User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Please help me choose a macro lens for a Nikon D90

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Please help me choose a macro lens for a Nikon D90

Let me say in advance I know very little about cameras which is why I've come here for help. I did try doing my own research via Google but frankly all the terminology left me pretty confused and with no idea how to really compare lenses.

Last year my wife bought a Nikon D90 with two lenses included - Nikkor VR 18-55mm and Nikkor VR 55-200mm. She's done great with those shooting landscapes and birds in trees, but lately she's been talking about wanting to do macro photography, especially insects, butterflies, flowers, that sort of thing (she's very much into nature photography, so I expect that fast focusing is going to be one priority).

I know she'd love to be able to take photos like the ones here, for example -- http://webdesignledger.com/inspirati...ro-photography -- epecially those shots with amazing depth of field.

With a budget of, say $1000-1500, what macro lens would be a good choice for her, and why? Links to photographs taken using that lens, and/or shops in Sydney that sell it, would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lindsay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a lengthy discussion on this very issue going on right now here

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So there is, thanks

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In your budget / price range I really feel that the Sigma 150mm and a reliable tripod will be a perfect match for your requirements.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Have briefly used the Sigma 150 after recommending it to Helmut and he has posted a few shots from it at --- http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...2.8-Macro-Lens --- it would be my pick of lenses in that price range for macro work.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I@M - just one thing, how essential is the tripod? I think my wife is more likely to want to drive to a park and photograph whatever she happens to find, so it would most likely be handheld.

The photos in that thread you recommend are stunning, thanks for that. If she can take photos like that with her D90, she'll be over the moon!

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You listed a link to some photos that she admired, the webdesigner address, and I suspect some of them were done with tripod support and off camera flash to light them.

The images that I linked that were taken by Helmut ( a nearly neighbour + AP member are mostly hand held ) but when needed, the tripod and corresponding fitted tripod foot on the Sigma lens work well.

The other thing to consider is that Helmut was working a bit closer to the subject ( or cropping a little more heavily ) as he is using an FX format camera rather than a DX D90 so the actual field of view and working distance favours the D90.

A review of the 150mm Sigma on a dx Nikon body can be read at http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikko...w--test-report

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    although a bit shorter, the nikkor 105mm micro is a good lens and within that budget.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shooting bugs and a large price range like that... I reckon the nikon 200mm f4

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/200_4d_micro

dont forget lighting. nikon make a twin light macro system which should work well.

http://www.d-d-electronics.com.sg/pr...edlight-.html#
    Last edited by ving; 26-11-2010 at 3:37pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go for the R1 twin light macro system and 105mm VR since you're handheld.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add a spanner in the works a Sigma 180 mm if you can find one, Robber fly taken with this lens, i always use a tripod though!
    Margaret

Fuji XT2 Manfrotto MF 055XPROB Pro Tripod & gynbal head, Fuji 18-55 mm, Fuji 14 mm, Fuji 55-200 mm, Fuji 80 mm macro, Fuji 60mm macro, Fuji 100-400 mm, SB600 Speedlight, Photoshop, Lightroom on a Mac, Critiques welcomed

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we were looking for simlar thing and up until now looking at the images posted here was VERY happy with our Tammy 90 for macro shots, some amazing images. I am now wondering if the extra length of the 150 over the 90mm is a huge advantage. We are having to get just that little bit closer to the subject and therefore often more then not spooking them off, then again thats photographing animals i guess.

I do like the Tammy 90mm but will now me looking for something a big bigger i think.