you guys that have bought the D7000 are finding it.
    Cheers
    Col

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Comparing models and features is hard. Cause no matter what you decide, within 18 months it will be superseded anyway. So my thoughts are get the one YOU want to get, and then make the most of it, and forget about the others ones you were considering. The D7000 is getting some mighty fine reviews, but the D300s is a damn good camera too. Glad it is you, and not me, making the model choice.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick. Superceeded in 18 months! A very real fact of life with technology these days. I guess that is one reason for not waiting for the latest release, as you would never end up buying anything

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Side by side. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...d7000&show=all

There are two 'togs at work with D300s - very good. The D7000 should be a bit lower cost. If i were buying Nikon I'd get the D7000 due to the new sensor
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my perspective, given I was in a similar situation.

I've been considering an upgrade for a while - and was considering the d300s. My concern was that it will be replaced "soon". When the d7000 was announced, my decision suddenly became easy. As I see it, the key differences (for me) are:

Sensor size - 16Mp vs 12Mp (d7000 better)
    Autofocus module - 39 points vs 51 points (d300s better)
    High ISO - general view seems to be the d7000 is better at high ISO - but either camera is good
    Remote unit - d7000 can use the ML3 infra-red remote. The d300s needs a "fancier" one (much more expensive if you want the genuine nikon)
    Video - d7000 has "better" video than the d300s (higher res/frame rate) but still not ideal.
    Age - d7000 is newest sensor tech - d300s is older.
    Price - d7000 is still slightly cheaper, but price will drop over next few months.
    Features - As far as I can tell, there are no significant operational features available on the d300s that are not on the d7000. (d7000 has liveview, high/low speed continuous shutter, quiet mode, mirror up, microfocus adjust, level indicator, top LCD, magnesium body, buttons and knobs galore.)

Overall, I had decided that when I was going to get a new camera, it had to be recently released, and a step up in technology. I think the d7000 achieves this. I think the replacement for the d300s (which should be next year) will be an absolute stunner, based on what has been done with the d7000. I am very happy with my choice - and I have it now rather than having to wait for a d300s replacement.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kym. There really isn't much of difference in price, about $35. from one Brisbane supplier and off the net the D300s can even be a little cheaper than the D7000.

Yes, the sensor seems to be an improvement over most of their range. I just wonder if the metering system will work as well and as fast as the D300s.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob. I didn't realise the D300s couldn't use the infra red remote. I already have one of these for my D60. How do you find the manual focus on the D7000? Do you get good feedback from it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if you are a sport shooter go the d300s, better af and I belv a stronger body and probably better weather proofing.....otherwise no brainer d7000
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colin, I haven't done much with manual focus, but the indicators are much better than the d40x (same as d60). The viewfinder is brighter, and larger. I have found the autofocus to be much better than the d40x (not hard!). BTW, I have not used a d300 or d300s.

Kiwi, I haven't tried sports, but I have tried with our horses galloping around the paddock - I'd say the AF is pretty good, and *may* give the d300s a run for its money. Not so sure about the stronger body - the d7000 is a pretty solid camera, and although there are some discussions about how far the metal frame extends, it does have a magnesium frame. Weather-proofing - the d300s will be better, but the d7000 is pretty good.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm still not sure which way I will go. The trouble with new models is sorting out the marketing hype from the reality. At this stage I'm leaning towards the D7000, I think my only real question now regards the speed and accuracy of the metering system. If the D7000 is comparable to the D300s in this I will go with the newer tech option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it will be very close based on the specs and initial reviews

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, now I need to go back and start research all over again. Own D90 and am tossing up between D700 or D7000. I'll also look at getting theNikon 70-200mm VR 2.8 lens. Plus DX vs FX. I'll use my camera everyday on weekends.
    Any advice is appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I f I had a D90 I wouldnt upgrade to D7000, I dont think that there's a significant advantage

There are a few reasons Id go FX though (DOF and perspective)

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'd be looking at a D700 too, if I had the D90. I was thinking of the D700 along with the other options, the killer for me was the extra $500 over the cost of the D300s and D7000. I could use that cash for a reasonable zoom. At the moment I only have the two lenses that came with my D60 and the 105 VR nikon micro.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Briegman, I don't think the d7000 is the right step from the d90 - there are not many changes: a few extra pixels and a newer AF module; and by all reports the d90 is a very good camera. (Another poster on the forum, Eberbachl, bought the d7000 as an upgrade to a d90, and is now selling it - he indicated that it was not a big improvement over the d90.) I upgraded from a d40x and Colin appears to be going from a d60 (which is almost the same) - there is a big change from our cameras, even if we went to a d90.

The d700 as an FX camera is a totally different beast, and not comparable at all to the d7000. I think you need to be very clear as to why you are changing - what doesn't the d90 do for you - and make sure the replacement solves those problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the post, it's good to hear another side of advice, other than that from the Treasurer! I guess you're right. I upgraded from D40 to D90 And now I suppose would like to go on up. Still need a bit more research. Cheers

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Briegman View Post
    Still need a bit more research. Cheers
    The research is doing my head in! It might just come down to a flip of the coin. It would be much easier if they were like cars and you go for a test ride

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer_rob View Post
    Briegman, I don't think the d7000 is the right step from the d90 - there are not many changes: a few extra pixels and a newer AF module; and by all reports the d90 is a very good camera. (Another poster on the forum, Eberbachl, bought the d7000 as an upgrade to a d90, and is now selling it - he indicated that it was not a big improvement over the d90.) I upgraded from a d40x and Colin appears to be going from a d60 (which is almost the same) - there is a big change from our cameras, even if we went to a d90.

The d700 as an FX camera is a totally different beast, and not comparable at all to the d7000. I think you need to be very clear as to why you are changing - what doesn't the d90 do for you - and make sure the replacement solves those problems.
    This is true... for the shooting I do, the D7000 is not much more camera than my D90.

Having said that, it is of course excellent (says alot about the D90 too ).

If I didn't have my D90, and was looking at the D7000 or the D300s I'd go for the D7000 in a heartbeat.

Please don't hesitate to provide me with CC! I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding any of my images. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you Colin. Research is killing me. I almost feel like I'm 6 again waiting for Xmas. Maybe a good thing. All my lenses are compatible FX. at this stage I'm going to hunt around now for a good priced D700, might look at Adorama with the Aussie dollar being do strong against the US$.
    I want it NOW. That's why I'm gonna wait at least another two weeks. In the meantime, more reading in Forums, that's the way to go. No sales pitch advise. Thanks guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded fom a D90 to the D7000.
    All things I missed from the D200 were there except the exposure bracketing, but I can do that manually and it's only an issue when light is tricky (unless you are into HDR).

eg. Matrix Metering with AI-S and earlier lenses

For instance a pre-AI (modified) Nikkor Micro Auto 55mm f3.5

100% crop....

OBZ_005920(001).NEF by ObesAu, on Flickr
    Unedited (but shrunk to be internet friendly)

OBZ_005937.NEF by ObesAu, on Flickr
    Last edited by Obes; 28-11-2010 at 10:42pm.
    Sean O'Brien
    Harsh C&C always wanted, it's usually the best sort.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast