Thread: Using Google Earth Maps

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using Google Earth Maps

Very useful but very frustrating.

Mongo has found the satellite map he wants annotated with towns and main roads etc. He has zoomed in to frame the exact portion of the map he wants.

NOW – how do you take a copy of that framed portion of the map only without getting a whole load of useless stuff. The “save as” or “save this frame” functions do not work and only get you a load of useless stuff NOT including the framed portion you wanted.

Is it just Mongo or can this not be done.

It is important that Mongo urgently send this portion of map (with Mongo’s additional annotations) by email overseas to identify the location of something . If a Jpeg or similar copy is possible to add text to - it would be great.

Any help desperately and gratefully welcomed.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If using google earth as opposed to google maps, the ability to create a "placemark" and save that as a .kmz file that can be emailed and opened by another google earth user to "go straight to" the location that you have placemarked.

If using google maps, the send command (between print and link above the map / image) seems to open an email dialogue to allow you to share the location.

Other than that I dunno.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find using google map links somewhat problematic for some reason. I usually just save a jpeg image using a freebie screen capture program called ScreenHunter which I downloaded from somewhere. This is for PC, don't know if there is a Mac version.

You can assign a hot-key to the program. When the program opens you can define the upper-left and lower-right points of what is to be captured by dragging (a bit like a crop-tool). After the screen capture is saved I open it and add any arrows, text, etc that I need to. I usually use MS-Paint for this because it is quick loading and provides sufficient functionality, but of course any image editing software will do.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows 7 has this built in - the Snipping Tool. Sounds a little painful, but it is as simple to use as Screenhunter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at the very worst you could just use the 'Print Screen' key on your keyboard then open up MS paint and press 'cntrl v' to paste the screen capture in. this will work on just about any winblows OS.
    Some Nikon stuff... gerrys photo journey
    https://plus.google.com/+GerardBlacklock
    No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mongo
    I have never found a way to copy or cut & paste google maps or earth ?
    You can email the link to your friend & just align the map first so the feature is in the centre.

Thanks to the other posters for the ScreenHunter tip, I will have to give it ago.
    Cheers
    Col

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sincere thanks guys. There are some workable ideas in this lot including using Mrs Mongo's latest computer which uses windows 7 as suggested above.
    Also , since posting Mongo's question he just thought that , worst case, he would simply take a jpeg photo of his monitor and them load it into photoshop for more annotations.

thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JPEG? What the? You really should be shooting in raw, you know

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's got too much fur on to shoot in raw, he needs to wear his jpeg's

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerry View Post
    at the very worst you could just use the 'Print Screen' key on your keyboard then open up MS paint and press 'cntrl v' to paste the screen capture in. this will work on just about any winblows OS.
    THIS is about the only way, Mongo. (But Paint??? I'd use the like of Photoshop, and crop to requirements.) And another thing, Google Earth? Not Google Maps?
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the print screen method, but for clutter(less) images try http://www.nearmap.com/ in some places its coverage is no where near as good as google but in others its much better

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    again, thanks guys. Mongo will try some of these methods with the benifitt of time eventually but for the urgency of the moment, Mongo ended up photographing the monitor and making changes in photoshop

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do a screen capture using "grab" (a Mac program). Just screen capture it, edit to delete the extra bits, save as a jpeg and away you go. You can turn labels in googlemaps on or off as you want before you screen capture. If you need to annotate anything on the map, you do that after you have reopened it in PS. I tried to do some examples but it won't attach them, stupid program!
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pressing the PrtScn button and then pasting into Photoshop works fine for Windows XP, Vista and 7. Crop and adjust once in PS

Depending on what you want to use the image for it might be worth turning Terrain off in GoogleEarth options before capturing the images (to avoid the distortion that terrain introduces).
    Craig

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo ended up photographing the monitor and making changes in photoshop
    I'm sorry....what???
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rellik666 View Post
    I'm sorry....what???
    True - Mongo did this and it worked ! - no apologies for getting the job done one way or the other.