Hi guys,

I am just new to the forum and have been amazed by some of the photos posted up by the members! I always enjoyed taking photos with my old P&S, but it wasn't until I started looking into SLR cameras, that my eyes were opened to the possibilties of SLR photography. Researching online and coming across this forum, my interest grew rapidly, and here I am...

I'm only 19 and have just bought my first SLR camera, a Canon 1000D with the 18-55mm IS kit lens. I'm about to head off for a trip to New York and really wanted to be able to bring home a photo collection to be proud of.

I am now in the hunt for an additional lens. I was after something which would be appropriate for capturing photos of architecture, landscapes and close ups of people/objects (Common situations on my holiday). In the few days of having my new camera, I've played around with close up's and am quite happy with how the kit lens performs (see below for a link to a few photos I have taken). I'm only a beginner and with my budget (being a poverty stricken uni student ), I'm not expecting the flashest set up in the world. With only 3x optical zoom however, I am interested in a lens that would offer a little more.

I'd appreciate it if any of you would point me in the right direction for a budget lens that I should look at taking into consideration the above factors. As I said, I am a beginner, so please tell me if you think I should be looking for something else rather than more zoom capabilities for capturing photos of buildings/objects that I may come across in New York. Obviously I will use it for other things than my holiday as I am fast becoming addicted to the whole Photography scene .

From what I've read, it's well worth looking into the Tamron range?

Cheers,
Robbie

Here are a few photo's I've taken: http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p...e/Photography/