User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: 1st DSLR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st DSLR

I now have my first DSLR, a 50D with a couple of lenses, grip & flash.

OMG so many buttons, looks like I will be spending some time just trying to figure it all out...starting with the "New to Photograpgy" section.

Now I just need a cheap but almost decent tripod (under $250) that will last me a bit till I can save some more.

Let the fun begin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like you are ready for action and a lot of fun. There is plenty of info here about how to approach using a dslr. Get out of auto or program mode asap and learn how to use aperture, speed priority and manual to your advantage. Read you manual from cover to cover and mark the relevant pages of most importance. I don`t know what your skill level is or your experience with an slr and particularly with a digital slr. Hopefully others with more experience than I will chime in and set you on the right course.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by old dog: I don`t know what your skill level is or your experience with an slr and particularly with a digital slr.

In a word: newbie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK......well try and use the advice I have provided then. Spend some dollars and buy `Understanding Exposure` by Bruce Peterson or other similar books. A wealth of information in this book as to how different apertures give different results. Also manual mode is so easy...just means rotating a couple of dials nearly everytime you take a shot....and after a very short time it becomes second nature. Aperture priority is a snack too. Personally I don`t use auto anything as you have more control over things. I only ramp up the iso if the shutter speed is too slow. Same with the aperture....open the lens more if shutter too slow but careful about the quality if the lens is opened right up. I hope I have given a bit of useful info. Have a look at the New to Photography area on this site as well as any other thread or area that explains basically what I have said. cheers and have fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silkdiver View Post
    Now I just need a cheap but almost decent tripod (under $250) that will last me a bit till I can save some more.
    Have a look at the Benro range available from http://www.photo-shop-studio.com/eng...+%26+Ball+head

They're reasonably priced, and very solid. You should be able to get something to suit your needs within your budget.
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the Slik Sprint Pro II for $120. Small and light enough for travel, goes full height. Quite flexible in its setup options, decent quality (all-metal joints). Not suited for big tele lenses of course.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up buying the Manfrotto 055xprob with 498rc2 head, a bit more than I had budgeted but it should last me a while.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now you are armed and dangerous!!!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oriignally posted by ving : now you are armed and dangerous!!!

EXTREMELY dangerous, cos I have no idea what I am doing...YET!!!
    I did manage to take a couple of photos of a care-flight 'copter taking off on the weekend, in ummm auto of course. I just need to figure out how to post process the raw file now, so more reading

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go get em !!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silkdiver View Post
    I now have my first DSLR, a 50D with a couple of lenses, grip & flash. :
    Good one Silk, you'll be happy with what I class as a very capable camera, I was given a great piece of advice when I got my camera, If you use the sponsors link above goto fishpond, and search for "Magic Lantern Books, add Canon 50D" You can get a book, or a Book nad DVD, the Book and DVD is fantastic, sit on the lounge, camera in hand and dvd playing, very easy to follow and learn.

Have fun..
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Good one Silk, you'll be happy with what I class as a very capable camera, I was given a great piece of advice when I got my camera, If you use the sponsors link above goto fishpond, and search for "Magic Lantern Books, add Canon 50D" You can get a book, or a Book nad DVD, the Book and DVD is fantastic, sit on the lounge, camera in hand and dvd playing, very easy to follow and learn.

Have fun..

Thanks Roosta, fishpond also have free shipping at the moment, and wow almost half the price that a local camera store was going to charge me
    And yes I managed to find the link so that AP benefits as well.