Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Canon Macro Lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon Macro Lens

Hi every body,
    This is my first post so please be gentle (hehe)
    Been using a Canon 50mm Macro on a 1000D ( Enjoy the details of flowers and maybe some bugs) now i want to upgrade to the 100mm, beside price is there much of a differnece between the IS L and the standard 100mm lens most of my shots are hand held, so Im sorta leaning towards the IS. Also I keep looking at the Sigma 150mm Macro, there is a new 150mm on Sigmas site but no price. What are your thoughts on the 3.

Thanks for your time, and apologies if this question has been asked before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never used the L version, but I am VERY happy with the speed of focus if used on AF and the sharpness of the standard 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro
    Steve

Equipment: A couple of Canons with some lenses and a heap of enthusiasm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have just bought the Canon standard 100mm f2.8 USM Macro and I am also very impressed with it`s speed of focus and sharpness, also is very good for portraits as well.
    Mike
    Canon 5DmkII, Canon 1DmkIIN, EF 24-105 f4LIS, EF 70-200 f2.8LIS, EF 135 f2L,EF 300 f4LIS, EF 17-40 f4L, EF 100 f2.8 Macro USM, Sigma 50 f1.4 EXDG, 580EX & 420EX,Cokin P filters.
    Tamrac Ultra Pro 17 bag,Lowpro Toploader 75AW,Lowpro Outback 200 belt pack,Black Rapid RS-5 and R-3,Aperture 3,Elements 8.
    Wacom Intuos 4 tablet.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have this lens and am very pleased with it.

Paul

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope we are allowed to post links.
    Nardes on this page has a ripper of a shot with the 100mm f2.8 macro.
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...799284&page=25

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the new one, which is undoubtedly one of Canon's sharpest lenses, though I understand that the older model is not far behind it. Something to remember with the IS on the new one is that it does not correct for backward & forward movement, which is a very easy way to get way out of focus when shooting macro. I don't know anything about the Sigma, but could imagine it being inconveniently long on a crop body. The non L Canon seems like it is probably the best value for money to me, but the new one is wonderful if you can afford the best.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can afford either, I cannot imagine a reason not to buy the IS 'L'. I love mine. The IS gives it more flexibility as a lens shooting hand held portraits and even as a low light lens.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help guys, looks like the IS L version.
    Those photos are amazing.

Thanks again.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option to consider... get the 100mm non-L lens and use the money saved to pair it up with an MT-14 or MT-24 macro flash. Personally I found that the move to a macro flash was a much bigger step forward than my move from a 60mm macro to 100mm L IS macro.

That said, the 100 L IS is a superb lens... so wouldn't blame you for buying one!
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 & 7D2 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 35 f/1.4 L II | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arg View Post
    If you can afford either, I cannot imagine a reason not to buy the IS 'L'. I love mine. The IS gives it more flexibility as a lens shooting hand held portraits and even as a low light lens.
    Yes, I'm of the same opinion, if your interested the EF 100 f2.8L also makes an absolutely brilliant portrait lens, and yes the IS is awful handy
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".