Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monopod and which head?

Hi
    Hoping someone will be able to help with some advice.

I have decided to buy a monopod in the hope that it will help me take sharper photos.

I mostly take photos outside - at horse events, in the paddock, down the bush so a tripod is not very practical. I aspire to take some decent in focus images of birds.

I have a Canon 50D plus a 70-200mm f2.8 IS II lens. I will buy a teleconverter for this lens when Canon version III hits the streets in Dec.

I have read lots of reviews, checked out some previous threads here and simply trawled through as much stuff as I can find. I have become a litle confused.

The monopod that I am most interested in is the Manfrotto 685B Neotec Deluxe (with safety lock). Any comments?

I believe that I need to get a head. Ball? Grip? Swivel?

Suggestions I found when checking out the info were.....
    ball head 484RC2,
    488RC2 (midi ball head?)..plus RC2 rapid connect system 3157N
    322RC grip head,

I have no clear idea what these things mean except the way the camera can be positioned is affected by the style of the head. I think that the ball head sounds what I'm looking for????? Is it easier to use than the other style/s?

Is there a need for a rapid connect system? Is this just like the plate that goes on the top of the tripod?

Not sure which size of head is appropriate for my gear. Hoping you can help.

Thanks and Cheers
    Lal
    Last edited by la lumiere; 24-11-2010 at 10:31pm.
    The Impressionists hoped to........" Capture the transient effect of light and colour"........ I wish I could!